BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Supporters Consultation Meeting - Thursday 21st June

• Backroom

Josh... just to confirm, I was one of the 2 members that always attended when SteB ran the forum. I can't make it tomorrow but If I need to I can rearrange.. I assume it's changed now though? 

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I would like the club to be transparent, within reason, about major issues. Admission/acceptance of what has gone wrong, recognition of why, how things are being approached these days to try and avoid a repeat of the past, what the owners want, when they want it, what Waggott's precise role/powers are, how much power/influence/presence the owners' rep has, what the debt and financial situation is, what investment they expect to make moving forward, what major staffing appointments they intend to consider making.

There's a time and a place to discuss the new kit, new turnstiles, community work, season ticket arrangements. That's what the Fans Forum is there for. 

Consultation Meetings were set up because the Football League were coming under increased pressure from all angles to be seen to be doing something about dodgy owners wrecking clubs whilst ignoring their supporters. These meetings were set up to try and alleviate fans concerns and guarantee a bare minimum level of communication from owners down on major issues.

And I don't think that Mowbray should be at these meetings either. He is an employee, not a director. His presence at these meetings enables attention to be directed away from the owners/executive and towards the football. Again there's a time and place for Mowbray to do his thing and impress us with his passion and sense, these meetings aren't that place.

I'm fairly sure when the rules were introduced (not that i would ever expect the League to enforce their own rules) there was an expectation or requirement that at least one of the owners or a representative of the owner(s) would attend each meeting. The reason there are only 2 a year and there is flexibility on when they are was so that they could be done at a convenient time for these people.

haven't we already discuss most of the first paragraph in previous meetings? or through recent interviews with LT? 

The football league cant force any owner to any meeting with fans and they know this. Pasha will never attend these either. Waggott is the closest official you will speak to now. 

1 hour ago, scotchrover said:

Does anyone know someone who’s going? I’d like someone to raise it if possible. 4 people have liked my post too, meaning I can’t be the only one who thinks something needs doing.

Needs flagging of no one else will I will email Cheston or go I’m in London CC atm unless someone can do this?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, meadows said:

Do you know of any other club whose chief exec has come out and itemised his job description/remit, Jack?

Why do you think ours ought to be obliged to? 

An idea of who makes the serious decisions around the club would be helpful. I'm not really interested in his job description, but given a complete lack of information from the owners and that Waggott is the most senior staff member (on paper) then an idea as to who has final say around the place. What precisely the role and influence is of the owners representative given they were so public about advertising his job on the website and have since gone to great lengths to conceal his existence.

For example, do the people in India still have to authorise expenditure on minor and trivial items, or can Waggott now do that as CEO? If the answer is that those things still have to go to India for approval, taking days or weeks to achieve, then I wonder what has actually changed.

My suspicion is that Waggott has no say on what Mowbray can and can't do, as Mowbray has a direct line to India. If that is the case then I still have grave concerns about the structure as I believe it is flawed to have a CEO who is in effect equal or even below the team manager.

Whilst the going is good and results are positive then we can all sleep easily but we've seen previously what can happen when results deteriorate and we don't have power on the ground to act.

It may well all be the way our owners want to do business but I'm not comfortable with it, and I think an explanation as to how things work and what the structure is at the top of the club is the sort of serious issue they should be discussing in these meetings, not the new turnstiles they are installing.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

An idea of who makes the serious decisions around the club would be helpful. I'm not really interested in his job description, but given a complete lack of information from the owners and that Waggott is the most senior staff member (on paper) then an idea as to who has final say around the place. What precisely the role and influence is of the owners representative given they were so public about advertising his job on the website and have since gone to great lengths to conceal his existence.

My suspicion is that Waggott has no say on what Mowbray can and can't do, as Mowbray has a direct line to India. If that is the case then I still have grave concerns about the structure as I believe it is flawed to have a CEO who is in effect equal or even below the team manager.

Whilst the going is good and results are positive then we can all sleep easily but we've seen previously what can happen when results deteriorate and we don't have power on the ground to act.

It may well all be the way our owners want to do business but I'm not comfortable with it, and I think an explanation as to how things work and what the structure is at the top of the club is the sort of serious issue they should be discussing in these meetings, not the new turnstiles they are installing.

Waggott has already explained all that in previous interviews. What his role is, communicating with Owners, working with Mowbray. 

And how things work at the club has also been explain aswell within the club. The Media department is a massive improvement in the last 18 months compare to previous years gone by

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Waggott has already explained all that in previous interviews. What his role is, communicating with Owners, working with Mowbray. 

And how things work at the club has also been explain aswell within the club. The Media department is a massive improvement in the last 18 months compare to previous years gone by

Actually, he hasn't, at least not in the interviews I have read.

If the way it works is that all subjects previously discussed are taboo because there's no point repeating them then I don't get the point in having the meeting. These meetings are not designed for the football manager to talk about his plans and aren't designed to talk about the matchday programme.

Its about keeping supporters in the loop as to the club's plans, decisions, structure, finances etc.

Those present should be board members, an owner or if not then someone empowered to speak on behalf of the owner. Not the manager.  If they can't be forced to do that then again what is the point in the League introducing the meetings as compulsory for clubs?

I accept that the media department (mainly the twitter and instagram accounts) has improved significantly in the last 12 months, credit to them for that, but again I think there are more important things need discussing than this.

• Like 2

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 23:16, scotchrover said:

When are they planning to increase the budget for stadium maintenance? The roof on the Blackburn End is leaking, close to where I sit. Looking it around the stadium, it needs a good clean too. I also would imagine there’s other issues.

3 Members of Rovers Trust are going tonight. I am away but not missing being there. As far as I remember this is on our list to ask or be answered before we can ask it!

My question was " Now we have a CEO/Director do the Board have monthly meetings?" Fits in with JH Comments which I thought were spot on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meadows said:

Why do you feel you need/are entitled to know?  

I don't anyone feels they 'are entitled' to know... but I can understand why people feel they 'need to know'. Many people think the club has been run poorly in the past and can evidence this with the numerous management structures that have been in place under Venkys. I don't think its a lot following this to ask for reassurances on how the club is run now. Clearly people have this feeling and a decent PR company would advise transparency after years of chaos followed by one year of success. Theres an opportunity to explain how things have changed.

• Like 3

I thought that was the idea behind supporter consultation. Keeping supporters involved in what happens and why.

Most clubs already had Fans Forums to discuss pies and programmes. The Football League, under pressure from the government, went one step further and made it compulsory for clubs to hold bi-annual consultation meetings with supporter groups.

If I want to listen to Tony Mowbray talk he does enough of that already in the paper and before and after games. Not what these meetings were introduced for.

'Clubs are required to meet with a representative group of supporters at least twice a season to discuss significant issues relating to the club''

'All 92 professional clubs need to meet the Government Expert Working Group requirement for club leaders (owners/senior executives) to engage in structured dialogue with a representative group of supporters;

'There is no specific requirement for the club to provide information that is not already in the public domain, however the EFL would ask clubs to look favourably on reasonable requests that would aid informed discussion'

20 minutes ago, meadows said:

I don't. It's the Football League that introduced it.

But if we must have them, surely the agenda should be something more pressing than turnstiles, food kiosks etc. Otherwise why not just re-badge a couple of the Fans Forums as 'Consultations' and be done with it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Actually, he hasn't, at least not in the interviews I have read.

If the way it works is that all subjects previously discussed are taboo because there's no point repeating them then I don't get the point in having the meeting. These meetings are not designed for the football manager to talk about his plans and aren't designed to talk about the matchday programme.

Its about keeping supporters in the loop as to the club's plans, decisions, structure, finances etc.

Those present should be board members, an owner or if not then someone empowered to speak on behalf of the owner. Not the manager.  If they can't be forced to do that then again what is the point in the League introducing the meetings as compulsory for clubs?

I accept that the media department (mainly the twitter and instagram accounts) has improved significantly in the last 12 months, credit to them for that, but again I think there are more important things need discussing than this.

Waggott has explained what his role is, how much contact he has with the owners and his working relationship with Mowbray. 

Havent we been told what the clubs plans are for the next season and finances are like. 

Arent Waggott and Cheston going to be present tonight?

I believe Mowbray should be there so he can talk about the footballing structure and long term plan. I would like to know who is currently in charge of scouting and recruitment team? Is Mike Rigg still involve with the club? 

You need to ask the Football League that question about the point of these meetings if you want answers to it? 

The communication side of the club is great asset to this club

• Backroom
36 minutes ago, Madon said:

I'm going tonight. 

Like last time I'll post regular updates on this thread.

Me too

As in I’m going - I’ll let you do the updates!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, J*B said:

I don't anyone feels they 'are entitled' to know... but I can understand why people feel they 'need to know'. Many people think the club has been run poorly in the past and can evidence this with the numerous management structures that have been in place under Venkys. I don't think its a lot following this to ask for reassurances on how the club is run now. Clearly people have this feeling and a decent PR company would advise transparency after years of chaos followed by one year of success. Theres an opportunity to explain how things have changed.

Well said. I think it is perverse to define a will to be vigilant, as entitlement.

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, meadows said:

But why will an affirmation of the frequency of board meetings reveal anything useful? You could have a room full of incompétents meet twice weekly. Or a room full of efficient folk who know what they’re doing meeting bi- monthly and running the places like a sewing  machine. Which is preferable? 

What if they admit that they never have board meetings ? will that give you confidence the club is in good hands?

The whole purpose of these meetings, I believe, is to talk about the workings of the club off the pitch. To give the supporters a chance to ask questions about how things are run behind the scenes. 

Honest answers from the club could help increase the fans' trust in the owners. If done correctly it is an opportunity to build bridges.

If the whole evening is taken up by the manager talking about the playing squad and hopes for the coming season there is little point in having the meeting.

It's a chance for us to ask the questions we want and, possibly more importantly, a chance for the club to be open and honest and engage with the people who care about the club.

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, meadows said:

But why will an affirmation of the frequency of board meetings reveal anything useful? You could have a room full of incompétents meet twice weekly. Or a room full of efficient folk who know what they’re doing meeting bi- monthly and running the places like a sewing  machine. Which is preferable? 

Because, as the business is in Blackburn, it makes sense that at least SOME board meetings happen locally.

It's not that difficult mate.

4 hours ago, meadows said:

Why do you still feel the need / are entitled to take people's posts from here and post them on Twitter for your sycophants to make snide comments and take the piss out of posters, without the chance to reply? And Kamy is just as bad for joining in, thought you were better than that.

1 hour ago, BiggusMickus said:

Why do you still feel the need / are entitled to take people's posts from here and post them on Twitter for your sycophants to make snide comments and take the piss out of posters, without the chance to reply? And Kamy is just as bad for joining in, thought you were better than that.

Exactly, cowardly but leave em to it he really ain't worth the bother.

Edited by tomphil

If the magic Mike had given straight answers in regards to Coyle etc then it would be justified to say don't mention it now but when the man who willingly put his name to it yet never explained why and it turned out to be the unmitigated disaster  widely predicted it's no wonder some still want to look him in the eye and ask why.

His head should have rolled for that or he should have distanced himself at the time not afterwards, he's shown himself to be flaky when everyone is after honesty and transparency. Explain it, hold your hand up then it's done and move on.

People will always ask who really makes the decisions at Ewood when they've chance to it goes with the turf of this ownership and I doubt it'll change so no point squabbling about it.