BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jacob Davenport

• Backroom

My record is officially better than Nixon’s.

Would have been unsure on a loan but a permanent deal is more exciting. 

City fans speak highly of him. 

“I’ve come from Manchester City, where I’ve been since I was six," he added.

"I actually had trials at Rovers when I was younger, so the club has always had a place in my heart."

Didn't know Rovers gave trials to 5 year olds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Garage Flower said:

4 years is quite the deal as well gotta be said. Hopefully he turns out to be a good one. He’s only 19 so some sections of our fan base would do well to bare that in mind.

Once the deals been confirmed as permanent the player has been well received. 

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16331825.jacob-davenport-got-guaranteed-a-rovers-starting-spot-says-boss/?ref=mac

"Of Davenport, the Ewood boss added: “He’s got to compete with Smallwood, who was one of our better players last year; against Evans, who’s an international player; and against Travis, who we think extremely highly of."

Ooo, the plot thickens as to Travis' natural position.

Just now, RoverCanada said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16331825.jacob-davenport-got-guaranteed-a-rovers-starting-spot-says-boss/?ref=mac

"Of Davenport, the Ewood boss added: “He’s got to compete with Smallwood, who was one of our better players last year; against Evans, who’s an international player; and against Travis, who we think extremely highly of."

This also confirms he does not see Bennett as a CM, Tomlinson does not really feature in his plans and that Rothwell is going to be used in more advanced positions. Lenihan and Mulgrew being pushed forward can also be put to bed now.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

Just now, RoverCanada said:

No mention of Whittingham....

My post was a bit tongue-in-cheek (that Travis has come up in the system as a RB who caught Mowbray's eye when deputising as a CM doesn't strike me as all that controversial!), but he does go on to mention Whittingham and Rothwell in the next couple sentences:

"People will have to compete with Jacob for a place in the team, and the competition is going to be fierce. Corry, Richie, Lewis, Peter, they all have to compete.

"Rothwell can play centrally too. We want as many good players as we can get at this club."

I imagine if he was talking about our midfield options in-depth, he'd have gone on to mention Bennett can serve as a backup option, Tomlinson will be given a chance to impress in camp (although he's clearly the first candidate for a loan), hell, he might even mention Gladwin haha (who I imagine they're looking to offload if the opportunity arises), etc.

(I've always found it a bit odd how literally some  take manager quotes, although I do understand the interest in gleaning some insight from them for debate of course!)

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Such options in the middle. Imagine we had that quality under Bowyer instead of Lowe and Williamson 

We did, he got played on the right wing and is now being linked with moves for £20 Million.....

4 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

We did, he got played on the right wing and is now being linked with moves for £20 Million.....

As I said above though, he plays more in Dacks role as opposed to one of the 2 in our 4-2-3-1. Bowyer played 4-4-2 if I remember correctly, so would need to have changed that to fit Cairney in. Which he should have done. We could have had.. I embarrassingly forget some of our players from that time, so excuse me if the below is inaccurate 

Robinson

Spurr- Hanley-Duffy-Ollsson

Lowe- Williamson

Conway  -Cairney-     King

Rhodes

Subs

Dunn

Gestede

Evans

If only we had someone like Smallwood in there and Evans was fit that season. 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

As I said above though, he plays more in Dacks role as opposed to one of the 2 in our 4-2-3-1. Bowyer played 4-4-2 if I remember correctly, so would need to have changed that to fit Cairney in. Which he should have done. We could have had.. I embarrassingly forget some of our players from that time, so excuse me if the below is inaccurate 

Robinson

Spurr- Hanley-Duffy-Ollsson

Lowe- Williamson

Conway  -Cairney-     King

Rhodes

Subs

Dunn

Gestede

Evans

If only we had someone like Smallwood in there and Evans was fit that season. 

Think I've posted something similar before, but the spell when we looked really dangerous under Bowyer is when we had all three of Rhodes, Gestede & King in the side when Ben Marshall (probably considered our best winger at the time) was injured and we were forced to go for it because we needed wins to get in the play offs.

So a team of roughly

Robinson

Henley    Hanley     Duffy/Kilgallon    Spurr

King     Cairney    Lowe/Evans     Conway

Rhodes      Gestede

There were several away games when we looked lethal with this sort of line up, and King was unplayable. When Marshall was back the season after, the handbrake was put back on and King was on the bench. Would've been interesting to have seen how things would've panned out if we stuck to that set up imo. At the very least we might've kept King happy. 

Spotted 47ers link in the Transfer Links Only Thread:

http://sportslens.com/incredible-great-signing-fans-astonished-as-blackburn-sign-manchester-city-midfielder-davenport/237426/

Excuse my ignorance, but even though we have him under contract, they are still allowed to take him back, presumably at a knock down price?

Is this a popular type of deal?

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Spotted 47ers link in the Transfer Links Only Thread:

http://sportslens.com/incredible-great-signing-fans-astonished-as-blackburn-sign-manchester-city-midfielder-davenport/237426/

Excuse my ignorance, but even though we have him under contract, they are still allowed to take him back, presumably at a knock down price?

Is this a popular type of deal?

Think there was something similar in Rochina's contract from Barcelona. Wouldn't be too concerned about it, if he plays well enough that City want him back then we'll have already have our moneys worth!

• Like 2