BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm talking back in the days before Alf  Ramsey. When you weren't even thought of. The FA Committee picked the squad/team and the manager had to get the best out of them. I thought it was common knowledge these days.

Remember it well Tyrone.  Walter Winterbottom was the manager and was given the players and it was up to him to make the best of it.

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

That's my concern with us that we never appear to be far from conceding even when on top in games. Last night plenty of occasions where we were well on top and ended up in danger from nothing more than a long ball forward or smash up from the opposition. We seem to panic too much for my liking and struggle to absorb pressure.

I don't disagree with you but the fact of the matter is we have kept clean sheets in two of our four league games already. Fans of plenty of other clubs would be delighted with that, defensively. Not taking gilt-edged chances has arguably cost us more points than conceding too many goals. We should have won all four league games so far.

• Like 1

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

I don't disagree with you but the fact of the matter is we have kept clean sheets in two of our four league games already. Fans of plenty of other clubs would be delighted with that, defensively. Not taking gilt-edged chances has arguably cost us more points than conceding too many goals. We should have won all four league games so far.

Yes but the other way of looking at it is we've conceded 4 poor goals against poor sides in Ipswich and Reading and were very lucky not to concede vs Millwall.

Maybe I'm being over critical. I enjoy the way we play going forward and I think we'll cause everyone problems with our attacking play but do think that defensively we are to be got at. Long balls and set pieces in particular seem to be an issue.

To concede 2 at home last night v Reading was poor. We showed good character to fight back and get a point but really it was a position we shouldn't have got ourselves into and it prevented a win. Similar I suppose to Oldham at home last year where we gave away poor goals and then despite fighting back couldn't get the 3 points.

In terms of not taking chances it wouldn't matter if we only needed 1 to win games and we could defend resolutely the rest of the time, but when you need 3 to win as per Ipswich and Reading you're having to create an awful lot to get the required goals.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm talking back in the days before Alf  Ramsey. When you weren't even thought of. The FA Committee picked the squad/team and the manager had to get the best out of them. I thought it was common knowledge these days.

First Ive heard of it. 

But thanks for explaining. My apologises for getting the wrong end of the post. 

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Am I correct in thinking we have only suffered three defeats in the last FORTY competitive matches or something like that? It's a good habit is winning games. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

Am I correct in thinking we have only suffered three defeats in the last FORTY competitive matches or something like that? It's a good habit is winning games. 

That's a helluva record. The never-say-die attitude was fully evident last night. Great to see and it felt like a win.

• Like 2

Good news for us for the weekend from the FA Spokesperson account on twitter:

Neal Maupay will miss Brentford’s next three matches after accepting a charge of violent conduct. This follows an incident not seen by the match officials but caught on video in the 42nd minute of Wednesday’s game against Aston Villa [22/08/18].

• Like 2

2 hours ago, schoey said:

Good news for us for the weekend from the FA Spokesperson account on twitter:

Neal Maupay will miss Brentford’s next three matches after accepting a charge of violent conduct. This follows an incident not seen by the match officials but caught on video in the 42nd minute of Wednesday’s game against Aston Villa [22/08/18].

Big blow to them and good news for us - what is it 5 goals he has got already this season?

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

Yes but the other way of looking at it is we've conceded 4 poor goals against poor sides in Ipswich and Reading and were very lucky not to concede vs Millwall.

Maybe I'm being over critical. I enjoy the way we play going forward and I think we'll cause everyone problems with our attacking play but do think that defensively we are to be got at. Long balls and set pieces in particular seem to be an issue.

To concede 2 at home last night v Reading was poor. We showed good character to fight back and get a point but really it was a position we shouldn't have got ourselves into and it prevented a win. Similar I suppose to Oldham at home last year where we gave away poor goals and then despite fighting back couldn't get the 3 points.

In terms of not taking chances it wouldn't matter if we only needed 1 to win games and we could defend resolutely the rest of the time, but when you need 3 to win as per Ipswich and Reading you're having to create an awful lot to get the required goals.

Great post. 

Alternatively if we start taking our chances or getting a final ball in a bit better, that's another way of negating the fact we're a bit soft defensively. However, I imagine tightening things up at the back and getting back to basics would be an easier and more realistic fix. 

10 hours ago, Blue blood said:

I enjoy the way we play going forward and I think we'll cause everyone problems with our attacking play but do think that defensively we are to be got at. Long balls and set pieces in particular seem to be an issue.

No change from last season in that regard. We can include crosses in that too. If you watch Reading's 2nd goal Mulgrew allows their forward a free header which gets saved and put in on the rebound. Dreadful defending. 

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

But for 2 absolute clangers from Raya at Ipswich and against Reading we would be 2nd or 3rd in the table now.

He needs to be replaced if we have any ambitions of getting into the playoffs in the near future

Yup, I think we could and should have won all games to date but for poor finishing an errors at the back.

This does of course bode well but it just shows you how in this league you get punished more for your errors and for wasting chances.

Its just pleasing to be able to say that possibly bar Millwall, we have been the best team in all matches and had the big chances to win them.

Dont think he needs replacing but he does need stronger competition.

Edited by JacknOry

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

But for 2 absolute clangers from Raya at Ipswich and against Reading we would be 2nd or 3rd in the table now.

He needs to be replaced if we have any ambitions of getting into the playoffs in the near future

Wow. Not read anything as reactionary in a while.

Couldnt disagree more - I don’t think he’s been solely to blame for much, and I’d wager he’s going to be a top, top keeper. He’s nowhere near his prime and will only get better.

Williams hasn’t been playing, Nyambe is turning out great - are we moving onto Raya now?

There always has to be one scapegoat - it’s the Rovers way.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Raya wasnt at fault for ipswich goal. Fluke goal. 

And for me, Raya not at fault for the Reading goal either. Lenihan fault for me. 

Needs to be replaced? ?

I agree with @S8 & Blue that Rovers fans need a scapegoat

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Firmly facetious mate, like absolutely everything I’ve ever posted!

Just can’t even begin to understand the viewpoint tbh

Raya is definitely higher up the “More likely to cock up” scale than Smallwood for me.

Replacing him? That’s a bit far. Like driving to Chorley and ending up on the Isle of Man

Edited by Biz

• Backroom

Raya's decision making is still suspect, but ultimately he's a young keeper learning on the job. That's the risk you take playing younger players in general.

I'm more annoyed by our consistent 45-minute no-shows than Raya's individual performances. Mowbray really needs to get a grip on this because we aren't going to get away with it as often in this league as we did in the one below. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

And for me, Raya not at fault for the Reading goal either. Lenihan fault for me. 

Needs to be replaced? ?

It was a mistake from Lenihan that Raya didn't react to, he either needed to come out early or stay on his line. In the end he did neither and made a half-hearted attempt at getting to the big lad first. Lenihan and Raya were equally to blame in my eyes.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Needs to be replaced? ?

Raya did make 2 howlers v Ipswich, once rushing out only to slice it to an Ipswich player, and once his usual trick of flapping at a cross.

The first goal on Wednesday was at least 50% Rayas fault, and the second one I felt he should have done much more than parry it back into play. Basics.

Raya has always been very error prone, theres nothing wrong with pointing that out if its true, and using words like scapegoat is like saying to trust Mowbray or stop being negative, ie it is when you have nothing constructive to come back with.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Raya did make 2 howlers v Ipswich, once rushing out only to slice it to an Ipswich player, and once his usual trick of flapping at a cross.

The first goal on Wednesday was at least 50% Rayas fault, and the second one I felt he should have done much more than parry it back into play. Basics.

Raya has always been very error prone, theres nothing wrong with pointing that out if its true, and using words like scapegoat is like saying to trust Mowbray or stop being negative, ie it is when you have nothing constructive to come back with.

The second goal wasn't his fault at all, make a very good save and nothing to be blame for IMO. 

Well I was agree with another poster who suggestion some Rovers fans need a scapegoat and I agree with him. 

and I don't agree with him being very error prone either 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Raya is a class keeper. He makes mistakes, but most keepers do. I couldn't pin point something in his game that is a major concern. Young too. When/if he leaves here, I would imagine it will be to a bigger club. 

His kicking? His flapping at crosses? Both have got marginally better but they are still suspect to say the least.

45 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The second goal wasn't his fault at all, make a very good save and nothing to be blame for IMO. 

Well I was agree with another poster who suggestion some Rovers fans need a scapegoat and I agree with him. 

and I don't agree with him being very error prone either 

He got a big hand to it, its basic goalkeeping to tip it out of the danger zone rather than back into it.

He doesnt instill confidence. Has good reflexes and is very young but lets not pretend hes not partial to a mistake.

Raya in the main is fairly highly rated so your "scapegoating" line is rubbish. If players do well they get praised, if they make mistakes they get criticised.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

His kicking? His flapping at crosses? Both have got marginally better but they are still suspect to say the least.

He got a big hand to it, its basic goalkeeping to tip it out of the danger zone rather than back into it.

He doesnt instill confidence. Has good reflexes and is very young but lets not pretend hes not partial to a mistake.

Raya in the main is fairly highly rated so your "scapegoating" line is rubbish. If players do well they get praised, if they make mistakes they get criticised.

His kicking isn't great at times, but it's not so bad that I would be worried. I don't think he flaps an exceptional amount either. He is just a bit small I suppose. His reflexes and shot stopping are fantastic. If he played for another club, say Wigan or Bolton, I would be envious