Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
K-Hod

Scottish Football

Recommended Posts

Because the transfer thread is getting very circular and repetitive about the thread title, it seems like it deserves its own thread....

VOILA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally speaking it is rubbish, but there are some players good enough for the Premier league and a promotion challenging championship team. As a competition for the title, it is non existent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

England v Scotland, U21 Toulon Tournament semi-final Wednesday 6th June at 18.30 uk time, live on FreeSports.

I hope to find a way to 'access', quite hopeful.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

England v Scotland, U21 Toulon Tournament semi-final Wednesday 6th June at 18.30 uk time, live on FreeSports.

I hope to find a way to 'access', quite hopeful.

How can I watch it for free?

YOU can catch all the action on FreeSports, which is available to all through Freeview.

To watch, tune into Freeview channel 95, Sky 422, Freesat 252, TalkTalk 95 or BT 95.

Alternatively you can stream all the action at TVPlayer.com, where you can make a free account and watch on your mobile or laptop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably the worst league in Europe, and I’m speaking as someone who has Scottish family. There is absolutely no competition and there hasn’t been since Aberdeen and Dundee United made a fist of it in the 80s. This is why there’s very little money that gets paid out for TV deals. This is why Scottish players leave in their droves. 

As one Celtic fan recently described it to me: “Scottish fitba is pish.”

Edited by scotchrover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scottish players have always left in thete droves though nothing new

Its mainly about money and getting a better chance of a call up

Celtic first team in history to get back to back trebles Rangers still have more so it cant be that one sided

 

Worst league in Europe is it aye

Okay name one nation our size to get two teams into Uefa cup finals in last 10 12 years?

Or actually won any major competitions there?

Pretty sure the under echeivments of national team slided with teams like Leeds Villa Liverpool Forrest stopped buying our players Ispwich to look were they are now put Pool there cos they have never won the EPL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scottish fitba is crap...probably worse than the dutch and portugeese league...celtic most overrated club in europe..nothing much more to add really

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Portugal and Holland outnumber us 4 and 5 to 1 so no comparrision

So what nation the population of the West Midlands have had two teams in finals in Europe past 10 or 12 years

Its not a difficult question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dryhorse said:

Portugal and Holland outnumber us 4 and 5 to 1 so no comparrision

So what nation the population of the West Midlands have had two teams in finals in Europe past 10 or 12 years

Its not a difficult question

Those finals were the exception though and they both lost..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a country with a population of 5 million I'd say Scottish football is actually of a good standard, is it as good as the English premiership of course its not but its not really comparable in terms of country size and finances. Celtic in my opinion would be comfortably top half in the English premiership now and that is without the extra money they would get from being in the premiership to strengthen with. Hibs, Aberdeen, Rangers & Hearts would all be competitive Championship sides. The rest are probably league 1/2 standard sides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How were they exeptions that was not the first time those teams got there they been doing it since the sixties 67 both sides were there

And Rangers have won cup winners cup Aberdeen to and super cup Celtic the European cup

Name one other City outside Germany Italy England Spain to do that think Scottish fitbaw proudly holds its head up for its achievments

You English lads can get all snotty abiut it but we certainly are not the worst in the world we punch way above our weight

And for such a shit league its funny how none of your bosses can win it including your own 😁😁😁😂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Motherwell and Killie have had great seasons play very much like Millwall who seemed to do pretty well in championship

Horrible teams to play against look at Killies head to head with Rangers and Celtic this year

Got a player in Scotland squad who played first time in 33 years cos Clarke has turned them round

Motherwell went to two magor finals getting players involved with Scotland to Campbell and Cadden way good enough for your league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think Kilmarnock's home pitch is of a great advantage to them, which they would not be allowed to use in the football league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

For a country with a population of 5 million I'd say Scottish football is actually of a good standard, is it as good as the English premiership of course its not but its not really comparable in terms of country size and finances.

Croatia has 4.2m population and I'd argue it's far worse than Scotland. Your point is valid, but the exposure the Scottish league gets from Sky in the UK probably exacerbates the poor quality.

 

1 hour ago, Dryhorse said:

And Rangers have won cup winners cup Aberdeen to and super cup Celtic the European cup

Name one other City outside Germany Italy England Spain to do that think Scottish fitbaw proudly holds its head up for its achievments

Brussels (Anderlecht)?

Edited by OnePhilT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldnt care about population - its a shit league end of. Some players make a career in England, the rest kick a ball around hoping that one day Celtic will pick them up. The rest play league 1 (at best football) and below.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever anyone says about fitba the fact is that Scotland has the highest attendances at football per capita in the world and has had since anyone can remember. That may be hard for people to accept but it is a fact. There’s a lot wrong with the product but it’s obviously not all bad as that amazing fact bears out.

Yes English football is of a higher standard but that has been hugely exaggerated in the modern era due to the money available while when things were more even back in the 80s there wasn’t that much between the 2 leagues.  

Followers of English football should stop sneering and think about the ills of your own crime and corruption riddled league before having a go at other supposedly inferior leagues. And by the way the last month or so this year the SPL was exciting and competitive, unlike the EPL which seemed dull and predictable in comparison. Maybe you should adopt a split system as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, McClarky said:

Whatever anyone says about fitba the fact is that Scotland has the highest attendances at football per capita in the world and has had since anyone can remember. That may be hard for people to accept but it is a fact. There’s a lot wrong with the product but it’s obviously not all bad as that amazing fact bears out.

Yes English football is of a higher standard but that has been hugely exaggerated in the modern era due to the money available while when things were more even back in the 80s there wasn’t that much between the 2 leagues.  

Followers of English football should stop sneering and think about the ills of your own crime and corruption riddled league before having a go at other supposedly inferior leagues. And by the way the last month or so this year the SPL was exciting and competitive, unlike the EPL which seemed dull and predictable in comparison. Maybe you should adopt a split system as well.

A month or so of competitiveness when for the last 30/40 years only two teams have won the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care what league our players come from. This "no 3rd division players" or "no players from the Scottish leagues" is absolute claptrap. It's who chooses the players that matters. I think there's too many bad memories of the likes of Coyle picking Stokes, Kean picking Goodwillie, Ince picking Andrews, etc. I could match any of those with absolute garbage that we've taken from the Premier League (Ward springs to mind immediately, and even the Messiah Paul Lambert can't avoid blame for that one).

Edited by OnePhilT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would take McKenna from Aberdeen any day of the week.

Similary I’d take a look at Cedric Kipre who’s come on leaps and bounds at Motherwell. Cadden another Well prospect. 

Would be looking at Kamberi on loan at Hibs, he looks a potential gem at 21 as does Harry Cochrane at 16, a Scottish Dele Alli.

Edited by Scotland1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies if already said but may I ask what has brought you to this Rovers messageboard @Dryhorse ?

Are you a Rovers fan? Or have a liking for Rovers?

Not having a go by the way, genuinely dont know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

King Kenny used to come in my Grannies house in the Milton hung around my my Uncles was in school team as my Uncle Charles

As a result have a fondness towards the teans he has been apart from Celtic 

 

Goid enough for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also a long time ago a certain Craig Conway used to cut my hair when I lived in Ayrshire

Both these stories are true 

 

😁😁😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dryhorse said:

Also a long time ago a certain Craig Conway used to cut my hair when I lived in Ayrshire

So we have you to blame for him always cutting inside then. 😤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.