BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Scottish Football

• K-Hod locked and unlocked this topic
46 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

England v Scotland, U21 Toulon Tournament semi-final Wednesday 6th June at 18.30 uk time, live on FreeSports.

I hope to find a way to 'access', quite hopeful.

How can I watch it for free?

YOU can catch all the action on FreeSports, which is available to all through Freeview.

To watch, tune into Freeview channel 95, Sky 422, Freesat 252, TalkTalk 95 or BT 95.

Alternatively you can stream all the action at TVPlayer.com, where you can make a free account and watch on your mobile or laptop.

• Like 1

Probably the worst league in Europe, and I’m speaking as someone who has Scottish family. There is absolutely no competition and there hasn’t been since Aberdeen and Dundee United made a fist of it in the 80s. This is why there’s very little money that gets paid out for TV deals. This is why Scottish players leave in their droves. 

As one Celtic fan recently described it to me: “Scottish fitba is pish.”

Edited by scotchrover
  • Like 1

Scottish players have always left in thete droves though nothing new

Its mainly about money and getting a better chance of a call up

Celtic first team in history to get back to back trebles Rangers still have more so it cant be that one sided

Worst league in Europe is it aye

Okay name one nation our size to get two teams into Uefa cup finals in last 10 12 years?

Or actually won any major competitions there?

Pretty sure the under echeivments of national team slided with teams like Leeds Villa Liverpool Forrest stopped buying our players Ispwich to look were they are now put Pool there cos they have never won the EPL

Just now, Dryhorse said:

Portugal and Holland outnumber us 4 and 5 to 1 so no comparrision

So what nation the population of the West Midlands have had two teams in finals in Europe past 10 or 12 years

Its not a difficult question

Those finals were the exception though and they both lost..

For a country with a population of 5 million I'd say Scottish football is actually of a good standard, is it as good as the English premiership of course its not but its not really comparable in terms of country size and finances. Celtic in my opinion would be comfortably top half in the English premiership now and that is without the extra money they would get from being in the premiership to strengthen with. Hibs, Aberdeen, Rangers & Hearts would all be competitive Championship sides. The rest are probably league 1/2 standard sides. 

• Like 1

How were they exeptions that was not the first time those teams got there they been doing it since the sixties 67 both sides were there

And Rangers have won cup winners cup Aberdeen to and super cup Celtic the European cup

Name one other City outside Germany Italy England Spain to do that think Scottish fitbaw proudly holds its head up for its achievments

You English lads can get all snotty abiut it but we certainly are not the worst in the world we punch way above our weight

And for such a shit league its funny how none of your bosses can win it including your own ????

Motherwell and Killie have had great seasons play very much like Millwall who seemed to do pretty well in championship

Horrible teams to play against look at Killies head to head with Rangers and Celtic this year

Got a player in Scotland squad who played first time in 33 years cos Clarke has turned them round

Motherwell went to two magor finals getting players involved with Scotland to Campbell and Cadden way good enough for your league

Couldnt care about population - its a shit league end of. Some players make a career in England, the rest kick a ball around hoping that one day Celtic will pick them up. The rest play league 1 (at best football) and below.

• Like 1

Whatever anyone says about fitba the fact is that Scotland has the highest attendances at football per capita in the world and has had since anyone can remember. That may be hard for people to accept but it is a fact. There’s a lot wrong with the product but it’s obviously not all bad as that amazing fact bears out.

Yes English football is of a higher standard but that has been hugely exaggerated in the modern era due to the money available while when things were more even back in the 80s there wasn’t that much between the 2 leagues.  

Followers of English football should stop sneering and think about the ills of your own crime and corruption riddled league before having a go at other supposedly inferior leagues. And by the way the last month or so this year the SPL was exciting and competitive, unlike the EPL which seemed dull and predictable in comparison. Maybe you should adopt a split system as well.

• Like 2

Just now, McClarky said:

Whatever anyone says about fitba the fact is that Scotland has the highest attendances at football per capita in the world and has had since anyone can remember. That may be hard for people to accept but it is a fact. There’s a lot wrong with the product but it’s obviously not all bad as that amazing fact bears out.

Yes English football is of a higher standard but that has been hugely exaggerated in the modern era due to the money available while when things were more even back in the 80s there wasn’t that much between the 2 leagues.  

Followers of English football should stop sneering and think about the ills of your own crime and corruption riddled league before having a go at other supposedly inferior leagues. And by the way the last month or so this year the SPL was exciting and competitive, unlike the EPL which seemed dull and predictable in comparison. Maybe you should adopt a split system as well.

A month or so of competitiveness when for the last 30/40 years only two teams have won the league.

Would take McKenna from Aberdeen any day of the week.

Similary I’d take a look at Cedric Kipre who’s come on leaps and bounds at Motherwell. Cadden another Well prospect. 

Would be looking at Kamberi on loan at Hibs, he looks a potential gem at 21 as does Harry Cochrane at 16, a Scottish Dele Alli.

Edited by Scotland1

Was competitive and of a decent standard during the 1980s until Rangers spent outwith their means and killed the competition.

Modern football has effectively killed off all competition now as Celtic just get far too much money for the other sides to compete.

For a nation a 10th of the side of England, it's a tad unfair to compare the two leagues.

It is, on the whole, pretty pish don't get me wrong, so but so is the Championship and the bottom half of the Premier League so swings and roundabouts.

There's some good players dotted around, same as most leagues, but some pretty awful ones as well.

In dismissing Scottish football, with a quite astonishing arrogance, people overlook both recent history and today’s reality. 

My experience of watching football only stretches back to the mid ‘60s and from that point there can be little argument England’s top sides included highly skilled and committed players from Scotland, Ireland and Wales. This was the situation till the late ‘80s, possibly early 90s.

Today at least 70% of the “English” Premier League is made up of foreign nationals. I love the fact the first report in a Google search from May 2017 comes from Sky - the organisation which has contributed most to the destruction of our national game. 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10725849/premier-league-has-highest-percentage-of-foreign-players-uefa-report

Possibly the Scottish League is uncompetitive, a glance at the tables suggests this could be the case. This does ignore Celtic only winning the title by 9 points - now remind me how many points did City win the “English” PL by? Could it be 19? I think it’s great to see a team of English players dominate our Premier League. Whoops. English?

With 50% of players in the Scottish PL coming from overseas it’s difficult to describe it as “Scottish” football just as “English” football, to a much larger extent, is reliant on overseas players.

Scottish football rubbish? I don’t know if it is or not but there is a strong argument the “English” game is in just as much trouble. 

There is no longer such a thing as Scottish or English football to the detriment of both national teams and sport. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2