BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Joe Rothwell

9 minutes ago, dallydally said:

MOM for me today. Terrific performance

I thought similar but could see why Bennett got it today. He’s fast becoming my favourite player.

We need a left winger though so that he can go back in the middle. He’s the closest we’ve had to Tugay in terms of his ability to spot, and execute, a pass. Can get any higher praise than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

Hardly a find. He was good at Oxford last season. The great thing is that he has been able to make the step up

Umm..He is a find...played at Oxford in league 1 and was hardly setting the world on fire! We get him for a few hundred thousand and he looks excellent.

Davenport is supposed to be better, so can't wait to see him.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Considering them comments and the inability of our other players who have been tried wide (wide players wouldnt be accurate as we dont have them) to nail down a starting spot, I would be very surprised and dissapointed to see Rothwell on the bench tomorrow.

Seeing as Bennett was rested midweek, I think it looks likely that he'll be on one wing at that'll probably be at the expense of Rothwell, but let's see.

Interesting to see Mowbray talk him up in a way that he hasn't really done with that many other attacking players, so clearly he's well in his thoughts for starting games, even if tomorrow isn't one of them.

31 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Seeing as Bennett was rested midweek, I think it looks likely that he'll be on one wing at that'll probably be at the expense of Rothwell, but let's see.

Interesting to see Mowbray talk him up in a way that he hasn't really done with that many other attacking players, so clearly he's well in his thoughts for starting games, even if tomorrow isn't one of them.

Surely Rothwell will start ahead of Palmer and Armstrong for this one.

Rothwell, Dack and Bennett behind Graham

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Neal said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17186899.rovers-boss-will-keep-making-tough-calls-with-team-selection/?ref=mac

Sounds like Mowbray doesn't really fancy Rothwell because he doesn't work as hard as other midfielders we have. I thought he put a real shift in on Saturday. 11 Smallwood's won't win you games Tony!

He obviously fancies him. He signed him and started him in our last game. He is just pointing out that he expects him to work harder definsivley, I don't think you can argue that in the middle;Smallwood, Reed and Evans all do more in that regard. I think it's turning into a straight fight between Armstrong and Rothwell for one of our "wing" positions. The "defensive one" will be filled by Reed(if he isn't' centrally and then who of Evans and Smallwood drop out??) or Bennett. 

• Backroom

Rothwell looks really dynamic and I like his drive when he gets the ball, problem is it hasn’t quite come off for him yet, does he have any goals or assists in league or cup?

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

Rothwell looks really dynamic and I like his drive when he gets the ball, problem is it hasn’t quite come off for him yet, does he have any goals or assists in league or cup?

I thought the same watching him. End product lacking, very dynamic and effective up until that though. If he sorts that out he will be a very useful player 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

I think it's harsh to presume his end product is lacking, considering he's only had 4 starts and sometimes played holding midfield. He was unlucky not to have got the goal against Bolton. Should have buried the one st the wekend though. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I thought the same watching him. End product lacking, very dynamic and effective up until that though. If he sorts that out he will be a very useful player 

Agree with you about end product at the moment.  Defensively, I can see why Mowbray would select others ahead of him as he's not always switched on when we don't have the ball.  Early days yet but, at the moment, he certainly wouldn't be in my starting eleven.

Edited by Parsonblue
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Neal said:

I think it's harsh to presume his end product is lacking, considering he's only had 4 starts and sometimes played holding midfield. He was unlucky not to have got the goal against Bolton. Should have buried the one st the wekend though. 

I am not presuming his end product is lacking, I am certain of it from what i have seen so far. He is doing everything right up until shooting or playing through a final ball. Could be nerves and once he gets the first goal or assist he will be up and running 

He's still young at a new club at and playing level above what he has played at before. He's a very tidy on the ball and someone who I think will continue to improve the more he plays. He does need to do some work on the defensive side of his game and stay on his feet a bit more instead of sliding in. But for me him and Palmer are our best two option to play wide of Dack in a three behind the striker.

On 30/10/2018 at 14:50, Parsonblue said:

Agree with you about end product at the moment.  Defensively, I can see why Mowbray would select others ahead of him as he's not always switched on when we don't have the ball.  Early days yet but, at the moment, he certainly wouldn't be in my starting eleven.

I know TM has clear expectations of his players but i think there needs to be someone who's more technically gifted in there. We always seem to be closing down and chasing without dictating play. Tugay's defensive game was pretty much non existant but he could help us get our foot on the ball and make the other team work. Joe Rothwell might not be the best defensively but he's technically the best midfielder we have, if the defensive side of his game was as good as the rest then he'd still be at Man UTD playing first team football already.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 3