BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pre Season Matches

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dont really get your insistence on Wharton and your unhappiness that he left on loan, considering your interest in our youth players in terms of breaking into the first team, and also his position.

I'm guessing you wouldnt see him breaking up Mulgrew and Lenihan. Therefore his game time would be extremely limited.

That said, im guessing the Greer comment is based on him being at that fun day yesterday, but totally agree that id be very annoyed if he signed.

Not sure why you are struggling as I’ve previously explained. If he isn’t ready for the first team bench then he should be on loan at a L1 club with a short recall. He has already done it in L2. If the rumour I heard is true (that he has gone there for guaranteed games to get match fit) and he’s not confident in starting in a L1 side then maybe he isn’t what I hoped he was. I’m looking for the next Lenihan or Jones, not the next O’Connell or Edwards.

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Not sure why you are struggling as I’ve previously explained. If he isn’t ready for the first team bench then he should be on loan at a L1 club with a short recall. He has already done it in L2. If the rumour I heard is true (that he has gone there for guaranteed games to get match fit) and he’s not confident in starting in a L1 side then maybe he isn’t what I hoped he was. I’m looking for the next Lenihan or Jones, not the next O’Connell or Edwards.

Apologies. I remember you saying that you would have loaned him to League 1 and I thought you had a fair point.

I thought you was suggesting that he should have stayed here. My mistake.

I disagree completely about Wharton. How many games will Mulgrew and Lenihan miss between them? I wouldn't be surprised if It's in the order of 25. plus substitute appearances. Wharton should have been promoted ahead of Downing in the pecking order for me and retained.

Is anyone actually happy with the prospect of Downing and Greer as back up?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I disagree completely about Wharton. How many games will Mulgrew and Lenihan miss between them? I wouldn't be surprised if It's in the order of 25. plus substitute appearances. Wharton should have been promoted ahead of Downing in the pecking order for me and retained.

Dont think anyone would want Greer as back up.

I wouldnt be opposed to loaning out Travis, just to get him regular game time but if he stays around you know its far easier to get him game time. Say hes on the bench and we are winning, his versatility means its fairly easy to get him valuable minutes. With Wharton being a centre back its far more difficult so I think hes better playing regular football, albeit im not convinced he should be in League 2.

19 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Wharton should have been promoted ahead of Downing in the pecking order for me and retained.

Totally, totally with you on this....Downing has gone under the radar a bit due to our good form in L1 and our non-reliance upon him.  My view is that he's not L1 level and any games that he plays in the championship will end in defeat.  He's not up to quick quality attackers.  Slightly better than that other dolloper who came about the same time as him.....Elliot Ward..?

To seriously stay in this league we need 2 x quality defenders extra

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Greer? Lol. Man, do some research. 

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im almost certain hes not under the impression that he still plays for us. He was at Ewood yesterday, as mentioned above.

I know he was, I saw the picture too.

He asked would we be happy with Downing and Greer as back up. I take that to mean... What it says 

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I know he was, I saw the picture too.

He asked would we be happy with Downing and Greer as back up. I take that to mean... What it says 

You should open a straw man shop. This time next year doggers. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Wharton is left footed, id presume that when Mulgrew is injured then Mowbray would put Williams in at centre half and Bell at lb.

Wharton will benefit from playing every week, I know there is an argument that he should have been loaned to a league one side but imo I don't think there is a huge gap between league 1 and 2.It could be that Mowbray feels he needs work on the physical side of his game and coming up against big lumps every week will toughen him up.

I don't believe for 1 second that we will be signing Greer. Has there actually been something concrete that he will be joining or is this on the back of him being at the festival?

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Totally, totally with you on this....Downing has gone under the radar a bit due to our good form in L1 and our non-reliance upon him.  My view is that he's not L1 level and any games that he plays in the championship will end in defeat.  He's not up to quick quality attackers.  Slightly better than that other dolloper who came about the same time as him.....Elliot Ward..?

To seriously stay in this league we need 2 x quality defenders extra

Think this is a little unfair on Downing. He came in to replace Ward (when he was a liability) and Lenihan was out. He was an important element in our upturn in results post Oldham away.

Fully fledged Championship defender, I’m not sure, but more experienced than Wharton? Absolutely! I trust TM’s assessment of centre halves.

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Spot on. Beat me to it

Edited by Oldgregg86

It is a little disappointing that after doing ok in a couple of Championship games TWO YEARS ago that Wharton isn't being considered for the first team squad but I suppose TM has seen a lot more of him.  I  thought  Downing did well enough last year but there was a big improvement when Lenihan returned last year, I don't think he's up to Championship level and if Lenihan gets injured and he plays a lot we could be in trouble. I  don't rate Williams highly either but as Speedie says we have to hope TM is right.

3 hours ago, Ozz said:

I hope we don't need to rely on Caddis at all this season.  I pretty sure I saw he had a belly on him yesterday. 

Caddis had problems with his weight at Birmingham and openly admited it at the time and he saw it as not being a issue..

He looks like he as the same issue here at Blackburn and to be honest it was the first thing i noticed on his first game of the season, i actualy did say at the time it was time to hang up his boots along with Elliot Ward .

Seeing him yesterday he looked a good few pounds heavier ,i think his argument is he can still do 90 mins maybe he can but but at what expense loads of free kicks given away when you cant do your job..It's not difficult for a preofessional footballer to loose a stone when you are still being paid to do youre job..

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Pest control would be better. Lots of little pests on here. Especially passive aggresive little trolls who use eye rolling emojis 

So stop inventing or skewing others’ opinions so you can knock them down. There is too much of that goes on. At least play the game so you call people out on their actual opinions that you don’t agree with and not your twist.

Or carry on with the equally “passive aggressive” insults. Ironic that you’ve interpreted that phrase to your own ends though too. (Don’t worry it’s a common mistake).

31 minutes ago, Stuart said:

So stop inventing or skewing others’ opinions so you can knock them down. There is too much of that goes on. At least play the game so you call people out on their actual opinions that you don’t agree with and not your twist.

Or carry on with the equally “passive aggressive” insults. Ironic that you’ve interpreted that phrase to your own ends though too. (Don’t worry it’s a common mistake).

Get off your high horse Stuart, there is enough of that 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

Think this is a little unfair on Downing. He came in to replace Ward (when he was a liability) and Lenihan was out. He was an important element in our upturn in results post Oldham away.

Fully fledged Championship defender, I’m not sure, but more experienced than Wharton? Absolutely! I trust TM’s assessment of centre halves.

It’s not unfair.  He might be able to slot in a top 2 side against very mediocre forward lines at times, but mark my words if he plays centre half in the championship he will get taken to the cleaners by the quality in this league.  He’s a plodder, a bit better than Evans, but my god Evans really was poorr.  He also happens to be the son of Tony’s mate.  

We cant just make do in this league, we need some serious signings in defence or we could be in for a long season

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Where did I state that Downing is the finished article? Downing was an enormous improvement on Ward, who’s lack of pace caused the entire team to play so much deeper.

Mowbray spotted this (not hard!) and dropped him. Oldham was Ward’s death knell.

The inference of my point was that Downing has more experience than Wharton and Mowbray is bringing Wharton on by loaning him out.

When Lenihan and Mulgrew are fit, they will always be our first choice pairing. Mowbray has said previously that there is a balance between having young players being in and aroun the first team squad vs playing regular senior level football in lower leagues which is more competitive and combatative than U23’s.

Aplogies if I was too ambiguous. My comments about trusting TM’s judgement of centre halves was predominantly to do with Wharton’s development. It is also another way to quietly increase the value of a homegrown asset.