BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Collymore/Wright

Not sure if anyone read Collymores piece in the Guardian yesterday but he is bemoaning his lack of opportunities in getting media work and the fact that Lampard, Barton and Gerrard walk into managerial positions while the likes of Sol Campbell have been ignored for years.

Basically said that Ian Wright and Chris Kamara only got pundit roles for their comedic values and Jenas because he is bland and inoffensive. Ian Wright replied on Twitter suggesting there are other reasons why Collymore is not given pundit work (wife-beating and dogging springs to mind) and Collymore replied calling him a c***.

• Backroom

Garth Crooks, Mark Bright, Trevor Sinclair, Matt Murray and Don Goodman have also been regulars as pundits.

There is a point that the TV companies should be pickier with pundits but not based on race but based on the fact that the likes of Danny Murphy and Robbie Savage are just awful.

Seems any ex player can now suddenly be an expert in everything 

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Garth Crooks, Mark Bright, Trevor Sinclair, Matt Murray and Don Goodman have also been regulars as pundits.

There is a point that the TV companies should be pickier with pundits but not based on race but based on the fact that the likes of Danny Murphy and Robbie Savage are just awful.

Seems any ex player can now suddenly be an expert in everything 

Completely agree...he might make some good points but it reeks of jealousy from his side. Calling out Wright and Kamara as basically just clowns - is a bit off in my opinion.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I never understand that "Tom" insult. I think it's black people who act white, right? Is it not a racist thing to say? 

Think its something like that yeah or black people bowing down to whites or something. Another term I saw on Twitter in the comments was a coconut - dark on the outside but white on the inside.

Lets be honest though, I think it is quite clear why Collymore does not attract much media work and his name calling reply to Wright sums up those reasons. He is just not a very nice person who has been in the media alot for the wrong reasons, beating up Ulrika for instance. To then suggest it is down to skin colour and nothing else is way off. he does make some good points about the likes of Lampard, Gerrard and Barton walking straight into management but his own personal case cannot be argued really.

• Like 1

Punditry for many of them has become an easy way of making money after their playing career has ended and for me they could do away with the lot of them and save plenty of money. I very rarely watch/listen to what any of them have to say as I can make my own mind up having seen the incidents they are prattling on about. Very few of them have gone into management and some of them that have (Shearer and Neville) and failed spectacularly. I watch Rugby League on TV and the few pundits they have are both knowledgeable and insightful.

It's quite funny to see them squabbling and Collymore should take a long look at himself.

• Like 4

Just now, JacknOry said:

Think its something like that yeah or black people bowing down to whites or something. Another term I saw on Twitter in the comments was a coconut - dark on the outside but white on the inside.

Lets be honest though, I think it is quite clear why Collymore does not attract much media work and his name calling reply to Wright sums up those reasons. He is just not a very nice person who has been in the media alot for the wrong reasons, beating up Ulrika for instance. To then suggest it is down to skin colour and nothing else is way off. he does make some good points about the likes of Lampard, Gerrard and Barton walking straight into management but his own personal case cannot be argued really.

Malteser is another term I have seen used. I think the 'Tom' is a reference to Uncle Toms Cabin. 

Just now, arbitro said:

Malteser is another term I have seen used. I think the 'Tom' is a reference to Uncle Toms Cabin

Thanks, yes it seems you are right.

Uncle Tom is the title character of Harriet Beecher Stowe's 1852 novel, Uncle Tom's Cabin. The term "Uncle Tom" is also used as a derogatory epithet for an exceedingly subservient person, particularly when that person is aware of their own lower-class status based on race.

• Backroom

The other issue is Sol campbell seems to be a total fruit loop - compare and contrast with Darren Moore who has worked through academy and coaching roles and earned a big job.

Like gigs within football itself punditry will go alongside the biggest names easier than those a step down and for others who might sudden appear to be punching above their weight it will come down to our old favourite - who their agent is and how well connected he is to the media.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I never understand that "Tom" insult. I think it's black people who act white, right? Is it not a racist thing to say? 

It's exceptionally rotten. It originates from 'Uncle Tom's Cabin', a 19th Century novel by Harriet Beecher Stowe. Although Beecher Stowe meant well with her anti-slavery novel, the character Uncle Tom, has become synonymous with the placid and docile black man who does his best to please his white masters.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Punditry for many of them has become an easy way of making money after their playing career has ended and for me they could do away with the lot of them and save plenty of money. I very rarely watch/listen to what any of them have to say as I can make my own mind up having seen the incidents they are prattling on about. Very few of them have gone into management and some of them that have (Shearer and Neville) and failed spectacularly. I watch Rugby League on TV and the few pundits they have are both knowledgeable and insightful.

It's quite funny to see them squabbling and Collymore should take a long look at himself.

Spot on especially when you see the delegation the BBC send to 'cover' big events at licence payers money when all that happens really is most of them sit in the studio.

SKY etc as well seem to have ever expanding numbers of seats in their broadcasts, just how many opinions do you need on one bog standard game ? 

Old boys networks just getting as much out of the game as they can.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

As he brought it it up.

Of the new-ish  pundits, I just don’t get Jenas, he’s is never off the TV and radio, total wet lettuce. 

Give me Chris Sutton anytime!

Agree when he's on MotD, but I think he's much better on the radio. Think there are a few on the Beeb like that actually. Get them 5 minutes to summarise games then they're dull as dishwater. Get them talking about the game more generally and they're not as bad. 

An exception of course is Danny Murphy, who is equally excruciating on whatever format. 

• Like 1

Rio Ferdinand and Thierry Henry also get regular punditry gigs so I am really not sure how he can play the race card here. As Tomphil said, the bigger names in football are the ones that usually get offered punditry gigs. Stan Collymore was a decent player but it is clear he killed off any chance of punditry when he publicly beat Ulrika in 1998. Getting caught tossing off in a car park would not have helped either.

Edited by JacknOry

No comment on Collymore's personal life. I just don't know enough.

As a pundit, for a very long time, he was the only-and I mean only-ex footballer to talk critically about the "mismanagement" of our club. He did so on a number of occasions. The same cannot be said of any of our own ex players. I know Sutton began to speak out, but only fairly recently.

Stan  came out against the premier league and the F.A. and allowed our fans to speak-without trying to close them down, as soon as they mentioned certain agents!

Also, let's face it, he is not entirely wrong in his comments about the likes of Jenas...

Stan's the man!

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 4

• Moderation Lead

His comments about Sol Campbell are just ludicrous. Campbell doesn’t get jobs because he’s a whopper with a massive chip on his shoulder, it’s not complicated.

Maybe he has a point with Black managers not getting jobs en masse, but having a meltdown on Twitter isn’t the way to go about things. As well as using disgraceful terms either.

• Like 1

It has been well documented in the past that Stan has had mental health problems and it would not surprise me if he was not quite 100% at the moment.  It's sad that he is making these comments and in a few months time he will probably regret making them but someone needs to get him off social media for the time being. As Leonard said earlier he was the pundit most vocal and sympathetic to our problems.

Edited by Hanks
grammer
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Tom said:

The other issue is Sol campbell seems to be a total fruit loop - compare and contrast with Darren Moore who has worked through academy and coaching roles and earned a big job.

Darren Moore came up the hard way through the lower leagues. He knows the other side of football. As far as I can see all Campbell knows about is the big boys and being on mega bucks.

• Like 1