BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

4 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’m struggling to recall a time in my 50 years watching when we ever had two keepers vying for the shirt when they weren’t both a bit shit. Sir Roger, Gennoe, Friedal held the shirt for 20+ years between them and I have no idea who their number 2s were.

Flowers and Given is the most recent one. When Robinson was here we had Mark Bunn (plus Jason Brown and Frank Fielding). Friedel was a one-off and we were spoiled. The guy used to do 15 minutes of yoga on the pitch by himself before every game.

But two number one’s not the issue, we don’t have one credible number two and Raya isn’t being pushed. He makes mistakes and is never rested. Raya isn’t great but I’m always dreading him getting injured.

We often have had bang average number 2s, but a clutch of top class number 1s made it less of an issue.

Now we don’t even have the 1. 

Its pretty simple to me. 10 years ago, a promising young keeper like Raya would have been loaned out to the lower leagues, making these mistakes on someone else’s watch.

However, we are now said lower league club, so we get to see these young lads warts and all. 

If the club wants to be more than just a second division also ran (at best), more experience is needed in all positions.

Raya, in some respects, is worse than last year. He pulled off some sensational saves last season whilst at the same time being so bad at crosses that he kept dropping them at the feet of strikers. The latter he has actually improved on, he drops far less than he did. However he no longer makes the brilliant saves. The SWFC 4th goal epitomised that, he'd have thrown his cap on that last season. 

A new keeper was touted by Mowbray last summer to put pressure on Raya. It was in the LT week after week as a position Mowbray wanted to fill. Again it was a failure of recruitment, just like the CB situation now. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Raya, in some respects, is worse than last year. He pulled off some sensational saves last season whilst at the same time being so bad at crosses that he kept dropping them at the feet of strikers. The latter he has actually improved on, he drops far less than he did. However he no longer makes the brilliant saves. The SWFC 4th goal epitomised that, he'd have thrown his cap on that last season. 

A new keeper was touted by Mowbray last summer to put pressure on Raya. It was in the LT week after week as a position Mowbray wanted to fill. Again it was a failure of recruitment, just like the CB situation now. 

If memory serves me correctly a goalkeeper was the first position we were linked with strengthening last summer. Strong rumours linking us with Frank Fielding. When that didn't materialise nothing else was heard about that position. A bit like after we missed out on Bauer that was the end of the centre back pursuit.

Just now, JHRover said:

If memory serves me correctly a goalkeeper was the first position we were linked with strengthening last summer. Strong rumours linking us with Frank Fielding. When that didn't materialise nothing else was heard about that position. A bit like after we missed out on Bauer that was the end of the centre back pursuit.

Yep Fielding was the one we were strongly linked with. Mowbray actually was quoted as saying he wanted a new keeper. From then on the LT said a new keeper was one of Mowbray's priorities whenever they gave an update on what the club wanted. Instead we got 27 midfielders and a young lad who cost more than GDP of the Isle of Man. 

Just now, JHRover said:

I think you've put your finger on where the transfer window went wrong. Pretty sure that Mowbray's priorities were an experienced reserve goalkeeper and Bauer. Fielding wanted to come back to Blackburn but whilst trying to negotiate his release he got injured. Pretty sure we missed Bauer through Levy type bidding and letting Charlton sell their other Centre back before a move was made. Believe that late on Mowbray went after Foderingham but obviously that came to nothing. Probably all tied up in getting the Brereton deal over the line. Suspect none of this was Mowbray's fault.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

We had John Filan for ages, he wasn't bad but never got a look in.

Eh? My memory is that in Woy's time (I think) Filan was chosen ahead of Flowers and Flowers left for Leicester.

Is my memory faulty (again)?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’m struggling to recall a time in my 50 years watching when we ever had two keepers vying for the shirt when they weren’t both a bit shit. Sir Roger, Gennoe, Friedal held the shirt for 20+ years between them and I have no idea who their number 2s were.

Wasn't the excellent Paul Bradshaw second in line towards the end of Sir Roger's time here?  Can't remember who would have been his deputy when he first arrived. Any Club in the Country would kill for just one keeper like that these days. Bit like having Banks and Shilton.

On the flip side of the coin John Butcher was pretty terrible so his number two can't have been all that. Although I thought at the time Butcher needed to be axed so maybe the number two at the time was passable.

12 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

On the flip side of the coin John Butcher was pretty terrible so his number two can't have been all that. Although I thought at the time Butcher needed to be axed so maybe the number two at the time was passable.

Yep, he wasn't good.  Wasn't he a back up though?  To Jim Arnold maybe?  My memories are getting to Ewood only to feel really let down if Butcher trotted out.

Not looking good for Bolton. Another 11th hour Anderson special in the offing?

Takeover talks have broken down. Maybe they expect to be dealing with an administrator very shortly.

Meanwhile HMRC have another go.

The Raya situation is puzzling because he is capable of a brilliance few keepers can achieve. Worryingly he appears to be making basic mistakes. He looks like he is in need of one of those coaches that bowlers and golfers sometimes have who can deconstruct and re-assemble his game. I recall Roger Jones once suddenly got similar technique problems but they disappeared when John McNamee swaggered into town and let the opposition know that any assaults on Jones would be met with a retribution that would be long and painful. To be fair to Raya, every other team in the division have centre backs who take responsibility for heading the ball. I think that the situation is loaded against Raya at the moment. There appears to be a convention that at set pieces the area up to yard inside either post is not the goalkeeper's responsibility. Which means attackers often defend these areas. Antonsson, Samuel and Nuttall have all been dreadful and Graham is hit and miss. It looks to be an area where a strong GK coach would be demanding that other coaches sort their charges out. I don't think Raya will ever be good in traffic but few are. Can only think if Leyland, Blacklaw, Bradshaw (possibly) and Filan (certainly) who enjoyed this aspect which makes it a pity that Filan is no longer on the staff. Mind you I'm sure that there is an oldish ex reserve goalkeeper around Darwen who could give a few tips. No goalkeeper in history ever went in where it hurt as much as John Wood.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

As if they're going to pay their debts within two weeks??!!

I've never known a club get so much favourable treatment. Talk about double standards....

Edited by K-Hod

Just now, K-Hod said:

As if they're going to pay their debts within two weeks??!!

I've never known a club get so much favourable treatment. Talk about double standards....

Not sure if the Football League has any sway in this (guessing not as its a HMRC) but they really wouldn't want a club to go into Admin when there are supposedly rules to stop this stuff from happening.

In Bolton's case they signed players they couldn't afford (didn't live within their means) and their owner clearly isn't fit or proper to own a football club.

Just now, davulsukur said:

Not sure if the Football League has any sway in this (guessing not as its a HMRC) but they really wouldn't want a club to go into Admin when there are supposedly rules to stop this stuff from happening.

In Bolton's case they signed players they couldn't afford (didn't live within their means) and their owner clearly isn't fit or proper to own a football club.

I have it on very good authority that the Premier League have an emergency fund of hundreds of millions just in case a big club falls foul of the rules to ensure something similar cannot happen to them. Unbelievable really and goes a long way to explain the recklessness of Premier League finances.

It's quite laughable that the most likely club to get a points deduction (though still waiting on that front) is Birmingham City, for the 'crime' of investing recklessly into new players, yet Bolton have for the last 3 years continually faced winding up petitions, unpaid tax bills, unpaid wages, been on the cusp of administration/liquidation and have signed players seemingly under false pretences (Forest Green Rovers).

Which 'crime' is greater? The club with owners with ambition and cash to invest or the club with all sorts of dodgy goings on who don't pay tax or their players and staff?

Meanwhile Bolton are still not facing any league sanctions, are still in theory in with a chance of survival.

Ludicrous.

• Like 1