BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

Mowbray's post-match comments, as quoted by the BBC are utterly astounding. he says the results have been terrible but the team hasn't!

Apparently its all because we have lost Lenihan to injury. Apparently we have no-one else who can "get the first ball".

Bloody incredible! If we are that desperate for one player to be available, why didn't TM recruit another centre-back in January as most of us were pleading for him to do?

Worse why did he release Downing, the only other traditional and dependable central defender we had?

Doesn't make any sense, I voted "reassess in summer" too but that quote is pushing me to one logical conclusion---he is not the man to take us upwards, forwards "yes", we'll probably get enough points to stay up again, "upwards" no,I don't think so anymore.

Edited by 47er
typo
  • Like 2

• Backroom
7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Sheff Utd...or the Blunts as @CP Company Lad used to call them. Lets hope he had a good scrap to compensate:rolleyes:

So gonna enjoy them failing to get up if it happens. 

They've had a thread on one of their messageboard for about 2 weeks now: "Potential targets  after promotion".

Methinks someone has "got ahead of themselves". 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Biz said:

As for bizarre comments - I couldn’t disagree more. Mowbray talks far more sense than many about football, especially a few on BRFCS ;) 

I was going to write that he talks more sense than you but, on reflection, he doesn't!

• Backroom

What a fantastic job Bruce has done so far at Sheff Weds. They were an absolute shambles when we played them a few months ago, and now they're rocketing up the league. No matter what you think of how they played today, our teams have essentially swapped positions since we hammered them 4-2. Now we're the team who can't defend and are struggling to pick up any semblance of form. 

7 hours ago, Biz said:

Finally - Raya. Still only young, can only get better but despite a few mistakes and slack distribution- I think we’ve got a potential first team stalwart for years to come.

How do you work this out? What natural law is in place that states that young players "can only get better"? Why the eternal optimism? On what is it based?

Football is littered with young players who seemed to have the world at their feet but tailed off and never "made it".

You cannot possibly state with any assurance which way Raya will go. For me he should be replaced as senior goal-keeper at this stage.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 47er said:

How do you work this out? What natural law is in place that states that young players "can only get better"? Why the eternal optimism? On what is it based?

Football is littered with young players who seemed to have the world at their feet but tailed off and never "made it".

You cannot possibly state with any assurance which way Raya will go. For me he should be replaced as senior goal-keeper at this stage.

Experience and age tends to improve players. I think he’s a better keeper than he was 2 years ago and I think he will be better still in two years.

Playing behind a better organised and more confident defence would help!

15 hours ago, 47er said:

I was going to write that he talks more sense than you but, on reflection, he doesn't!

Compared to you? Ha. Now that is funny.

23 hours ago, Biz said:

Well starting with midfield, you’ve got Travis - who looks the real deal. Behind him, Davenport, Buckley etc

In attack, BB, Rankin C, Nuttall, Butterworth, etc

In Defence, Magliore, Wharton, Doyle and those already in the first 18, Nyambe, Lenihan etc.

Finally - Raya. Still only young, can only get better but despite a few mistakes and slack distribution- I think we’ve got a potential first team stalwart for years to come.

So johno has put the foundations in. Wait til Tony gets hold of them

‘Experience and age improves players’.

Yes, however for young players that often isn’t the case as they never kick on from their initial potential for a variety of reasons. Tomlinson a perfect example.

That is why we cannot have another window like last summer where it is mainly just young players being brought in.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Yes, however for young players that often isn’t the case as they never kick on from their initial potential for a variety of reasons. Tomlinson a perfect example.

That is why we cannot have another window like last summer where it is mainly just young players being brought in.

Improve some players, no-one denies that. But others fall by the wayside and Biz knows that really.

16 hours ago, Biz said:

Experience and age tends to improve players. I think he’s a better keeper than he was 2 years ago and I think he will be better still in two years.

Playing behind a better organised and more confident defence would help!

He needs some competition and an experienced mentor.

Leutweiler is a neither, and if our goalkeeping coach was any good he’d still be playing himself - he’s only 28. Only 5 years older than Raya. That’s a novice training a novice!

Mowbray’s back room team leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Believe it or not, I am aware that not all young players reach their potential for various reasons, and I also said I think Raya would be helped by a more settled and better quality defence - which is precisely what you point towards the necessity of recruiting in the summer. 

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

He needs some competition and an experienced mentor.

Leutweiler is a neither, and if our goalkeeping coach was any good he’d still be playing himself - he’s only 28. Only 5 years older than Raya. That’s a novice training a novice!

Mowbray’s back room team leaves a lot to be desired.

The same context apply to Eddie Howe? 

How do you know the “qualities” of the coaching team? ‘Twas the same with Jal/Mercer and the “I hate David Lowe” club.

Since I’ve never done one of Bensons (or whatever he is called) sessions, I wouldn’t even attempt to judge his relevant qualities.

Edit - would I like to see more competition for that shirt? Potentially, but I don’t think leutwiler is a bad player, and what about Fisher?

Edited by Biz

Just now, Stuart said:

Results.

Funnily enough the same measure as Howe.

Over the time they’ve been here, the results have been decent.

Not world beating, but we aren’t doing badly in my opinion. I certainly wouldn’t say “we’ve been garbage all season”...

5 hours ago, Biz said:

How do you know the “qualities” of the coaching team? ‘Twas the same with Jal/Mercer and the “I hate David Lowe” club.

Since I’ve never done one of Bensons (or whatever he is called) sessions, I wouldn’t even attempt to judge his relevant qualities.

Edit - would I like to see more competition for that shirt? Potentially, but I don’t think leutwiler is a bad player, and what about Fisher?

He doesn't. 

clearly his kids haven't done one of Ben Benson keeper coaching session or know people kids who have. 

Ive been saying Raya need a good keeper to challenge him and raise his standards

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

He doesn't. 

clearly his kids haven't done one of Ben Benson keeper coaching session or know people kids who have. 

Ive been saying Raya need a good keeper to challenge him and raise his standards

I can't agree. How will a new keeper improve Raya's kicking and general decision making? I have my doubts whether a new coach can either because they both pretty much are natural traits. In my opinion he costs us too many goals and will continue to do so.

Just now, arbitro said:

I can't agree. How will a new keeper improve Raya's kicking and general decision making? I have my doubts whether a new coach can either because they both pretty much are natural traits. In my opinion he costs us too many goals and will continue to do so.

I think Raya need a challenge someone who will push him. 

Raya needs to work on those 2 areas but its only him who can do it. Hes knows he needs to aswwll

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I think Raya need a challenge someone who will push him. 

Raya needs to work on those 2 areas but its only him who can do it. Hes knows he needs to aswwll

If he needs somebody to come in and challenge him to improve him then that shows a lack of professionalism and application from Raya.

I don't doubt he works hard, knows his faults and tries to rectify them.

I just don't think he is or ever will be competent at all aspects of goalkeeping.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He doesn't. 

Benson putting on a session for kids does not suggest he can or cannot competently teach a professional goalkeeper at Championship level.

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

I’m with Chaddy on this one. A keeper without any pressure to keep his place will stagnate.

I’m struggling to recall a time in my 50 years watching when we ever had two keepers vying for the shirt when they weren’t both a bit shit. Sir Roger, Gennoe, Friedal held the shirt for 20+ years between them and I have no idea who their number 2s were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’m struggling to recall a time in my 50 years watching when we ever had two keepers vying for the shirt when they weren’t both a bit shit. Sir Roger, Gennoe, Friedal held the shirt for 20+ years between them and I have no idea who their number 2s were.

Only one I can recall was around the year 2000 when we had Kelly and filan

2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Keen and Eastwood