Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Supporters Consultation Meeting - Thursday 21st June

3 hours ago, PLJPB said:

Last 3 seasons cash injections are:

2016/7    £ 8.6m

2017/8    £15.0m

2018/9   £  9.6m

Source:Companies House Venkys London Ltd Filings

There was a lot of bigger numbers before that though before they shut the door for a brief spell and cashed in the playing assets instead hence why I thought he might be referring  to average of 25 mill.

At least he isn't doing the spin like the guy on sky of Venkys 'investing' 30 million every season into Blackburn Rovers that was routinely trotted out every live game not long ago, also he said keeping us going not 'investing' which sounds better to me.

Edited by tomphil

In the 90s we had a few games in which thousands of kids were brought from schools.

The day of the Le Tiss wonder goal was one. Club was going for the title and we still did it.

Now obviously much easier to get kids to come to watch that then Rovers V Brentford, plus are teachers as willing to give up their Saturday, all the risk assessing etc...

However, you look over to Stanley and much more certainly needs to be done here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Interesting reading Waggott's comments on the Riverside stand. Talking about making Ewood into a better venue I'm sure if that was ever redeveloped it could include facilities to be used on non-matchdays. I've already said I think Rovers have missed the bus on building a hotel at Ewood. In the last few years there must have been 5 or 6 hotels opened in the area with the Travelodge, Premier Inn X 2, Marstons at Guide, and now the plans for Whitebirk. There's clearly demand for hotels in the area and Rovers could have got a head-start on this years ago. Bolton seem to do quite well out of their hotel.

It goes back to the original design to replace the Riverside, wasn't that supposed to incorporate a hotel? It was going to increase the capacity up to near the 40,000, but we could barely fill the existing ground, so Jack put it to bed.

Just now, Proudtobeblue&white said:

It goes back to the original design to replace the Riverside, wasn't that supposed to incorporate a hotel? It was going to increase the capacity up to near the 40,000, but we could barely fill the existing ground, so Jack put it to bed.

Yeah that's right. But those plans could be revisited and amended. We admittedly don't need to increase capacity to that level, but a new Riverside could be built with a capacity of say 5000 which would keep capacity similar or slightly higher than it is at present. The aim of the project isn't really to create additional capacity which is unlikely to be needed, but to improve the stadium, the facilities on offer, increase our internal space for something like a hotel or offices which can generate extra revenue for the club on non-matchdays. The facilities on the Riverside are among the worst in the Championship these days even though it is 'only' 30 years since it was done. Can't think of many other stands with uncovered seats, uncovered concourse, only 2 sets of toilets and food kiosks, and obstructed views. Just not really fit for 21st century standard although I suspect a lot of those who sit in there are quite comfortable with it.

I reckon it could be done to keep it in harmony with the rest of the ground. Single tier, floodlights in the roof, no obstructed views, internal concourse with modern toilets and food kiosks and then internal space behind for boxes/hotel rooms/office space etc. Build it nearer to the pitch without a walkway at the front and close the gaps to the BBE and DE and I think it would massively upgrade the look, facilities and enclose the atmosphere.

Interesting that Waggott referenced talking to the council about it, so it seems it has passed first base of merely thinking about it and some conversations have been had.

It's ok saying we should wait until we get to the Premier League before doing it but then we'd end up with a building site down that side whilst in the Prem. Makes sense to get it done and dusted now whilst we've the surplus capacity to enable it.

Ultimately we're quite lucky with Ewood in the Riverside should be the easiest stand to build. No houses or businesses behind it, plenty of space behind.

I agree that the Riverside needs flattening and something more modern and user friendly replacing it, a hotel would allow for viewing pitch side, a la Lancashire CCC and would finish off Jack's vision. Can't see it happening without large outside investment, as the Loons would have no appetite to fund it.

3 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

Interesting fact that was quoted by Steve Waggott last night about the 5,500 tickets sold for the PNE game this weekend:

Nearly 2500 of those fans have not bought a single ticket for a home match this season ( and are not ST holders).  

Is it that many folk just prefer the away-day experience or are big numbers still deliberately boycotting Ewood matches?

Didn't cause much discussion last night but I thought it was an amazing stat.

Statistics eh. Of those 2500 how many have bought a single ticket for an away match this season prior to Preston is the stat which would give a handle on whether these are away fans only or just single trippers to Preston. Nearly 50% sales for a single day out to Preston is hard to believe suggests numbers of home boycotters may be still a fair number

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hasta said:

To be fair the exact quote from the LT coverage was:-

"I haven't been here and felt what you've felt. The emotion of the situation, I'm trying to get to the point where we resolve it. It seems counter-productive that something they have done is keeping you away from supporting your team.

"I don't feel they think that paying their £25m a year to sustain the running of the club feel they have done much wrong."

Which us very different from how you have put it. Quite a diplomatic answer really.

I agree. TM does get it. I am sure of that.

I heard him respond to a question at the end of last season about the fans, needing to let go of any negativity towards  the owners and he said something about having too much affection for the supporters to comment on that...

18 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

In my view, the problem with Waggott is he just doesn’t seem to get the Rovers fanbase. He sees a 31,000 ground and a famous name, so improve the results and gates will improve markedly, not a lot else to do.

Sorry Steve, it doesn’t work like that here.

We are a club with a limited fanbase, based in a non affluent town with challenging demographics, in a highly competitive region. Season tickets between £320 and £400, match tickets at £24-£30 for mid table Championship football and he expects 16,000 gates?

We have 10-12,000 that turn up year in year out, but at this level we have to work hard to get it much higher. We aren’t based in an area like Waggott’s old stomping ground of Coventry, yes they are in the doldrums, but they have a big potential support in a city three times the size of Blackburn and a fanbase that stretches across Warwickshire (no other league clubs to compete with).

John Williams got it but it just doesn’t look like this guy will.

Reluctantly I went last night as Chair of the Trust but with limited expectations.

I quote MattyBlue here because it mirrors a lot of what we said to 6 of the Management team when we met them on November 5th. I will add more on the Attendances thread after the Nov 29th Trust board meeting. We really hammered the £3 surcharge and I did again last night. Also our main theme is 'how do we get fans back into the habit of going?"......get them for 3/4 games and you may well keep them. We met a bit of a wall and a bit of a siege mentality(we have done this before/people complain etc etc) but the Trust will keep pushing away. BUT the 6 people we met on Nov 5th I judged to be pretty committed and excellent professionals(including Steve Waggott) and we must not be too harsh and critical of them. I would like them to experiment and go for a 2,000 target  more each half season, around more £10 type matches/season ticket promotions and general Events. The Trust did put forward a number of great ideas put forward on the  BRFCS Attendance thread here(as MCM1975 knows)and we will continue to do so.

Back to the Consultation Event, it was ironic that the bitterness came from several sources but not from the Trust or BRAG - we were close together in the Forgive(but not forget) and Move On theme. Tony Mowbray talked about his Dad scratching the money together so they could go to Boro when he was 7, and squeezing thru the turnstyle to also get in free. The eyes of the audience last night started to get moist cos Tony gets it. Consultation meetings don't tend to move us on much, but I am sure many there last night will keep on pushing.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Biz said:

It’s an attractive tie - local “derby”, 15 minute drive, easy transport links even after poor trains. Decent pubs, the team is in decent form. £24 quid, I think they would’ve sold them all at £34 quid.

Compare that to Millwall and Rotherham at home, and it becomes obvious why those 2500 are only interested in more “appealing” games.

so... in your opinion, are those 2500 Rovers fans or not ?

Worth the effort trying HARD to get them back to Ewood or not?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

How we don’t have a statue of Bob Crompton, I simply don’t know.

Rovers captain, twice manager (and successful), brilliant moustache, England captain, regarded as the single best player in the world at the time (as a DEFENDER), brilliant moustache, local boy and spent his full playing career here, died after a Rovers vs Burnley match, brilliant moustache.

’Mr. Blackburn Rovers’ in every sense!

BC799ECC-2146-42ED-95AA-F580B045FC66.jpeg

Read that: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Crompton

Would rename any new Riverside stand in his honour.

Have stated for many years our history is not celebrated enough.

• Like 5

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Funny you say that SG, just watching a piece on Sky with Lambert at Ipswich training.

Terry Butcher, John Wark and George Burley were all at the session. I may be wrong, but I assume you don’t have Rovers legends trapping at Brockhall?

Dangerous road, look at Hendry as a coach. Until Mowbray we also had Short.

Only success of legends has been in coaching youth. 

7 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Good to hear the question of a Rovers Museum being raised...hope it comes to fruition.

A worthy venture for a Club of our History and standing.

Wont  attract much revenue but every club should have one.

7 hours ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

I agree that the Riverside needs flattening and something more modern and user friendly replacing it, a hotel would allow for viewing pitch side, a la Lancashire CCC and would finish off Jack's vision. Can't see it happening without large outside investment, as the Loons would have no appetite to fund it.

This is the Riverside Stand that we all threw cash into  buckets outside the turnstiles to build!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Is there a link to an audio boom anywhere

BBC Radio Lancs are making 60 mins of the event available on Wendesday before the Wigan game. 

But here are couple of audio clips

10 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

Interesting fact that was quoted by Steve Waggott last night about the 5,500 tickets sold for the PNE game this weekend:

Nearly 2500 of those fans have not bought a single ticket for a home match this season ( and are not ST holders).  

Is it that many folk just prefer the away-day experience or are big numbers still deliberately boycotting Ewood matches?

Didn't cause much discussion last night but I thought it was an amazing stat.

I am going with 2 friends who aren't season tickets holders but going Preston away. They are passion Rovers fans but have other commitments but do about 2 away games each season. Its a great shame. 

2 hours ago, Franky said:

so... in your opinion, are those 2500 Rovers fans or not ?

Worth the effort trying HARD to get them back to Ewood or not?

of course they are Rovers fans. I am going 2 friends who don't have season tickets due to work but do 2 away games a season. 

21 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Funny you say that SG, just watching a piece on Sky with Lambert at Ipswich training.

Terry Butcher, John Wark and George Burley were all at the session. I may be wrong, but I assume you don’t have Rovers legends trapping at Brockhall?

its a very good question. I quite like the idea but it all depends who you called legends. Mowbray has put pictures around the club of Rovers history and our time in the Premier League if I can remember correctly

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

BBC Radio Lancs are making 60 mins of the event available on Wendesday before the Wigan game. 

But here are couple of audio clips

I am going with 2 friends who aren't season tickets holders but going Preston away. They are passion Rovers fans but have other commitments but do about 2 away games each season. Its a great shame. 

of course they are Rovers fans. I am going 2 friends who don't have season tickets due to work but do 2 away games a season. 

its a very good question. I quite like the idea but it all depends who you called legends. Mowbray has put pictures around the club of Rovers history and our time in the Premier League if I can remember correctly

I may be wrong but that wasnt that done pre-Mowbray.