BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

3 hours ago, itfc1963 said:

Greetings from an Ipswich outsider.  This has been a fascinating few pages to read, especially about Paul Lambert and how people think about him here.  From an Ipswich perspective, Chaddyrovers is pretty much on the money and seems to understand the situation here.  Most fans knew McCarthy would keep us competitive and out of relegation trouble, but the relationship had soured over the last two years (as it seemed to do at Wolves with him too).  It wasn't only that some of the football on display was atrocious (I think we had one shot on target in three consecutive home games earlier in the year), it was MM's constant boasting of his previous achievements and how we were effectively very lucky to have him - for a supposedly bluff Yorkshireman he seemed to have quite a thin skin too.  It wasn't really surprising that eventually some fans (not all) turned on him and the relationship worsened rapidly.  It sort of reached a nadir in his last derby when he visibly screamed at the fans to "f*** off".  Some of the flak hurled at Ipswich fans this season about McCarthy reminded me a bit about the abuse you lot got when Steve Kean left i.e. you have to have been a fan to understand.

We are generally a pretty tolerant lot, although certain elements are getting ideas above their station.  Everyone had high hopes for Paul Hurst but he seems to have made the cardinal sin of winding up the existing players from the off, and dropping our best, and three times player of the year Bialkowski.  We were absolute certainties for relegation under him, we might have a chance under a new manager.  In out present position with the complete absence of money to spend Lambert is about the best we could hope for I reckon, I couldn't give a stuff about his Norwich past (make it all the sweeter when we finally beat them).  If I was our owner I would have said to him you're here whether we're relegated or not so get your feet under the table and get stuck in.

Thankyou for the comments for praising my understanding of your situation. 

McCarthy and the fans relationship had reach the course and a change was needed badly. His action in the Norwich game shouldn't have happened. His style in the last 2 seasons also caused problems with fans who after so long in charge needed to change. 

I think Lambert will turn it around but will need a few signings in January. would be surprise if he signed a target man in January. Will Evans back Lambert with any funds? have you have heard of any coaching staff he would bring in?

Can I asked for your views on Hurst signings in the summer and have any had an impact so far?

2 hours ago, DE. said:

A section of fans wanted MM gone, but the owner and players did not want him to go, so I don't think that is really "suffice to say".

You're right that Evans is renowned for being honest with his managers about the conditions they'll be working under. That made Hurst's whining about lack of investment recently all the more pathetic. He knew exactly what he was walking into, but when he couldn't handle the job he turned around and blamed everybody but himself. 

Hurst sold players for 11 million but he did spent roughly 5 million pounds but not on the right time of players. 

1 hour ago, itfc1963 said:

No, the owner was quite clear in his interview after MM went that his role had run its course.  Not just because of the fans but because results had been deteriorating for two years.

did Marcus Evans try to talk McCarthy out of leaving or had that relationship run it course aswell? 

3 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Oh no he isn't ?

oh yes it is

One or two rumours that Ian Culverhouse might be going into Ipswich with Lambert. Culverhouse was his assistant at Norwich and early on at Villa before there was some sort of falling out and they haven't worked together since. A few say that Culverhouse was the one who did a lot of the training ground work and credit him with the best days of Lambert's career and argue that since they went their separate ways Lambert hasn't been the same.

The reason he's being linked is because he suddenly resigned as Grantham Town manager last week.

He's also a bit of a Norwich legend so would be a surprise if he turned up at Ipswich with Lambert.

Greetings from an Ipswich outsider.  This has been a fascinating few pages to read, especially about Paul Lambert and how people think about him here.  From an Ipswich perspective, Chaddyrovers is pretty much on the money and seems to understand the situation here.  Most fans knew McCarthy would keep us competitive and out of relegation trouble, but the relationship had soured over the last two years (as it seemed to do at Wolves with him too).  It wasn't only that some of the football on display was atrocious (I think we had one shot on target in three consecutive home games earlier in the year), it was MM's constant boasting of his previous achievements and how we were effectively very lucky to have him - for a supposedly bluff Yorkshireman he seemed to have quite a thin skin too.  It wasn't really surprising that eventually some fans (not all) turned on him and the relationship worsened rapidly.  It sort of reached a nadir in his last derby when he visibly screamed at the fans to "f*** off".  Some of the flak hurled at Ipswich fans this season about McCarthy reminded me a bit about the abuse you lot got when Steve Kean left i.e. you have to have been a fan to understand.

We are generally a pretty tolerant lot, although certain elements are getting ideas above their station.  Everyone had high hopes for Paul Hurst but he seems to have made the cardinal sin of winding up the existing players from the off, and dropping our best, and three times player of the year Bialkowski.  We were absolute certainties for relegation under him, we might have a chance under a new manager.  In out present position with the complete absence of money to spend Lambert is about the best we could hope for I reckon, I couldn't give a stuff about his Norwich past (make it all the sweeter when we finally beat them).  If I was our owner I would have said to him you're here whether we're relegated or not so get your feet under the table and get stuck in.

Echo many of the other posters on here in their thoughts. The Kean comparison is totally wrong and as people have said, Allardyce is a much more accurate comparison. Big personalities so will not sit idly by and take loads of stick without giving a bit back. And proven to get results above what the expectations are with limited players. 

There just seems to be a total disregard for the importance and difficulty of getting consistent results. Considering the budget he had, or didnt have, surely you will look back in a year or 2 (even now youve seen in a few months) how impressive his consistent league positions were?

Also, Lambert is not going to start playing attractive football. For me, it makes no sense to appoint Hurst and then Lambert. McCarthy seemingly was castigated for his style of play, Hurst was reknown for 1-0 wins (which is fine) but its like sacking the master for a watered down version of him. Then Lambert who has failed to do anything since his success at Norwich and comes into your club with only a merry band of excuses to show from his last 6 years of management. And loads of apparent but in reality non existant new continental methods!

23 minutes ago, JHRover said:

One or two rumours that Ian Culverhouse might be going into Ipswich with Lambert. Culverhouse was his assistant at Norwich and early on at Villa before there was some sort of falling out and they haven't worked together since. A few say that Culverhouse was the one who did a lot of the training ground work and credit him with the best days of Lambert's career and argue that since they went their separate ways Lambert hasn't been the same.

The reason he's being linked is because he suddenly resigned as Grantham Town manager last week.

He's also a bit of a Norwich legend so would be a surprise if he turned up at Ipswich with Lambert.

I read in the Local paper suggesting a few coaching staff additions like Ian Culverhouse, Alan Irvine, Andy Marshall and Stuart Taylor. I think Rod Kelly could also be a possible choice

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There just seems to be a total disregard for the importance and difficulty of getting consistent results. Considering the budget he had, or didnt have, surely you will look back in a year or 2 (even now youve seen in a few months) how impressive his consistent league positions were?

Also, Lambert is not going to start playing attractive football. For me, it makes no sense to appoint Hurst and then Lambert. McCarthy seemingly was castigated for his style of play, Hurst was reknown for 1-0 wins (which is fine) but its like sacking the master for a watered down version of him. Then Lambert who has failed to do anything since his success at Norwich and comes into your club with only a merry band of excuses to show from his last 6 years of management. And loads of apparent but in reality non existant new continental methods!

McCarthy signed a lot of players each season so he did have some sort of budget and had some talent young players from big clubs like Celina last season from Man City. 

Lets see how Lambert will play there and how he using the players he has got. It wouldn't be surprise if he wants a new target man in January. McCarthy and the fans relationship was rock bottom and need to end. 

You keep saying Lambert failed his previous jobs but didn't he do a good job at Villa by keeping them up despite their cutbacks in budget that their owner after he got fed up with not getting top 4. 

Stoke spell was a failure but they are far too many problems there and they still exist now IMO under Rowett. We know his time here. wouldn't say it was a failure either. 

Wolves had a Chinese owners but they were listening to an agent and not manager 

^^ chaddyrovers

Regarding Hurst's summer signing, Gwion Edwards has looked good, the Chelsea loanee Chalobah is game and looks to have a good future, but the ex-Shrewsbury boys haven't stepped up to the mark.  The 'big money' (Ipswich-style) front man Jackson has struggled to make his mark and we are reduced to him and Freddie Sears up front who scores a goal every year.  The striker from Bristol Rovers has been injured most of the time but has shown little.  Getting back Jon Walters was a sign of desperation and he's out for six months now.

I don't think ME tried to talk MM out of going either, both knew the writing was on the wall.

All talk of attractive football and bright new dawns is on the back burner, we've got Lambert in purely to try and survive - whatever the football's like.  

Edited by itfc1963

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I read in the Local paper suggesting a few coaching staff additions like Ian Culverhouse, Alan Irvine, Andy Marshall and Stuart Taylor. I think Rod Kelly could also be a possible choice

McCarthy signed a lot of players each season so he did have some sort of budget and had some talent young players from big clubs like Celina last season from Man City. 

Lets see how Lambert will play there and how he using the players he has got. It wouldn't be surprise if he wants a new target man in January. McCarthy and the fans relationship was rock bottom and need to end. 

You keep saying Lambert failed his previous jobs but didn't he do a good job at Villa by keeping them up despite their cutbacks in budget that their owner after he got fed up with not getting top 4. 

Stoke spell was a failure but they are far too many problems there and they still exist now IMO under Rowett. We know his time here. wouldn't say it was a failure either. 

Wolves had a Chinese owners but they were listening to an agent and not manager 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2014/oct/30/ipswich-mick-mccarthy-championship-premier-league

For some clarity, McCarthy spent £10k in his first 2 years.

55 minutes ago, itfc1963 said:

^^ chaddyrovers

Regarding Hurst's summer signing, Gwion Edwards has looked good, the Chelsea loanee Chalobah is game and looks to have a good future, but the ex-Shrewsbury boys haven't stepped up to the mark.  The 'big money' (Ipswich-style) front man Jackson has struggled to make his mark and we are reduced to him and Freddie Sears up front who scores a goal every year.  The striker from Bristol Rovers has been injured most of the time but has shown little.  Getting back Jon Walters was a sign of desperation and he's out for six months now.

I don't think ME tried to talk MM out of going either, both knew the writing was on the wall.

All talk of attractive football and bright new dawns is on the back burner, we've got Lambert in purely to try and survive - whatever the football's like.  

If the club was anyone else, ie there was no link to Mick McCarthy, do you agree that hed be the first and only name on your shortlist right now?

9 minutes ago, itfc1963 said:

^

Quite possibly, we're in exactly the same position as we were six years ago; late October, bottom of the table and a failing manager called Paul.  (Jewell on that occasion)

The biggest criticism I would level at McCarthys reign was that ye clearly had no long term end goal. With the financial backing he got the best you could have hoped for was survival. He exceeded that. Ye will be hard pressed to find another manager who can turn water into wine! 

^^ chaddyrovers

thankyou for the reply. 

What way you play in terms of formation and starting 11? 

Would you agree that you need to sign 2 or 3 quality players to improve the squad? I think Lambert will want a big target man in

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2014/oct/30/ipswich-mick-mccarthy-championship-premier-league

For some clarity, McCarthy spent £10k in his first 2 years.

If the club was anyone else, ie there was no link to Mick McCarthy, do you agree that hed be the first and only name on your shortlist right now?

He make 78 signings during his time there. so he did have backing at the club. http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/quiz-can-you-name-all-76-of-mick-mccarthy-s-signings-as-ipswich-town-manager-1-5065277

McCarthy 1st season there. Joined in November. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/transfers/verein/677/saison_id/2012

McCarthy 1st full season transfers  https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/transfers/verein/677/plus/0?saison_id=2013&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

McCarthy 2nd full season transfers https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/transfers/verein/677/plus/0?saison_id=2014&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

The formation was all over the place, line up was chopped and changed regularly.

The squad's not good enough and we certainly need a striker or two, central defender and creative midfielder at least.  We have a big target man but don't really play to his strengths i.e pace.

• Backroom

Hurst seemed stuck in two minds as to how he wanted to play. He had a pretty distinctive style at Shrewsbury, but I didn't see that at Ipswich at all. Either the squad didn't want to adapt to his methods, or he felt pressure to play a different way and ended up losing the plot as a result. 

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

thankyou for the reply. 

What way you play in terms of formation and starting 11? 

Would you agree that you need to sign 2 or 3 quality players to improve the squad? I think Lambert will want a big target man in

He make 78 signings during his time there. so he did have backing at the club. http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/quiz-can-you-name-all-76-of-mick-mccarthy-s-signings-as-ipswich-town-manager-1-5065277

McCarthy 1st season there. Joined in November. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/transfers/verein/677/saison_id/2012

McCarthy 1st full season transfers  https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/transfers/verein/677/plus/0?saison_id=2013&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

McCarthy 2nd full season transfers https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/transfers/verein/677/plus/0?saison_id=2014&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

All free agents.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

All free agents.

wrong but hey ho. He paid money for Sears. Plus he signed some good free transfers who would have been decent month

35 minutes ago, itfc1963 said:

The formation was all over the place, line up was chopped and changed regularly.

The squad's not good enough and we certainly need a striker or two, central defender and creative midfielder at least.  We have a big target man but don't really play to his strengths i.e pace.

I meant what starting 11 would you play an formation? 

any idea on Lambert potential coaching staff? 

44 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Because games mean something. Every team either have a sniff of top 2, play offs or will be fighting relegation.

Compare that with the PL. Most of the league are playing for what exactly, 17th?

And yet despite that being the aim the crowds flock to watch the PL brand or at least some of it.

Manchesters United and City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs (to an extent). Why do people chuck their cash at clubs just to watch 6 matches per season? Kudos? Enjoyment?

The rest of the 14 are hardly draws: Brighton, Bournemouth, Fulham, Burnley, Palace, Wolves, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Watford, Newcastle, even West Ham are all Championship sides with a different badge on their sleeve. Southampton, Leicester, and Everton are the perennial mid table sides.

Yet, as you allude to, the Championship has better clubs than more than half of the PL and is more competitive, yet nobody gives ? ?.

It’s bobbins, it really is. Football has lost it’s way.

11 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think fans have started to heal. There was even an acknowledgement a few months back of it being 6 years since his sacking. I think it was the 1st time people could talk about it in a somewhat light hearted way. I know that mind sound over the top, but his reign was like an inescapable nightmare. Obviously ,it's only football and there are far more important things in life, but football is a huge part of peoples lives and that was a dark time. I stopped watching match of the day after a few games under Keans "management" and I haven't gone back watching it since. I used to hate watching us and dread checking the scores if I didn't. We have the right man at the club now though and that's great to see. 

On your 1st paragraph, sounds like an easy out for the owner. Keane is completely unpredictable, him spending money could either go very well or very badly. There is no middle ground with him. I would be fairly sure McCarthy would have spent it far more practically and motivated whomever he bought far more effectively. 

You speak for yourself pal

16 hours ago, itfc1963 said:

^^ chaddyrovers

Mmmmm, Like McCarthy sort of.

• Like 1