BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Joe Rothwell

32 minutes ago, Neal said:

I know TM has clear expectation of his players but i think there needs to be someone who's more technically gifted in there. We always seem to be closing down and chasing without dictating play. Tugay's defensive game was pretty much non existant but he could help us get our foot on the ball and make the other team work. Joe Rothwell might not be the best defensively but he's technically the best midfielder we have, if the defensive side of his game was as good as the rest then he'd still be at Man UTD playing fiest team football already.

Debatable if he is the best technical centre midfielder we have. I would say that is Rodwell 

Im not sure Rothwells assets favour a central midfield birth at all.

I do appreciate the importance of needing to be somewhat defensively capable as a wide man but its about getting the balance. You need a bit of both.

Conversely something ive argued at points when Bennett has struggled to contribute offensively is that our "defensive" wide man needs to be scoring and assisting at least somewhat, just as much as our attacking wide man needs to be at least somewhat defensively responsible.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Debatable if he is the best technical centre midfielder we have. I would say that is Rodwell 

He can play with two feet but is a pretty big and robust type of player. Rothwell can turn on a six pence, has great ability to pass and move into space in tight areas. Moves the ball around really well. 

Personally i see him as the sort of player you build a midfield around as we should have done with Cairney. To waste him out wide would be a great shame, coincidentally, something that Bowyer did with Cairney. Some of our best football this season has been when he has made a start, he allows us to play through the midfield instead of missing it out. Against Sheff UTD we were constantly going long to Graham, we looked far too predictable, lost the midfield battle and ultimately lost the game. Against Bolton first half and at times against WBA we looked far more dangerous when our defenders could pick their heads up and find Rothwell and Palmer, rather than just putting their foot through it. It makes us look better than just another championship side but one capable of actually doing something in this league. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, philipl said:

Thought he looked more focused hen he came on yesterday. Probably disappointed not to be starting with Evans suspended.

He is for me not a central midfielder in a 2, barring in circumstances such as yesterday. His running with the ball is both exciting and risky in equal measures, and he will do more damage to opponents if played as part of the 3 in front of our 2 central players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He is for me not a central midfielder in a 2, barring in circumstances such as yesterday. His running with the ball is both exciting and risky in equal measures, and he will do more damage to opponents if played as part of the 3 in front of our 2 central players.

In that case I would have the two of, Reed with either Evans or Smallwood. With the three made up of Rothwell, Dack, Armstrong

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • Backroom
11 minutes ago, skous18 said:

Is he on a 3 years contract? Does anyone see him becoming a regular under Mowbray? I am afraid he might leave in the summer ?

I think Rothwell, Brereton, and Armstrong will all become regulars over the course of the season.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, skous18 said:

Should have came in instead of Conway today.

I can see him go in the summer, hopefully he will stay thou and he will be given a chance

You couldn't blame the lad if he wanted to move it must disheartening for him to see Conway come on and plod around ahead of him.

• Like 1

It was a typical Mowbray change for me. Far too often he moves several players around to accommodate his change when a like for like will do. And he does seem to have an obsession with getting Conway some game time. It's a situation I think were the fans know better than Mowbray because Conway just isn't good enough.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It was a typical Mowbray change for me. Far too often he moves several players around to accommodate his change when a like for like will do. And he does seem to have an obsession with getting Conway some game time. It's a situation I think were the fans know better than Mowbray because Conway just isn't good enough.

In my player ratings for today's game (which incidentally I didn't bother posting) I had Conway down as:

0 - Did he even touch the ball?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Husky said:

In my player ratings for today's game (which incidentally I didn't bother posting) I had Conway down as:

0 - Did he even touch the ball?

His main contribution was that he stupidly gave the free kick away which led to their equaliser. Having said that Bennett was guilty of conceding silly free kicks when the opponent was going nowhere.

• Like 1

Criminal he didn't come on yesterday. In what I'm sure could be his best position on the park. Few defensive responsibilities. Brentford still chasing an equaliser. His pace and ability and the opportunity to play centrally was perfect for yesterday. I genuinely think that sub could be the final nail in the coffin for him mentally when it comes to his rovers career. Very much expect him to move on in the summer now and be a huge success elsewhere 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Criminal he didn't come on yesterday. In what I'm sure could be his best position on the park. Few defensive responsibilities. Brentford still chasing an equaliser. His pace and ability and the opportunity to play centrally was perfect for yesterday. I genuinely think that sub could be the final nail in the coffin for him mentally when it comes to his rovers career. Very much expect him to move on in the summer now and be a huge success elsewhere 

I agree, it feels like the final nail in the coffin to me too. He had impressed lately again off the bench and it was a perfect opportunity. If TM doesn't trust him after recent cameos I just don't feel he ever will. Which is strange because he pursued him for 6 months.

Rothwell has limitations, sure, but he has deserved a lot more game time than he has had. Tony needs to start replacing the old guard quicker. Conway has shown that his excellent showing at Sheff Weds was a fluke and he needs to be no more than emergency cover, then let go in the summer. No sense holding others back for his sake.

• Like 1

Rothwell is a strange one. Hes definitely got something, hes always positive, hes direct and hes quick. He could argue that he hasnt been given enough game, but then again I dont recall any goals or assists from him. Hes come close with a few good shots, he hit the bar v Reading, the post v Ipswich and had a good shot tipped over Millwall, but I cant remember much else. He does get people off the edge of their seat.

Any repreive in terms of Palmer going back potentially opening a passage to the first team may be temporary until Chapman is fit. 

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Rothwell is a strange one. Hes definitely got something, hes always positive, hes direct and hes quick. He could argue that he hasnt been given enough game, but then again I dont recall any goals or assists from him. Hes come close with a few good shots, he hit the bar v Reading, the post v Ipswich and had a good shot tipped over Millwall, but I cant remember much else. He does get people off the edge of their seat.

Any repreive in terms of Palmer going back potentially opening a passage to the first team may be temporary until Chapman is fit. 

My personal opinion is if we saw him centrally pushing right up with a central striker as Dack does we would have seen more in terms of goals/assists. Opportunity hasn't been given though largely down to the good form of Dack.

I have the feeling if Palmer was still here he still would have brought Conway on. It was 55 mins, we were under the cosh a little. Mowbray square pegged it trying to shoehorn a little game management in the form of Conway when there was an outlet on the bench in the form of Rothwell. A very negative, ineffective and ultimately costly decision. 

If he wasn't used this weekend I fail to see when he will ever be used, we only play Ipswich at home once a season Tony.

Drop the old guard, their race is run. Big summer clear out needed which includes Bennett and Conway.

4 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

If he wasn't used this weekend I fail to see when he will ever be used, we only play Ipswich at home once a season Tony.

Drop the old guard, their race is run. Big summer clear out needed which includes Bennett and Conway.

Conway yes, but to suggest getting rid of Bennett is nonsense. He's still a very useful squad member who has been one of the best players in the team for most of the season.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Conway yes, but to suggest getting rid of Bennett is nonsense. He's still a very useful squad member who has been one of the best players in the team for most of the season.

Disagree personally. Nyambe's a better right back than him and he doesn't contribute enough on the wing. 

Wouldn't be too annoyed if we kept him as a back up/bench player, but he shouldn't get into an XI who are supposed to be pushing the playoffs next season.