Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JacknOry

Collymore/Wright

Recommended Posts

The reason Sol Campbell doesn't get work is because he comes out with stuff like this:

I'm one of the greatest minds in football and I'm being wasted because of a lack of experience or "maybe he talks his mind too much".

“Go to Germany, they love people who speak their minds. They got the jobs. I'm sorry that I've got a mind, but don't be scared of that. That should be something you want at your club, but obviously not.”

If Collymore wants to talk about non-white coaching/managing in football being an issue then that's fine, but don't use Sol as your prime example. He brought up Joey Barton as a person of similar outspoken character who got a job at Fleetwood - but the only reason for that is that Barton is mates with Fleetwood's chairman. I doubt he had much interest from anywhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Spot on especially when you see the delegation the BBC send to 'cover' big events at licence payers money when all that happens really is most of them sit in the studio.

SKY etc as well seem to have ever expanding numbers of seats in their broadcasts, just how many opinions do you need on one bog standard game ? 

Old boys networks just getting as much out of the game as they can.

Right on cue:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44435725

They are in addition to the plethora of 'experts' already on the gravy train at our expense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sol Campbell and Stan Collymore are muppets I don’t think anyone would deny that.

That said English football and football in general does seem to have a problem with BAME managers. The facts speak for themselves 1 in 4 players retiring are BAME, last count there were about 5 managers who were BAME. I’ve had a discussion about this once on one of the Rovers Facebook page and was met with nonsense replies from idiots. If someone can give me an explanation why there are hardly any BAME managers compared to players/ex players I’m all ears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Garage Flower said:

Sol Campbell and Stan Collymore are muppets I don’t think anyone would deny that.

That said English football and football in general does seem to have a problem with BAME managers. The facts speak for themselves 1 in 4 players retiring are BAME, last count there were about 5 managers who were BAME. I’ve had a discussion about this once on one of the Rovers Facebook page and was met with nonsense replies from idiots. If someone can give me an explanation why there are hardly any BAME managers compared to players/ex players I’m all ears. 

Like I said, he did make some good points. Lampard, Gerard and Barton all walk into jobs without any experience so why is this not so much the case for black players?

He ruined it by going the wrong way about it though, using Campbell as an example and then attacking Wright and Kamara saying they dont really count as they are Toms or whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JacknOry said:

Like I said, he did make some good points. Lampard, Gerard and Barton all walk into jobs without any experience so why is this not so much the case for black players?

He ruined it by going the wrong way about it though, using Campbell as an example and then attacking Wright and Kamara saying they dont really count as they are Toms or whatever.

I’m personally in favour of a Rooney Rule. Seems to be a controversial opinion but what else can football do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Garage Flower said:

I’m personally in favour of a Rooney Rule. Seems to be a controversial opinion but what else can football do?

There are arguments about how effective it really is but like you say, there is not much else that can be done. its not just the English league in Europe either, I mean you rarely see black managers in any of the major national leagues in Europe. Id like to see someone like Thierry Henry go on and become a successful manager to perhaps break the mould a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue with a Rooney rule (not that I'm fully conversant in how it works) is box-ticking can be twisted.

Eg: As a deaf person in teaching (I can speak and hear perfectly fine, but with hearing aids), I often felt I was being interviewed because I was ticking the 'disabled' box. When I stopped ticking the box, I got significantly fewer interviews and the mood noticeably soured once the interviewer realised I wore hearing aids.

It became apparent that schools were using me to prove they interviewed disabled candidates. In schools I worked at on supply I was constantly being assumed as unable to hear children even though I could, and there was no obvious reason for this to be assumed other than lack of deaf awareness.

Box-ticking it gets you to the interview stage. But based on my own experience, you quickly get drained of your confidence by not getting jobs and it appears to be the case with BAME in footy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sol Campbell is an egomaniac who has a bag of chips on his shoulder. He plays the race card at every opportunity, whether it is why he didn't captain England, or didn't become mayor of London whenever he doesn't get a job. That said, it is very strange how few ex-players who are black or mixed race become top coaches. Sol was not the right choice to use in this case. Sadly Rovers' one black manager turned out to be a complete tool, and we got accused of racism by sacking him. We didn't get many plaudits in hiring him though.

 

And in reply to Mike E, the Rooney rule may end up basically allowing substandard managers like Ince to get a bung to be the 'box ticker' when the club really wants I don't know, Ancelotti. That would probably block opportunities for Darren Moore for example unless he does really well at West Brom.

Edited by Norbert Rassragr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2018 at 10:58, Leonard Venkhater said:

No comment on Collymore's personal life. I just don't know enough.

As a pundit, for a very long time, he was the only-and I mean only-ex footballer to talk critically about the "mismanagement" of our club. He did so on a number of occasions. The same cannot be said of any of our own ex players. I know Sutton began to speak out, but only fairly recently.

Stan  came out against the premier league and the F.A. and allowed our fans to speak-without trying to close them down, as soon as they mentioned certain agents!

Also, let's face it, he is not entirely wrong in his comments about the likes of Jenas...

Stan's the man!

Not to mention its hardly fair to.have a go at him for tossing off at a bit of dogging when our own star player was involved in something similar? Not that i support him giving ulrika a hiding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2018 at 12:49, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Darren Moore came up the hard way through the lower leagues. He knows the other side of football. As far as I can see all Campbell knows about is the big boys and being on mega bucks.

And what do Gerrard lampard and Neville know about the hard side of football?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to listen to him on talk sport and thought he was the best of the 'football' pundits. 

But his personal life seems to be a slow motion car crash. Very sad that he's clearly been battling with mental health issues for many years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2018 at 11:27, Mattyblue said:

He had a good gig with talksport, yet they didn’t renew his contract.

So, something obviously went on and acting unhinged on social media since isn’t going to get him another one.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/pcc-rejects-complaint-stan-collymore-over-sun-i-only-hit-her-open-hand-story/

I think the issue was Talksport was bought out by the company that owns The Sun newspaper. 

And since he had been in some legal battles with the paper as in the link, clearly his contract was never going to be renewed. 

It's also the reason that Colin Murray quit immediately, because as a Liverpool fan he refused to take paychecks from a company related to The Sun. Which I kind of respect him for, but to be fair, it's a lot easier to be picking and choosing jobs on moral grounds when you're a multi-millionaire. Don't think a lot of the rest of us have that luxury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Campbell has been offered several roles within academies and junior set ups but has refused them as he believes he should start at managerial level because of the level he played at, he's not been given jobs because he's an arrogant sod. It was interesting that he bemoaned Craig Bellamy on 5 live for being given an interview for the Oxford job when he was turned down, he argued it was because he was black. The interviewer challenged him on it and pointed out Bellamy had spent a number of years working FOC with Cardiff's U12's, U14's before taking a paid role on the academy, working up to reserve manager and then first team coach, whilst also undertaking his various FIFA quals, Campbell fell apart. 

To play devil's advocate, why does Sol Campbell have to take academy rolls and work with children and sweep the floor at a 3rd division club when players of similar stature and career's (Lampard/Gerrard/Neville) walk into major jobs without doing the same. Stephen Gerrard has never come across to me a manager in waiting or ever remotely bright, I will hold my hands up if he turns out to be a genius.

Sol Campbel may indeed be a fruit-loop I don't know but it does not appear to me that he has received a fair shake of the stick I am not convinced its racism maybe its an agent thing????

Edited by Blow-in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

Sol Campbel may indeed be a fruit-loop I don't know but it does not appear to me that he has received a fair shake of the stick I am not convinced its racism maybe its an agent thing????

Dark forces?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Dark forces?

"Dark"??  RACE CARD!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Silas said:

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/pcc-rejects-complaint-stan-collymore-over-sun-i-only-hit-her-open-hand-story/

I think the issue was Talksport was bought out by the company that owns The Sun newspaper. 

And since he had been in some legal battles with the paper as in the link, clearly his contract was never going to be renewed. 

It's also the reason that Colin Murray quit immediately, because as a Liverpool fan he refused to take paychecks from a company related to The Sun. Which I kind of respect him for, but to be fair, it's a lot easier to be picking and choosing jobs on moral grounds when you're a multi-millionaire. Don't think a lot of the rest of us have that luxury. 

Colin Murray a multimillionaire? Really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Colin Murray a multimillionaire? Really?

Easy.

He started on Radio One in 1999.

2 decades in the top level of tv and radio. 

I think you'd be surprised, multi millionaire is probably a modest description.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Blow-in said:

To play devil's advocate, why does Sol Campbell have to take academy rolls and work with children and sweep the floor at a 3rd division club when players of similar stature and career's (Lampard/Gerrard/Neville) walk into major jobs without doing the same. Stephen Gerrard has never come across to me a manager in waiting or ever remotely bright, I will hold my hands up if he turns out to be a genius.

Sol Campbel may indeed be a fruit-loop I don't know but it does not appear to me that he has received a fair shake of the stick I am not convinced its racism maybe its an agent thing????

I'm not saying they should, it should be said though that Gerrard has been working with Liverpool academy for quite some time and is going to manage Rangers so he is starting at a low level, league 1 equivalent..........

Neville got jobs because of his relationship with Peter Lim and Lampard got the Derby job based on his punditry, I think all pro's should have to start off working with academies/serve an appreticeship. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Gerrard has been working with Liverpool academy for quite some time and is going to manage Rangers so he is starting at a low level, league 1 equivalent..........

 

 

Ut oh! Is that a horse I can hear galloping towards this thread? 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Ut oh! Is that a horse I can hear galloping towards this thread? 😁

Would that be a dehydrated one Matty? 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Ut oh! Is that a horse I can hear galloping towards this thread? 😁

I couldn't resist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's often better to get the foreign stream on. The Russians often just show highlights at half-time and I've seen Spanish ones where they just put the news on.

It's you that's paying extra for all the inane pundit waffle at the end of the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.