BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers' finances

Just now, K-Hod said:

More difficult to make an impact from the bench without a consistent run of games, I’m sure anyone would agree.

No. Didn't Dack make an impression in league 1 for us off the bench before becoming a regular starter? 

Rothwell was a different player at the end of the season compared to earlier on. If he was the same player he would have scored, assisted or generally impacted the games he came on in. 

Every player has to show they are good enough from the bench before becoming  a starter. Unless you sign proven players at this level, which hopefully we do this summer. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, I think you are blinkered. It's about 80% moaning about nothing. Hardly surprising when a mod makes a comment like this. 

Mowbray got no credit this year and I am sure many will say he didn't deserve any. 

It’s not at all. You’ve just proved my point though, thanks for that! 

I probably read posts as much as anyone, as I have to! 

34 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Travis fecked up when given his chance the season before last. 

Yes, his hand was forced to play Rothwell, the player HE signed after chasing for a couple of windows. 

Fecked up by making a single rash challenge? That the very opposite of the definition of giving a chance!

The way he is trying to take credit for playing Rothwell’s development is quite galling tbh. He was what we were missing for the majority of the season and there became a considerable pressure of fan sites before Mowbray eventually backed down.

• Like 2

No, I think you are blinkered. It's about 80% moaning about nothing. Hardly surprising when a mod makes a comment like this. 

Mowbray got no credit this year and I am sure many will say he didn't deserve any. 

Give over. He got plenty of credit when he came out and said he was replacing half the team because they weren’t up to it.

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yet, the narrative has already started that he isn't. Even though he said he was. 

We shall see.

Thing is, some will simply shrug, change the narrative and ‘move on’.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yes, his hand was forced to play Rothwell, the player HE signed after chasing for a couple of windows. 

Are you sure Travis didn’t kick off regarding having to pay for 13 tickets for the friendly against Liverpool and therefore queried his pitch until Christmas?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He got sent off in the 92nd minute of a game in February 2018, to be banished from the team until a couple of days before the new year while Evans and Smallwood were plodding around the centre circle was crazy.

He'd shown enough promise before that red card to suggest he should have been back in and around the squad after his suspension, not almost a year later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

You’re not looking hard enough pal.

A lot of people on here see what they want to, without seeing the actual post and it’s very frustrating.

That’s true.

You want to see balanced and informed debate.

Just now, frosty said:

He got sent off in the 92nd minute of a game in February 2018, to be banished from the team until a couple of days before the new year while Evans and Smallwood were plodding around the centre circle was crazy.

He'd shown enough promise before that red card to suggest he should have been back in and around the squad after his suspension, not almost a year later.

OK, if Smallwood came on and got that red. What would you have said? 

Travis hadn't shown enough up to that to expect a starting place. 

Anyway, it's all irrelevant now as Mowbray has him as a starter. He's a talent for sure. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

OK, if Smallwood came on and got that red. What would you have said? 

Travis hadn't shown enough up to that to expect a starting place. 

Anyway, it's all irrelevant now as Mowbray has him as a starter. He's a talent for sure. 

It was a daft challenge but a quiet/stern (depending on manager style!) word with him in the aftermath would have sufficed rather than keeping him on the sidelines for so long at an age where game time is so important. Whether it was Travis, Smallwood or whoever, red cards can happen.

Not a starting place nope, hence 'in and around the squad'.

He is a regular starter now yep, it just took longer than it should have done given that he is indeed talented and offers something different, same for Rothwell. 

• Like 1

Look, I was so critical during our horrendous run this season. Im not blinkered. If its not good enough this summer, I'll say it. 

No doubt, didn’t mean you necessarily. I’ve enjoyed reading your post for over 12 months now. You’ve kept the personal stuff out of it and post what you think. Can’t say fairer than that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think the last paragraph is key and ain't it the way things should be?

He doesn't always get it right, about 70/30 as things stand, but I still say he gives youth a chance. The make up of our squad shows that. You say bits and bat's, but he brought Armstrong and Bell in as regular starters, both young players.

He is undoubtedly stubborn and sticks to his guns in some ways which were to our detriment last season, but I don't think he is inflexible to the point where we should be concerned. I reckon we will see a very young and exciting team next season. Hopefully with at least 2 players added who have won promotion before. He knows we can't rely on some of the older heads, his approach to Mulgrew, Conway and Smallwood showed that. 

I tend to refer to our own when I say youth as in from the youth set up but yeah pretty much agree with the rest of it.  As I said he has a way of doing things that he seems to steadfastly stick to and in some positions he clearly isn't keen on putting faith in them over his fav seniors until his hand is forced but by the same token he is brave enough to put them in when he feels the need.

Anyway we seemed to have rambled off topic.

Do Kentaro's reincarnation have offices in Zurich I wonder..........

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

(Off topic be damned!)

The Lewis Travis BANISHED FROM THE TEAM trope is pretty revisionist as to what Travis had actually shown us up until that point.

Mowbray gave him his debut of course, and before the game in which he was sent off : Travis he had only played a total of 55 league minutes for the club.

I don’t know about you lot, but I found the League One season pretty bloody stressful. There was a hell of a lot at stake. 

It was far from questionable or short sighted to leave him out for the majority of games after this.

And then new season rolls around. Trav wants a loan, TM says you’re an important part of the first team picture here now on so forget it.

Travis really hadn’t shown yet anything but promise, and the team was ticking over well enough initially, so he has to wait for his chance.

So a couple of months later...

TACTICALLY, DELIBERATELY, AND NOT “FORCED” -

Trav starts a league game, does well and is basically ever present ever since.

If we can add the “mismanagement” of Rothwell (that has left him as our second best player) to the “misuse” of Travis (now our best midfielder), then I’m very, very, very excited to see who Mowbray can absolutely fuck up with next..

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, JHRover said:

Who was the most recent club to be put under a transfer embargo for a breach? Birmingham were put under a 'partial embargo' whatever one of those is and still went ahead and spent £3 million without having to sell anyone. They had a phase of dishing out embargoes 5 years ago when the rules had only just come in but since then there's been very little.

There's a difference between betting the ranch and spending heavily. Depends on what the owners want to do. Spending gazillions is fine as long as the owners are prepared to do it and won't chuck in the towel as soon as it doesn't work well. We're told Venkys are billionaires and are desperate for the club to succeed.

A sale & leaseback of the ground need not be gambling the club's future. What Derby did was clever, helped them avoid FFP trouble whilst assembling a good side and now they're on the cusp of promotion because of it. Very clever. No doubt when the time comes their owner will transfer their ground back for a nominal fee and in the meantime they'll be paying peppercorn rent. It isn't the case that he's sold it off to 3rd party property developers etc.

Burnley had parachute income when they went up so were at an advantage that apparently we can't compete with. Think Norwich were too. Sheffield United signed people like Norwood, McGoldrick and Clarke none of whom fit into our recruitment criteria of value growth.

Mowbray is now balancing the demands of a support base with the lunacy of the owners. Tough job.

Sheff Weds under embargo last season

Derby’s sale & leaseback is being challenged by Middlesbrough. What if they lose on Monday ?

Burnley went up under “he who shall not be named” with no parachute payments

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Dyche did it. Wilder did it. Farke did it.

Step up to the plate Mr M !!!

These guys gained promotion at clubs with committed, enthusiastic, mainly local owners and probably loads of help from board members who wanted nothing other than their club to succeed. Rovers is not the same. You simply can't run a successful football club at this level with owners who don't know the game or the club. 

Mowbray and Waggott are doing their best but there needs to be so much more support behind the scenes at Ewood. 

19 hours ago, JHRover said:

What Derby did was clever, helped them avoid FFP trouble whilst assembling a good side and now they're on the cusp of promotion because of it. Very clever. No doubt when the time comes their owner will transfer their ground back for a nominal fee and in the meantime they'll be paying peppercorn rent. It isn't the case that he's sold it off to 3rd party property developers etc.

This is exactly the sort of idea Rovers should be employing but who is going to investigate these opportunities. Mowbray is busy with the football side, Waggott is looking at match day revenue and finances. Over to you Venky's.....