BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Scottish Football

EPL! There is no such organisation... yet! Bad enough that we have the EFL.

At the rate we are going we’ll have to start calling our game English Football to appease the Americans. :rolleyes: 

Toulon Tournament U21s

Semi- Final 6th June 2018

Scotland 1 - England 3

Match highlight: England played in red shirts. The Scotland bench wore red shirts and the Ref made them wear bibs. He should have made them 'skins', although I suppose Toulon is a bit warm for that.

TBF is was an ok game and Scotland did have the first half.

The history books will record that the cream of English youth stuffed the cream of Scottish youth at Football. :brfcsmilie:

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hasta said:

I'm talking in general, not this season. It's because in the 80s and 90s the gap between salaries in the SPL and other major European leagues wasn't as great,so players in their prime like Laudrup and Larson may move there. Other clubs in the top flight wouldn't lose their players to relatively lower league English clubs just because they could pay seriously more in wages. 

However the stupid money thrown about by TV means that average players would rather turn up on £8k in the Champinship than in Scotland. That's not a fault or criticism of the Scottish league. It's just another side effect of the gross money in the game. I'm not knocking the competitiveness of the league outside of Celtic, just that the quality of players plying their trade in Scotland's is worse than in previous eras.

Nailed it Hasta.

Read this very very carefully dryhorse. Hopefully you will have time to do so before you set off for school.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

EPL! There is no such organisation... yet! Bad enough that we have the EFL.

At the rate we are going we’ll have to start calling our game English Football to appease the Americans. :rolleyes: 

Indeed!

’EFL’ is a cracking example of today’s administrators. They didn’t realise (or maybe they did and didn’t care) that they had something already that focus groups and an expensive re-brand couldn’t create - tradition and heritage that gave it gravitas by default.

The Football League goes back to the very foundation of the professional game- ‘founder member’ is still a term that means something. Even the emblem went back decades, but they just replaced it with something resembling a washing powder company.

The Americans get a lot of stick, but they realise the strength of their sporting brands rests in its traditions - look at baseball - still wear the pyjamas, no sponsorship, the organ music and all that.

• Backroom
21 hours ago, Hasta said:

The thing is most young English talent ends up in the vast youth teams of the big Premier League academies and then get loaned out. There will be plenty who go out on loan to league one and league two before returning and making their mark in the Premier League.

However in answer to your question:-

Fabian Delph  /  Nick Powell  /  Dele Ali  /  Dwight Gayle  /  Matt Lowton / Wayne Hennessey / Harry Maguire / Johan Berg Gudmundsson / Jonjo Shelvey / Calvert-Lewin

Jon Stead from L2 Huddersfield to PL Rovers.

Keith Andrews from NEWLY PROMOTED L1 MK Dons  I think, so technically direct from L2.

Edited by Mike E

On 07/06/2018 at 00:02, roverandout said:

Dont agree...celtic will never have the level of attraction in places like the far east that city or chelsea have

What? Really? What a strange thing to say. Each to their own opinion because it can’t be tested.

On 07/06/2018 at 08:22, Mattyblue said:

The Americans get a lot of stick, but they realise the strength of their sporting brands rests in its traditions - look at baseball - still wear the pyjamas, no sponsorship, the organ music and all that.

Except half the teams in all the sports change city every 10 years. Like the Colts leaving Baltimore for Indianapolis in the 80's, leaving their popular marching band without a team until the Ravens relocated there. Now that marching band plays for the Ravens, and wear their colours. 

On 05/06/2018 at 16:43, Mattyblue said:

Not sure why I’m bothering, but might as well.

Why have Scotland been so poor for 20 years, no qualifications, when -

Croatia (4 million) repeatedly qualify 

Ditto Denmark (5.5)

Other smaller nations than Scotland like Slovenia, Bosnia, Slovakia, Albania, Northern Ireland, Wales, Republic of Ireland and Iceland all have?

Genuine question to what’s gone wrong in Scotland?

The dinosaurs in charge of the SFA. Simple really.

6 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I would expect Burnley to win fairly comfortably over the two legs. The Dons might give them a run for their money at Pittodrie though.

Unfortunately that’s what I thought. Having watched Hibs last season I don’t hold out much hope. 

Hopefully Aberdeen will give them a good running up there though. 

Anyone remember the pre season match against them down here? Late 80s I think. They fetched a few then. Should be an interesting couple of games if nothing else.

47 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

Unfortunately that’s what I thought. Having watched Hibs last season I don’t hold out much hope. 

Hopefully Aberdeen will give them a good running up there though. 

Anyone remember the pre season match against them down here? Late 80s I think. They fetched a few then. Should be an interesting couple of games if nothing else.

We played them at Ewood in Terry Genoes testimonial around 92-93 I think Bob. I remember Duncan Shearer playing for them.

I refereed Aberdeen in a friendly at Bury on a Friday night (Mike Newell played for them) and they brought lots down for that. 

36 minutes ago, arbitro said:

We played them at Ewood in Terry Genoes testimonial around 92-93 I think Bob. I remember Duncan Shearer playing for them.

I refereed Aberdeen in a friendly at Bury on a Friday night (Mike Newell played for them) and they brought lots down for that. 

Blimey. 92/93 was it! I think they had the Darwen end enclosure and didn’t stop singing.

Good luck to them anyway.

• 2 years later...

Considering Rangers were put in the bottom division sure a lot of their fans would think it impossible to be 23 points clear of Celtic. Fair play. Can’t even recall that sort of gap in their 90s heyday with the likes of de boer, tugay, kanchelskis, flo, van Bronckhorst, Gazza, etc.

Edited by matt83