BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Joe Rothwell

Left sided mid ?   Probably just filling the Antonsson void and it seems he's a handy player but maybe another made of glass although if he's just a squad man it should be easier to keep him fit.

Why are these types all so fragile these days compared to 10/15 years ago ?

Seems a solid signing with potential for the future judging by the reaction of Oxford fans. 

Not an automatic "1st eleven" signing I wouldn't think. So hopefully we're still working on a few others with more proven ability.

I see that Stuart Armstrong from Celtic who Coyle tried to bring here is on the verge of signing for Southampton for 6 million. 

Don't know too much about Rothwell seems like he is highly regarded and has some talent,his injury record is a bit of a concern though

All I remember is Coyle trying to bring in that clumsy defender from up there who I think ended up at Hibs or somewhere ?

Oh and desperately always trying to bring in Giles Barnes - whatever happened to him ?

Glad those days are gone neither were worth it but I think this lad might be.

• Like 1

I think Rothwell is the kind of player we need to be signing. We have to realistic with the kind of money we can spend, I can only really see us spending 500k-1m on 2-3 players at the most.

Rothwell definetley resembles somewhat of a gamble, seems to be abit injury prone and inconsisitent according to OxU fans but a player who has undoubted quality. 

Sometimes when a player joins a new club its helps them step up and take there game up a notch, Id back TM to get the best out of him, and if he can then he is a player who could excel for us and have potential big resale value. So as one of our most likely cheaper signings I think this is a Decent start to our business. Only time will tell.

Edited by TruRover
Spelling
  • Like 3

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, Garage Flower said:

Joe Rothwell is the right man for the moment. 

You've got the transfer, that's safe. Now do you want to go for the first team, young man?

6 hours ago, TruRover said:

I think Rothwell is the kind of player we need to be signing. We have to realistic with the kind of money we can spend, I can only really see us spending 500k-1m on 2-3 players at the most.

Rothwell definetley resembles somewhat of a gamble, seems to be abit injury prone and inconsisitent according to OxU fans but a player who has undoubted quality. 

Sometimes when a player joins a new club its helps them step up and take there game up a notch, Id back TM to get the best out of him, and if he can then he is a player who could excel for us and have potential big resale value. So as one of our most likely cheaper signings I think this is a spot Be stayer to our business. Only time will tell.

Should be spending £5 -6m on a striker that can deliver plus add to his sell on value. 

Good luck to you guys and gals who like freebies and Sam the mule and no further progress.

Edited by JAL

• Backroom
1 minute ago, JAL said:

Should be spending £5 -6m on a striker that can deliver plus add to his sell on value. 

Good luck to you guys and gals who like freebies and Sam the mule and no further progress.

He thinks we have £6m ???

Nobody likes freebies or cheap players or loans. We all know that to really progress we need to spend some real money, but we do understand that the cash isn't there for well documented reasons, and we have to tailor our expectations to the real world. But you know that don't you? 

4 minutes ago, JAL said:

Difficult to disagree. If we Don't do something like that, next season is likely to be a real struggle.

As things stand we have Nuttall and Samuel who probably aren't good enough and Graham who may or may not be up to it next Season.

We're likely to be hugely reliant on Dack once again. If he signs a new contract.

2 hours ago, JAL said:

Signing a 6 million striker would help us progress no doubt. Unfortunately we probaly only have half that amount to spend this summer, and secondly we can't just spend all our budget on a striker. We saw a couple of seasons ago with Rudy and Rhodes that you can have a High value strike force and it might not even get you a playoff spot.

Big signings are great, they get us fans excited and they do add quality, but they can also dissapoint, Rhodes was dissapointing for Boro(12million) McCormack and Hogan for Villa have had barely an impact (12-15 million each). Some are successes but it's always a risk, and oftern it's the cheaper players who step up and  can be the most important to the squad, Rudy was a better all round player than Rhodes and got the goals aswell and he cost 400k! Marriott last season is another example.

We can't just splash the little we have on 1 player, it needs to be 2/3players which will largely improve the starting 11, supplemented with players like Rothwell, who can overall upgrade the squad and who have the potential to push the starting 11 and become a important player for us.  

2 hours ago, JAL said:

Do you have the names of any such players? 

Why 6 million and not 7 or 8 million?

You make it sound so simple