Cherry Blue

Championship 2018-19

Steve Bruce wasted no time in sorting Sheffield Wednesday out. 4 clean sheets on the bounce for them having been a defensive shambles not long ago.

Another manager who understands that to get anywhere in this league you need to sort out the defence first and build from that. Criticism from those who think that constitutes negative football yet it will get them up the table whilst 'exciting' Villa ship goals galore.

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Steve Bruce wasted no time in sorting Sheffield Wednesday out. 4 clean sheets on the bounce for them having been a defensive shambles not long ago.

Another manager who understands that to get anywhere in this league you need to sort out the defence first and build from that. Criticism from those who think that constitutes negative football yet it will get them up the table whilst 'exciting' Villa ship goals galore.

Every good manager knows the value of a good defence. Mowbray's comments about not being arsed about our leaky defence in that context are utterly mental...and very worrying. 

Edited by blueboy3333

30 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Every good manager knows the value of a good defence. Mowbray's comments about not being arsed about our leaky defence in that context are utterly mental...and very worrying. 

When I read his comments that you outline after Brentford I was also very worried. However, he completely countered that by 180 degrees in a recent interview with Radio Lancashire where he mentioned failing to get promoted with Armstrong, Murphy and Maddison etc at Coventry. He was talking about how poor their defence was and how it cost them promotion, implying he does know that improvements are needed for us to have any upward looking aspirations. Whether he can sort it out or not will probably determine the direction of this club for the next few years...

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

On the flipside scoring one goal in 3 games against 3 of the worst teams in the championship. 

I hate to piss on your Bruce love in but we also kept a clean sheet against Ipswich and Millwall a few weeks ago whilst scoring a few more too. We may well do the same against Reading tonight.....

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

On the flipside scoring one goal in 3 games against 3 of the worst teams in the championship. 

I hate to piss on your Bruce love in but we also kept a clean sheet against Ipswich and Millwall a few weeks ago whilst scoring a few more too. We may well do the same against Reading tonight.....

Let's see how many times they concede 3,4 or 5 in a game between now and the end of the season.

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Let's see how many times they concede 3,4 or 5 in a game between now and the end of the season.

I’ve got a bet on with a Wendy that we’ll finish above them and I’m still massively confident.

They weren’t conceding too many before Bruce came in (Jos playing a flat back 10), but they haven’t scored more than one in game since we tonked them and then they drew with Rotherham in early December. 

They are crap, they might not concede as many in a game, but we will get more points.

9 hours ago, JHRover said:

He wasn't in charge for the first of them.

So his record reads: 5 points from Reading, Millwall and Ipswich. If we'd have drawn 0-0 against Millwall and Reading... 

29 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

He wasn't in charge for the first of them.

So his record reads: 5 points from Reading, Millwall and Ipswich. If we'd have drawn 0-0 against Millwall and Reading... 

We drew 2-2 with Reading and 0-0 with Millwall at home, we play Reading tonight and Millwall away was one of the worst games of football ever seen, though granted we got a very good win there.

He'll make them very difficult to beat and I'd expect them to be up there  next season.

33 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I’ve got a bet on with a Wendy that we’ll finish above them and I’m still massively confident.

They weren’t conceding too many before Bruce came in (Jos playing a flat back 10), but they haven’t scored more than one in game since we tonked them and then they drew with Rotherham in early December. 

They are crap, they might not concede as many in a game, but we will get more points.

We should finish above them. We were miles ahead at the end of January and they've had a month without a manager and been under Ffp sanctions all season.

36 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We drew 2-2 with Reading and 0-0 with Millwall at home, we play Reading tonight and Millwall away was one of the worst games of football ever seen, though granted we got a very good win there.

He'll make them very difficult to beat and I'd expect them to be up there  next season.

We would have lost to Reading if not for the generosity of Paul McShane. We were absolutely appalling in that match, two down after 25 minutes and defensively all over the place. Clawed back a point with two penalties, didn't look like we'd score from open play in a million years. We've improved since then but anybody thinking tonight will be an easy three points has already forgotten how poor we are and have been the entire season defensively. Only Ipswich, Rotherham and Villa have conceded more than us. Reading have actually conceded 44 compared to our 47, but they've score 10 less goals than us which puts them in the position they're in. 

6 hours ago, DE. said:

We would have lost to Reading if not for the generosity of Paul McShane. We were absolutely appalling in that match, two down after 25 minutes and defensively all over the place. Clawed back a point with two penalties, didn't look like we'd score from open play in a million years. We've improved since then but anybody thinking tonight will be an easy three points has already forgotten how poor we are and have been the entire season defensively. Only Ipswich, Rotherham and Villa have conceded more than us. Reading have actually conceded 44 compared to our 47, but they've score 10 less goals than us which puts them in the position they're in. 

Not how I felt about that game. I absolutely couldn't believe Reading went 2 up. Entirely against the run of play and undeserved in the extreme. We did falter a bit after that but we still should have won. One of our most confusing results for me. Sometimes it's not your day in terms of the rub. At least one of the goals we conceded was horrendous defensively though I agree.

17 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Not how I felt about that game. I absolutely couldn't believe Reading went 2 up. Entirely against the run of play and undeserved in the extreme. We did falter a bit after that but we still should have won. One of our most confusing results for me. Sometimes it's not your day in terms of the rub. At least one of the goals we conceded was horrendous defensively though I agree.

In fairness it was the first half where we were abysmal, we did improve in the second half but still looked useless going forward. Dack wasn't playing though which largely explains that. I don't think we can call ourselves unlucky in that match considering we got two penalties! We let in two very poor goals and if you can't keep it tight at the back you'll never get anywhere, as history has proven time and time again. It's an area Mowbray doesn't seem to consider important which is a big concern. 

38 minutes ago, DE. said:

In fairness it was the first half where we were abysmal, we did improve in the second half but still looked useless going forward. Dack wasn't playing though which largely explains that. I don't think we can call ourselves unlucky in that match considering we got two penalties! We let in two very poor goals and if you can't keep it tight at the back you'll never get anywhere, as history has proven time and time again. It's an area Mowbray doesn't seem to consider important which is a big concern. 

Thought the opposite, as I thought it was ridiculously against the play for us to be 2 down. We were all over them until the second went in (which was about the 25th min?).

It would have been daylight robbery for us to lose that game. We weren't lucky at all. Don't care how the goals came. Seem to remember the pens being completely legit too, but not sure this long later.

Agree with major concern about TM's lack of interest in improving our horrendous defence.

Just now, CP Company Lad said:

Not the Championship forum ? Banjo Billy Sharpe fan club. 

Top scorer in the League and a damn sight better than anything that you have up front.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Top scorer in the League and a damn sight better than anything that you have up front.

Good lad Billy. Had a spell at Leeds much like Billy Paynter. Both gash. Glad he has found his true home. Not a Premier League striker. Kemar Roofe is similar. Not good enough. Pat Bamford could be. 

12 hours ago, CP Company Lad said:

Norwich rolled over at Deepdale. No shock there really. 

I noticed yesterday that, much like us, Norwich are shipping more goals than their position can allow long term. I think they've conceded the most out of the top 9! Obviously they've been scoring a lot which keeps them up there, but much like with Rovers when those goals stop coming so frequently the tumble down the table begins... all great sides build from the back. 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I hope Sheffield united go up. A good honest and hard working team

They've also signed a raft of experienced players to be able to have an immediate impact rather than an assortment who aren't ready to play.

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

They've also signed a raft of experienced players to be able to have an immediate impact rather than an assortment who aren't ready to play.

They have, over time. 

22 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They have, over time. 

Wilder has been there 9 months longer than Mogga has at Rovers. He took over in L1. We'll see where we are in 9 months but I doubt it will be anywhere near the top 2. 

Reading living up to their billing as the worst team I've seen in this league by going 2 down inside 17 minutes. It beggars belief that we've given up 4 points to them.