BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jacob Davenport

I saw him pre season against Accy Stanley and again in an under 23 game. He is nice and tidy and I wouldn't place too much emphasis on either game, but I'm not sure if he is going to be the world beater that some are hoping for. 

I absolutely stand to be corrected and feverishly hope I'm wrong but I would liken him more to Cory Evans than Bobby Charlton.

• Like 2

Just now, Colt Seavers said:

I saw him pre season against Accy Stanley and again in an under 23 game. He is nice and tidy and I wouldn't place too much emphasis on either game, but I'm not sure if he is going to be the world beater that some are hoping for. 

I absolutely stand to be corrected and feverishly hope I'm wrong but I would liken him more to Cory Evans than Bobby Charlton.

To be fair, Corry Evans but with a better range of passing could prove to be a very useful player imo. Excited about the what a future pairing with Travis could look like in a couple of years. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

To be fair, Corry Evans but with a better range of passing could prove to be a very useful player imo. Excited about the what a future pairing with Travis could look like in a couple of years. 

if we can keep them all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

I'd say that's a fair summation.

I saw him at port vale and for the u23s and that's pretty much how I saw him. Although he was coming back from injury in the u23s and it was his debut against port vale in a meaningless friendly.  I saw him play for city u23s and he was very neat and tidy. Does the simple things well. Bit like Cory Evans when he had that good game once.

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 3

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 13:17, Colt Seavers said:

That's exactly how Mogga described him when he signed - keeps it simple, gets a foot in and has a good range of passing. 

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 13:17, Colt Seavers said:

Thank God for that, he's a bit young to be having a " comb over ".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Thought he was really good today, closed down quickly, good range of passing and one cracking shot. Always looked like he had time on the ball. 

Agreed, on the back of one game he's a very real option next year.

He grew into the game for me. Looked a little slow, sluggish in the first half. Probably wasnt expecting to come on so early.

Second half i thought he was excellent, if allowed games together him and Travis could develop into a real partnership.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

He grew into the game for me. Looked a little slow, sluggish in the first half. Probably wasnt expecting to come on so early.

Second half i thought he was excellent, if allowed games together him and Travis could develop into a real partnership.

It definitely took Trav moving back into midfield to get the best out of him though.

I thought he did well after a slow, unexpected introduction at a time when the tide changed in the game. Once we got our shape back, he was really good.

Showed for the ball, showed a good range of passing, showed good ball retention & close ball control in tight spots, and great technique for that half volley. Very promising debut, really pleased for the lad as I bet he's been really frustrated since he signed.

Really hope he can kick on now and be a big part of what we aim for next season. Far too early to say if he'll be a good signing but I can certainly understand what qualities TM saw in him.

• Like 2

• Backroom
8 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Exactly because until then he had as a midfield partner the useless Evans. We really need to get shut of the bloke. 

From recollection there was barely any interest in him even when we were relegated, can't imagine that will have changed based on this season and with his new contract in play. Unfortunately I think we'll be seeing Evans at the club for some time to come.

Thought Davenport looked very tidy.

He’s probably the only midfielder at the club with actual technical ability.

Echo the previous comments - he looks the type of midfielder who will drop back a few yards to show for the ball and retain it with short neat passing, equally as comfortable pinging a 50 yard ball to the winger/striker.

These types can be invaluable. Look at Norwood for Sheff U this season. The team got forward as they knew he’d always pick somebody out & he’s always available as an option to give it to to retain the ball and reset the play when they’re under pressure. He’s one of their key cogs, without him I don’t think their system would’ve worked anywhere near as well as it did.

Davenport wasn’t just a pretty ball player though, thought he had a bit of midfield terrier in him, pressed well and wasn’t scared of getting stuck in.

Hard to tell after seeing him just once, he could end up having the same impact as Whittingham. Hopefully that’s not the case. Can we pretend he’s a new signing to make the next month or so less painful?

• Like 3