BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pre Season Matches

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Our best 11 is decent. It's the back up 11 that has been problematic.  We all know that certain of the players can't go 90 minutes these days, one or two others have long time injury issues.  If either of the centre backs are injured we have Williams and Downing. Ok for a game or two or the last 20 minutes but not top class replacements for a length of time. Same applies to Graham. Dack was a bit of a worry, he finished last season carrying a strain, but if this lad from Chelsea does sign he looks like he could fill his big boots. 

Agreed.  It's obvious now they aren't going to sign players to go straight in the side it'll be very much as you were which a lot suspected and no marquee signings so back up or add ons need to be similar to last season only perhaps better, like the Chelsea lad for instance.

I'd still push the boat out for a striker with some genuine threat whether loan or not and the rugged centre half we've been crying out for for years to back up Lenihen/Mulgrew.

Evans will be in and out again especially around his international commitments so pray Whittingham has a bit left in the tank !

44 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's probably his " fighting weight ". If he lost some weight he might not be much quicker and he wouldn't  be as strong on the ball. He's not a flier speed wise but he's got a great change of pace, going from jogging to sprinting very quickly. He uses it sparingly and to great effect.

His big arse is central to the way he plays. Looks a bit unorthodox sometimes but really effective. Doesn't really seem to tire during games so not held him back yet.

• Like 2

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

His big arse is central to the way he plays. Looks a bit unorthodox sometimes but really effective. Doesn't really seem to tire during games so not held him back yet.

King Kenny had the most effective big arse I've ever seen on a football pitch - In his pomp he was amazing at holding off and turning defenders with it :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Was just going to say this. Dacks goal last night could have been a Kink Kenny special 

Kinky Kenny?

I've played with K-Hod a couple of times but he's not that good. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The shirt is dreadful. What we were thinking of allowing that to be foisted on us is a mystery. Great performance though.

Tbh after seeing it live I agree. I think it looks nice as a shirt for fans to wear but it doesn't have the same effect as the darker blue when the team where it. I prefer the dark blue

7 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The awful shirt could only be made to look worse by the wearing of dark socks so that is exactly what the fashion philistines do.

I am convinced that the late kit release was to accomodate the late arrival of a sponsor and logo with pale blue finally chosen to suit the logo. I expect similar as long as 10 bet are sponsors.

The colour change is nothing to do with paying respect to Rovers history, which those who favour the new blue are manipulating anyway. They tried and got away with that con in the Birdy episode.

After that? They are capable of anything ... Venkys colours, who knows.

Ironically, the 'Venky Blue' in their logo is actually a better match for our more traditional Royal Blue!

52 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Something I noticed last season he's a good engine on him despite appearances.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, benhben said:

Is that a wind up? For me its arguably the worst home kit I can remember. Watched the game on a livestream and it looks awful. That washed out blue just doesnt look good in any way. Why anyone would design that I dont know. West Brom also have the same sponsor and have made it work by matching the colour scheme. 

Otherwise a great performance. I think were only a couple of players from being a competetive championship side, positions which I think are obvious. 

Certainly not a wind up! I suppose I must be in the minority but I’m surprised it’s caused such a fuss.

At least we can all agree that the performance was pleasing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

Didn't think Smallwood was good last night.Hoping we can see the return of the Smallwood that we seen in the first half of last season.Not convinced he will show enough quality in the championship to keep his place but hope he proves me wrong

He does a lot of things well, and i thought he played very well for the most part yesterday as his passing and composure were better than it has been for months, but all you need to do is actually watch him when the opposition are counter attacking, it's appalling how slow/pedestrian he has become.  

There was one counter attack in the second half where Dack was dispossessed in the top corner of the penalty area when Evans, Nyambe and Bennett all forward in support and Smallwood near half way - fast forward 15-25 seconds and Everton had a scuffed shot from 12 ish yards out. Evans, Nyambe and Bennett were all back in our area with Bell, Mulgrew and Lenihan, whereas Smallwood was still at least 35-40 yards from goal. He puts not effort to try to get back as it will lead to more yellow cards - which now seem to be his Kryptonite.

I genuinely feel that two from Bennett, Evans, Travis, even Davenport should be starting ahead of him, i honestly see him as our weak link and hope we can get another winger in to push Bennett back there for good and allow the likes of Davenport and Travis game time next to him. Smallwood should be no more than a squad player for us right now. Until he rediscovers what he had 12-8 months ago, he would be my 5th choice for CM.

I'm sure many people will be fully disagree with me, however i have always felt he has been given so much support from the fan base simply because he wasn't Jason Lowe.

Travis however, i see big things (and plenty of Red cards) for that lad!

• Like 4

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

He does a lot of things well, and i thought he played very well for the most part yesterday as his passing and composure were better than it has been for months, but all you need to do is actually watch him when the opposition are counter attacking, it's appalling how slow/pedestrian he has become.  

There was one counter attack in the second half where Dack was dispossessed in the top corner of the penalty area when Evans, Nyambe and Bennett all forward in support and Smallwood near half way - fast forward 15-25 seconds and Everton had a scuffed shot from 12 ish yards out. Evans, Nyambe and Bennett were all back in our area with Bell, Mulgrew and Lenihan, whereas Smallwood was still at least 35-40 yards from goal. He puts not effort to try to get back as it will lead to more yellow cards - which now seem to be his Kryptonite.

I genuinely feel that two from Bennett, Evans, Travis, even Davenport should be starting ahead of him, i honestly see him as our weak link and hope we can get another winger in to push Bennett back there for good and allow the likes of Davenport and Travis game time next to him. Smallwood should be no more than a squad player for us right now. Until he rediscovers what he had 12-8 months ago, he would be my 5th choice for CM.

I'm sure many people will be fully disagree with me, however i have always felt he has been given so much support from the fan base simply because he wasn't Jason Lowe.

I like Travis a lot. Him and Dack can play , but they have a nasty streak. I like the nasty streaks 

I was thinking watching the game last night, Dack reminds me of a cross between Paul Gascoigne and Carlos Tevez. A great combination. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

That's a pretty fair assessment. I'd love Bennett back in the middle .

• Like 1

This might sound stupid but I think our most under rated player is actually Mulgrew.

Whenever you see peoples opinions of games and who played well it is rare that people pick out Mulgrew.

I think personally his other assets ie his composure on the ball, his free kicks and set pieces in general take some of the focus away from how good he is as a centre back at defending.

He is the organiser back there, I find it baffling that anyone would want him anywhere but in the heart of defence, his defensive work is taken for granted I think.

Was very good last night but hasnt really got a mention.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I like Travis a lot. Him and Dack can play , but they have a nasty streak. I like the nasty streaks 

I was thinking watching the game last night, Dack reminds me of a cross between Paul Gascoigne and Carlos Tevez. A great combination. 

In our tumble down the leagues we lacked the players who'd rather kick their grandmother than lose. The Mark Hughes, David Speedie, Paul Dickov types. Every team needs a couple of guys who'll put a foot in when needed. We were too easily intimidated in my opinion.

• Like 7

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In our tumble down the leagues we lacked the players who'd rather kick their grandmother than lose. The Mark Hughes, David Speedie, Paul Dickov types. Every team needs a couple of guys who'll put a foot in when needed. We were too easily intimidated in my opinion.

I 1000% agree with you there. We had some toothless yellow bellies wearing the jersey since venkys took over. This current team have players that will fight tooth and nail not to lose, that's infectious on the others around them. You can even see its coming out in Graham and Bennett, who had totally lost the fight under coyle. 

Dack barging Everton players off the ball in a friendly is a huge testament to the type of character he is. I think he will relish playing in the championship. He's a big game player. 

Travis flaking into baines in a friendly likewise. You wouldn't think it by looking at him, but he's got a nasty streak in him. It's clear he doesn't like losing. 

I remember even one game last season a player put a late tackle in on Raya and he was straight up into the players face. Mulgrew had to pull him away. You need lads that will fight if you have any hope of finishing high up the league. We have a nice few of them now it seems 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Too right all that was replaced by petulance, arrogance, and bottlers with a nice sprinkle of snowflakes despite some being decent players in GBs time.  Nice to see some true grit coming back over the last 12 months long may it continue.

Don't want to be Blackeye Rovers  but you can't beat a bit of bully-ing on the grass now and again ?

• Like 3

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Remember the team under sparky, every second week an opposition manager was complaining about our "strong arm tactics". Mostly because they didn't get what they wanted from the game. I loved that team 

Freidel

Neill, Todd, Nelsen, Gray

Emerton, Reid, Savage, Pedersen

Dickov, Bellamy

I think that was our line-up for an away game at Sunderland once. Look at it! Only Pedersen who was a soft-arse.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Remember the team under sparky, every second week an opposition manager was complaining about our "strong arm tactics". Mostly because they didn't get what they wanted from the game. I loved that team 

Used to get hammered by the southern soft arse journo's as well - loved it !

• Like 1