BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

The only saving grace for QPR is that it's difficult to be cut a drift in the Championship, even with our disastrous start to the Coyle era we still managed to take it to the last day. If they make a change now a couple of results could swing things round for them quite quickly. Les Ferdinand and the CEO Hoos need to take responsibility for the appointment of McClaren, I want to say he's a busted flush although I'm not sure he was ever a flush to be honest.

15 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

The only saving grace for QPR is that it's difficult to be cut a drift in the Championship, even with our disastrous start to the Coyle era we still managed to take it to the last day. If they make a change now a couple of results could swing things round for them quite quickly. Les Ferdinand and the CEO Hoos need to take responsibility for the appointment of McClaren, I want to say he's a busted flush although I'm not sure he was ever a flush to be honest.

People can say what they like about McClaren but his record as a manager is far better than Coyles. Whilst he wouldn't have been top of my list his record in the Championship at Derby is pretty reasonable. He failed miserably with England and Newcastle. Also of importance was his 'head coach' suitability and willingness to work under a D of F. A lot of their odd decisions seem to have come under Les Ferdinand yet their fans won't really get on his back.

For all their problems and poor decisions I expect QPR will ditch him quite quickly and appoint someone else, rather than allow him to remain in place until February as we did with Coyle.

• Like 1

Agreed, I'm in no way comparing him to Coyle mind, just that in this league you can employ an absolute duffer and pick up very few points through winter and still come within a whisker of staying in the league, which is a pretty sad indictment of the quality in many ways, or at least the quality that season!

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

People can say what they like about McClaren but his record as a manager is far better than Coyles. Whilst he wouldn't have been top of my list his record in the Championship at Derby is pretty reasonable. He failed miserably with England and Newcastle. Also of importance was his 'head coach' suitability and willingness to work under a D of F. A lot of their odd decisions seem to have come under Les Ferdinand yet their fans won't really get on his back.

For all their problems and poor decisions I expect QPR will ditch him quite quickly and appoint someone else, rather than allow him to remain in place until February as we did with Coyle.

He has won the Dutch league and got Boro to a European final as well. He did ok with Derby too. He seems to either do well or fail miserably, never in the middle. I'd say its a safe bet he will be sacked by the time we play them in November. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Sums up how ridiculous it is though. QPR are supposedly under a transfer embargo as of January, so they've a narrow window to make signings to help them try and stay up, and can now go out and bring in decent signings like Wells and Hemed who will be on very good money.

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Sums up how ridiculous it is though. QPR are supposedly under a transfer embargo as of January, so they've a narrow window to make signings to help them try and stay up, and can now go out and bring in decent signings like Wells and Hemed who will be on very good money.

They are 2 good loan signings and QPR have done well to pull them off, but I do think that are being hurt by sanctions. Ultimately the 2 lads are on loan and we don't know the breakdown on who is paying their wages. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple will leave there before the deadline either. It could be a case of loans being brought in to allow for players to be sold. 

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

A manager and director of football seems like the new way of saying manager and head coach.

I don’t get this modern European idea of a DOF the manager should have complete control of all football matters. He has an assistant and coaches who train the team and get them fit.

• Like 3

surprised by Stoke struggle but their fans supposedly turned on Rowett and said he getting sack in the morning. He has spent a lot of money there and surprised by the poor results so far. I'm not saying he should be sack but I thought they would be better. 

Bolton win again. 

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

A manager and director of football seems like the new way of saying manager and head coach.

I don’t get this modern European idea of a DOF the manager should have complete control of all football matters. He has an assistant and coaches who train the team and get them fit.

Not really. 

A director of football is in charge of making signings, negotiating transfer bids and contracts, etc. Whilst Head coach focusing more on the training pitch, games and coaching the players. McClaren will suggest players but I would imagine its Les Ferdinand job to get the signings in. He will talk to McClaren about the players he was positions and then come up with shortlist then decide together who they go for. Its good when it works well. Lots of foreign clubs used it without a problem so why do we struggle in this country to accept it 

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

The only way I can see a D of F system working in British football is if the manager says "I want player X" to the D of F, who then goes and deals with the contracts, fees etc. and keeps the manager in the loop. Then, if the manager or the board balk at the cost, the D of F helps co-ordinate the scouting system to find a player Y the manager likes. So the manager has control of who comes in, but leaves the legal stuff to someone else.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

England basically had this system for years I believe. The FA suits picked the squad and the manager had to get on with it. It was only when Alf Ramsey was given control of the squad that we started to look a good team.

You believe?

Zero evidence I see. Or its because they dont pick the players you want? 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You believe?

Zero evidence I see. Or its because they dont pick the players you want? 

I'm talking back in the days before Alf  Ramsey. When you weren't even thought of. The FA Committee picked the squad/team and the manager had to get the best out of them. I thought it was common knowledge these days.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm talking back in the days before Alf  Ramsey. When you weren't even thought of. The FA Committee picked the squad/team and the manager had to get the best out of them. I thought it was common knowledge these days.

Sounds like cricket to this day. Now there's a sport with a school tie and blazer mentality.

• Like 1

From what I gather Bolton have lived a charmed life so far this season. Fair dos they've had some good results but by most accounts they were very fortunate to win vs West Brom, Reading and Birmingham. Last night their goal was from a blatant handball.

Nonetheless they've got themselves sorted out at the back it seems so no matter how good or bad you are if you don't concede many you'll do ok. That's my concern with us that we never appear to be far from conceding even when on top in games. Last night plenty of occasions where we were well on top and ended up in danger from nothing more than a long ball forward or smash up from the opposition. We seem to panic too much for my liking and struggle to absorb pressure.

• Like 2