BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Scottish Football

11 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Couldnt care about population - its a shit league end of. Some players make a career in England, the rest kick a ball around hoping that one day Celtic will pick them up. The rest play league 1 (at best football) and below.

Nail, head

• Like 1

So why have we had two teams in magor European finals in the last 12 years?

Name any other nation our size or smaller who has?

Come on you cant just say we are the eorst when nations our size ir bigger have failed to labd any teams that far

Your just pist off the Spanish continue to school your teams there men against boys even when your teans usually spent more cash

Pretty sure a few fell to that Romanian team Celtic pumped twice ????

2 hours ago, Paul said:

In dismissing Scottish football, with a quite astonishing arrogance, people overlook both recent history and today’s reality. 

My experience of watching football only stretches back to the mid ‘60s and from that point there can be little argument England’s top sides included highly skilled and committed players from Scotland, Ireland and Wales. This was the situation till the late ‘80s, possibly early 90s.

Today at least 70% of the “English” Premier League is made up of foreign nationals. I love the fact the first report in a Google search from May 2017 comes from Sky - the organisation which has contributed most to the destruction of our national game. 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10725849/premier-league-has-highest-percentage-of-foreign-players-uefa-report

Possibly the Scottish League is uncompetitive, a glance at the tables suggests this could be the case. This does ignore Celtic only winning the title by 9 points - now remind me how many points did City win the “English” PL by? Could it be 19? I think it’s great to see a team of English players dominate our Premier League. Whoops. English?

With 50% of players in the Scottish PL coming from overseas it’s difficult to describe it as “Scottish” football just as “English” football, to a much larger extent, is reliant on overseas players.

Scottish football rubbish? I don’t know if it is or not but there is a strong argument the “English” game is in just as much trouble. 

There is no longer such a thing as Scottish or English football to the detriment of both national teams and sport. 

English football is just the same hype and hope. We still produce good players but they just make up the numbers in our best club sides. We haven't had a good national team for almost 20 years IMO.

Scottish football, however, is just a pale imitation of what it was. They used to produce some wonderful players, good enough to play for the best teams in the world. All the best English teams were made up of Scots. Today it's a surprise if they have a player in a Prem side. Wales produce far better players these days.

Arrogant to suggest Scottish football is rubbish? Nah, it's just stating a fact. Whatever the reasons the Scottish FA need to do something about it.

• Like 2

Wales produce players cos they come through the English systems

And there kids are signing for there teams as boys they way ours used to before S form and pro youth

I answered your qyestion so you answer mines

If we are worst league in Europe why are your teams signing our players at all levels?

Were to you think Andy Robertson comes from?

And Kieran Tierney is linked to Man Utd constantly we still produce top players good enough for the top six

Both these guys have the ability with the right coaching to become world class hopfully Robertson will end up in the Bale role for club and country

11 minutes ago, Dryhorse said:

Come on you cant just say we are the eorst when nations our size ir bigger have failed to labd any teams that far

Your just pist off the Spanish continue to school your teams there men against boys even when your teans usually spent more cash

Iceland has a really small population, reached the Euro 16 semi-final and have qualified for the upcoming World Cup.

I think there has been a drop in standards right across football and this is relative. I remember well how nearly every top First Division team had several Scottish players like Graham, Henderson, Johnston, Gemmell, Rioch, Donnachie and so on. I would struggle to name more than six now in the entirety of the PL. In fairness though Scotland was a supply line for a lot of these clubs because very few had players from Europe and ROW.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 1

And finally we get there cant answer a simple question lets change the discussion to the world cup

Uruaguy are a wee nation to and won the world cup more than England

And we got more than 6 players in the EPL granted a lot are anglos we never brought through ourselfs

• Moderation Lead

Iceland, Croatia and Belgium also have small populations.....

Though I'm not that keen on some of the snobbery in these posts, I mainly created this thread to stop all the Scottish discussion dominating the transfer thread!

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

Naw that is England your on about chief we Scots have a 100 per cent record against Croatia was at last game won 2 0 to protect it

Moderic schooled by Iketchi Anya robbing him cutting in off flanks was funny as big Mulgrew had stormer at left back before ww found Robbo and Tierney

• Moderation Lead

Northern Ireland has a smaller population than Scotland, so does Wales and they've still qualified for tournaments more recently. Hence the population thing doesn't really wash.

Seems like the problem runs a bit deeper tbh....

Edited by K-Hod

3 hours ago, Dryhorse said:

So King Kenny played in the same school team as your Uncle Charlie and visited your granny in the Milton eh? I'm surprised that in your championing of Scottish football you haven't mentioned that other Milton superstar footballer who had an amazing time in the top flight in England -  still to be found in Milton occasionally visiting his sisters on the estate. Maybe he also played for the wrong team? ??

Celtic and Rangers are two of the biggest clubs in the world, in terms of support. They would hold their own in any league in the world, once they had established themselves in it, including the English Premier League.

However, I would temper that a little when it comes to bragging about them belonging to 'Scottish football' by making the point that a very significant proportion of both clubs' fan base travel from outside Scotland to support them. I guess this makes them slightly different from the big fish in other small ponds around Europe?

Therefore, it is hardly surprising that they have done pretty well in Europe in the past. That said, for various reasons I would agree that the 2003 and 2008 UEFA Cup Final appearances were remarkable.

However, the state of Scottish football is more accurately reflected in the national team, which has been a joke for pretty much two decades now and shows little sign of getting any better.

I have lived in Scotland for circa 25 years, mainly in and around Glasgow, and from listening to guys in the local hostelries, as well as utilising the evidence of my own eyes, this seems to be the consensus. Of course you will always get the odd decent Scottish player - we have had a few of them at Ewood in fact, but by and large the standard isn't very good. 

Trouble is, stating that with an English accent is like a red rag to a bull for the natives - exhibit A being you, Dryhorse, who can't see the wood for the trees when it comes to criticism of anything Scottish and assume it is the 'arrogant English' syndrome when the facts actually support the argument that Scottish footie isn't too clever just now.

Who cares that Jock McTavish was part of a team that won the League Cup in 2010 or whatever, your national team hasn't qualified for a major tournament since 1998 for goodness' sake! Yet the whole nation celebrates when England are eliminated at THE FINALS. A strange mentality.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

Ive not changed anything Belguim are a bigger populated country so they dont count

You gave the wrong answer to the question bonody has given any answers to the question

Cos you know yourself there has been no finalists our size over the past 12 years

Aye King Kenny actually came to baby ward spoke my Maw at Robroyston prob same time Kelly was born

Met my Dad and one of my Uncles that is a spit for Graham Souness awfully nice guy with a wicked sence of humour

You can talk to your blue in the teeth trying to run our game down but you never will so you lived here 25 years and never found any Rangers fans than are pro England strange that my friend

Obviously spent time mixing with they wrong people Butcher Roberts Stevens Steven Gazza Woods Wilkins Walters Francis Hateley all Rangers legends

NI used Scots and English players getting there Scotland been ti more magor tornements than both Wales and NI put together though

And just like us there sitting at home now to so they were hardly good enough to build on it

Would rather be sitting in our xamp right now with players xoming through like Robbo Tierney McGregor McGinn Fraser Burke McCrorrie Bates Henderson coming through thanks

• Moderation Lead

Scotland have had loads of English born players over the years and continue to do so, so again, that excuse doesn't wash I'm afraid. 

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1