BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Club Revenue Generators

41 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I think there's definitely a certain appeal of having a few (or even many) local sponsors, because it brings revenue to Blackburn through advertising them nationally.

Ainsworth's being a small business might chime better with the regional fanbase too, especially with community relations with the club being ripped to shreds since 2010.

I quite like the idea because the club's own MOTM award is only really heard in the ground. Why promote a national brand locally?

Probably and that explains a lot of what's wrong with the fanbase. If you have some local sponsors then they could be presented differently barring more notable exceptions like Euro Garages if they changed their outlook on football sponsorship. There's no logic in your argument. It's like the pinned thread on here where there's references to "rather have local sponsors than some American razor company" that's the kind of parochial mentality people won't understand. It's just local mentality for the sake of local mentality and seems almost designed to hold the club back for small minded reasons. Like I say in the Championship you're hardly likely to get global sponsors (though it's certainly more prominent than 2nd tiers in virtually any other country) but in the PL this attitude is (and was) nonsensical. People mocked Singh's title and yes some of that was because he was incompetent and his "advising" seemed to consist of long distance phone/skype calls. Some of it however was simply an aversion to the word global or do you think I'm being paranoid? I don't think it's just paranoia at all I truly believe some people simply disliked his job title.

It's the same thing with people talking about local Ewood business, etc. Even with the windfall 23 times a year in the Championship local newsagents at Ewood (for example) still have that advantage over other areas of the town. Unless they expanded to nonsensical proportions based on 19x EPL games a year then there's no reason a drop in income should threaten their whole operation. How many people have gone out of business (excluding job cuts at the club itself which is different anyway) due to Rovers dropping from the top flight? Can you name any examples? Make an exception on public houses anyone entering that industry should see the red flags a mile away. Businesses like hairdressers, etc have minimal startup costs anyway. Does matchday revenue really make that much of a difference to them? Why would more people specifically decide to get their hair cut before attending a football match than any other time? Also they would be more likely to use barbers closest to their homes in the majority of cases anyway. With Ewood residents it won't make a difference. Then you could look at niche businesses such as flower stores, etc but football fans don't exactly queue round the block to buy stuff like that do they?

Edited by Vinjay17

Has no one thought to get some of Venky's connections in the business world to sponsor/advertise at Ewood?

Although the 'Venky's' logo is toxic, no one really caress who is putting money into the club

48 minutes ago, barry_ said:

Has no one thought to get some of Venky's connections in the business world to sponsor/advertise at Ewood?

Although the 'Venky's' logo is toxic, no one really caress who is putting money into the club

You mean generating more income from Indian sponsorship (primarily) and exposure of Rovers within India which was promised? No haven't thought about it at all. ?. Relegation isn't the only excuse they were already defaulting on their promises including the Academy they were supposed to build. Certainly people knew Venkys wanted exposure for their core brand as well but you can have multiple mutual interests. Of course it certainly stopped their expansion here becoming known as a symbol for idiocy. They had intentions no doubt (genuine ones in this instance) having registered Venkys Xprs UK but according to Companies House that was "dissolved" (basically it was a registration and nothing else) some time ago. 

Edited by Vinjay17
  • Like 1

When looking at potential properties to sponsor, brands have to consider a huge number of variables. Does the club mirror the brands own values, does it have an active user base that is predisposed  to purchasing the product, is the club active in its local community with strong ties etc etc . With the way the club has been run since the Venkys purchased the club, do you honestly expect us to be attracting multi-national top tier brands ?

Before we can hope to attract the calibre of company you'd like to see, we have to first fix the running of the club. 

I'd start by doing more deals like the ainsworths one and use those companies to help foster a closer relationship between club and local community.  There may be 1 or 2 companies who have a local presence but are global in nature and have a playbook for investing in the local communities of which they are a part of - e.g. McDonald's. Not sure if they still do anything with the club, but McD's used to provide kits for the local football in the community schemes, sponsored prizes for homework clubs, provided sports kit for local schools etc

Big brands want to be associated with success. I guess local is the way to go but you don’t generate much revenue from each.

We need to start being more imaginative and, in particular, grow the fanbase and potential audience for sponsors to advertise to.

We have quite a few national and multinational partners. I won’t name them all but most are booze and gambling related but there are a small amount of tools manufacturers etc. A lot of the big clubs have the Chinese connections and tire manufacturers some I’d never heard of. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888

Apologies if its already been posted. Comparing revenue from the 2016-17 season of all the English league clubs.

May not surprise you to hear that we had the second highest wage overspend in English football (147% of turnover) marginally behind Bolton.

Also you look at our turnover in 2016/17 compared to all the other championship clubs and we really are bottom of the food chain even back before a relegation.

Would be interesting to see the same figures for the current season. Surely we've slashed our wage budget.

1 hour ago, Drover said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888

Apologies if its already been posted. Comparing revenue from the 2016-17 season of all the English league clubs.

May not surprise you to hear that we had the second highest wage overspend in English football (147% of turnover) marginally behind Bolton.

Also you look at our turnover in 2016/17 compared to all the other championship clubs and we really are bottom of the food chain even back before a relegation.

Would be interesting to see the same figures for the current season. Surely we've slashed our wage budget.

I draw your attention to the Twitter thread SwissRamble recently posted summarising all the 16-17 Championship financial results, covering in more detail what that BBC article touches on: https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1026375049580826624 Always a good source!

FYI, he recently did similar for League One's 16-17 season too: https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1026738429260906496, where I'd guess our accounts for 17-18 will look similar to the likes of Millwall, Sheffield United, and Bolton (minus the latter's major loan write-off of course).

Edited by RoverCanada

The major wage drain on paper rarely seems to alter and seems to suit them that way.

Off paper didn't TM say last years football budget was about 8.5 mill all in ?

I know we are probably still paying a few off but i'll always feel there's a little bit more at play here, paper loses and tax on parent company profits maybe playing a small part.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/16860665.blackburn-rovers-sign-sponsor-deal-with-totally-wicked/?ref=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Waggott is certainly happy to take money from anyone. Vaping in football grounds is banned but fans should still be encouraged to take up the habit.

A35C05BD-1A01-4A9A-806E-B288FB94072B.jpeg

9 minutes ago, donnermeat said:

Vampire Vape AND Totally Wicked? 

Local businesses sponsoring the club can only be a good thing though.

Agree, the demographics of a game are so wide, any product/business sponsor is going to be unfavourable to parts of the crowd.

• 1 year later...
44 minutes ago, Bad Boy said:

That is an excellent initiative Stuart and well done to the Trust.   Hope you support this?

Think I’m booked in for my blue rinse on that day. Good luck and don’t forget your dabber.

Just now, Bad Boy said:

Why are you so negative- chill.

ps. What is a ‘dabber’?  

Why are you so sensitive - chill.

If you had any interest in bingo you’d know exactly what a dabber was. Guess you won’t be supporting the event either then?

2 hours ago, Bad Boy said:

That is an excellent initiative Stuart and well done to the Trust.   Hope you support this?

"Excellent initiative" christ. Do you get this excited when gala bingo put on an offer, shit a brick. There will be little take up thats for sure, not sure of your motive here, youve all of a sudden jumped on every thread with pro-excitment, its strange to say the least. Your preston connection probably confirms your motive, but thanks for trying.

Edited by AAK
  • Like 1