BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

Just now, Ladyboys of Bank Top said:

Why? 

Don’t think he’s a centre back if I’m being honest. His positioning is poor, he gets caught under the ball watching it too much.

Distrabution is good so it’d be nice to see him play further up.

51 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Don’t think he’s a centre back if I’m being honest. His positioning is poor, he gets caught under the ball watching it too much.

Distrabution is good so it’d be nice to see him play further up.

His distribution is the weakest part of his game, he was really underwhelming when he was playing in midfield to the extent that he couldnt get a guaranteed place amidst the shite group of central midfielders we had at the time.

He moved up a level when he went back one to centre back, his athleticism as @Ladyboys of Bank Top allows us to push up a bit due to his recovery. He is also very brave and hes the reason I find our constant yearning for an old school centre back slightly puzzling, when we have Lenihan who will put his head where it hurts but also has that athleticism.

Theres also the added dynamic of why would we want him in the "Smallwood role" when we have Smallwood?! 

Lenihan stepped up his game a lot when he moved back to centre back. He is a good centre back at Championship level whereas he leaves a lot of be desired in midfield.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

His distribution is the weakest part of his game, he was really underwhelming when he was playing in midfield to the extent that he couldnt get a guaranteed place amidst the shite group of central midfielders we had at the time.

He moved up a level when he went back one to centre back, his athleticism as @Ladyboys of Bank Top allows us to push up a bit due to his recovery. He is also very brave and hes the reason I find our constant yearning for an old school centre back slightly puzzling, when we have Lenihan who will put his head where it hurts but also has that athleticism.

Theres also the added dynamic of why would we want him in the "Smallwood role" when we have Smallwood?! 

Lenihan stepped up his game a lot when he moved back to centre back. He is a good centre back at Championship level whereas he leaves a lot of be desired in midfield.

Exactly. Lenihan is already a good Championship centre half and he’s still a young lad. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him playing Prem level in his later 20’s.

• Like 1

In an ideal world you'd have a centre half who was commanding in the air and the other centre half who was quick over the ground. We haven't got a centre half who's really commanding in the air. Downing is the nearest we have and he's only good enough as a back up player.

I don't think the Smallwood of the second half of last season will be good enough to play on a regular basis. We need a plan B there. It may be too soon for Travis and Tomlinson.

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In an ideal world you'd have a centre half who was commanding in the air and the other centre half who was quick over the ground. We haven't got a centre half who's really commanding in the air. Downing is the nearest we have and he's only good enough as a back up player.

I don't think the Smallwood of the second half of last season will be good enough to play on a regular basis. We need a plan B there. It may be too soon for Travis and Tomlinson.

But I feel like whats being missed is how good (or otherwise) Lenihan was when he played in midfield for us. His ball retention was nowhere near good enough, and he struggled to maintain a starting place despite the competition being Lowe, Akpan, Guthrie etc.

He moved back to centre back and him and Mulgrew struck up an excellent partnership, and are 2 of our key players and consistent performers. I feel like their actual defensive contribution is underestimated, neither are giants but they are decent aerially and they would be a lot less effective and leave a massive gap if they moved into midfield. 

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But I feel like whats being missed is how good (or otherwise) Lenihan was when he played in midfield for us. His ball retention was nowhere near good enough, and he struggled to maintain a starting place despite the competition being Lowe, Akpan, Guthrie etc.

He moved back to centre back and him and Mulgrew struck up an excellent partnership, and are 2 of our key players and consistent performers. I feel like their actual defensive contribution is underestimated, neither are giants but they are decent aerially and they would be a lot less effective and leave a massive gap if they moved into midfield. 

He moved to the back out of necessity. Lenihan could easily do the ball winner job in midfield that Smallwood does. 

20 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I agree with this. Mulgrew is actually very good in the air.

• Like 1

Good to see some of the players taking it upon themselves to get PT sessions over summer. The amount of money in the game, you'd think everyone would be doing this. However,  from social media half the squad have clearly having a good time in Ibiza/Marbella/Vegas over summer too.

Just now, OJRovers said:

Good to see some of the players taking it upon themselves to get PT sessions over summer. The amount of money in the game, you'd think everyone would be doing this. However,  from social media half the squad have clearly having a good time in Ibiza/Marbella/Vegas over summer too.

Disgraceful. Lock them up next summer to stop such shenanigans. 

Just now, OJRovers said:

Nothing wrong in letting their hair down for a couple of week ! When i have my holiday i certainly dont include any extra work related activities ..

As long as they put in the hard work pre season they ll be good to go !

• Like 2

All jokes aside and all that - we have been on the end of many and its not nice, this does not bode well for them. Attracting players will now become almost impossible and should these issues linger into the season as well...

For us, it looks like it might be one less team to worry about finishing above. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
19 hours ago, JacknOry said:

All jokes aside and all that - we have been on the end of many and its not nice, this does not bode well for them. Attracting players will now become almost impossible and should these issues linger into the season as well...

For us, it looks like it might be one less team to worry about finishing above. 

It'a amazing (and an indictment on the quality of the Championship) that they stayed up last season in all honesty. 

Bolton's chairman is blaming the players (whilst admitting he's ignoring the amounts they're entitled to in their contracts) and saying they'll be punished. Can't see that ending well.