BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Riverside Stand

• Backroom

I think it was something he’d like to do if practical

I recall him saying something along the lines of it was with the council and propositions had been made with a hotel etc to generate revenue.

Think if plans got the go ahead they would look further into how realistic it is and if they could get outside companies on board.

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

While we are on the subject of stadia how far are we behind the States with design in this Country?......the stunning Indianapolis Colts Lucas oil Stadium.

Have you seen Spurs' new ground?! Looks truly sensational. 

5 hours ago, damo100 said:

Steve Waggot mention a few weeks back that the Riverside Stand is to be modernised!

Any one got any updates regards this?

This is the minute from the Fans Forum meeting last Monday on the Riverside: -

TS asked whether there were any plans to close the Riverside stand for games after the pre-season games. LT replied that there were no plans to do so but there may be games where it would make commercial sense. MC stated that the club accepted that the stand needed modernising but there were no plans in the short term. In the long term the club would like to redevelop the stand but at this stage these were just conversations rather than definite plans. There was however absolutely no intention to close the Riverside stand other than for any future possible redevelopment.

Just now, only2garners said:

This is the minute from the Fans Forum meeting last Monday on the Riverside: -

TS asked whether there were any plans to close the Riverside stand for games after the pre-season games. LT replied that there were no plans to do so but there may be games where it would make commercial sense. MC stated that the club accepted that the stand needed modernising but there were no plans in the short term. In the long term the club would like to redevelop the stand but at this stage these were just conversations rather than definite plans. There was however absolutely no intention to close the Riverside stand other than for any future possible redevelopment.

So Lyndsey Talbot says no plans but it might close if it makes commercial sense to do so. Cheston says that there is no intention to close it other than for redevelopment purposes.

Just think if 5% of our debt under Venkys had gone into Ewood Park instead of agents and players pockets. We could have a redeveloped Riverside and desso pitch by now.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

So Lyndsey Talbot says no plans but it might close if it makes commercial sense to do so. Cheston says that there is no intention to close it other than for redevelopment purposes.

Just think if 5% of our debt under Venkys had gone into Ewood Park instead of agents and players pockets. We could have a redeveloped Riverside and desso pitch by now.

You've missed a key word out there. Lynsey said that there might be games when they would close the Riverside. What she meant there was say a Carabao Cup game on a Tuesday night against a League 2 team. I doubt anyone would be surprised if the Riverside was shut in that circumstance.

• 5 months later...
9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Heard a rumour yesterday from a decent source that there are plans for it to be knocked down and replaced.

Though no bigger capacity wise. 

Interesting. I've said before it needs doing soon if the plan is to ever get promoted or even survive in this division. There were also rumours that structurally it would need doing soon as the riverbank isn't stable, not sure how true that is. 

I just hope if it is done it is done to a decent standard and improves the ground. It needs to be nearer the pitch and designed so that it is in keeping with the other 3 stands, not done on the cheap or much smaller.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ewoody said:

Something like PNE stand would look good, albeit with 4-5 thousand seats similar to riverside.

deepdale-invincibles.jpg

Spot on that would be although i'd rather see investment in the team but if they brought in outside sponsors to help pay for it or our billionaire owners could plonk a lump in out of their own pockets that didn't impact FFP or the playing budget fair enough.

Think Waggot will be pushing for this he's the first CEO I've heard go on about it for over a decade but got to be careful of the real motives. Does he have an real idea that will help income or is it a contracts for pals type thing ?

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he probably has some decent ideas for it although another trek to league one would render it pointless as would selling players to pay for it !

2 hours ago, ewoody said:

Something like PNE stand would look good, albeit with 4-5 thousand seats similar to riverside.

deepdale-invincibles.jpg

Yeah, a 4000-5000 capacity stand, single tier as it is now, all seats covered, with internal space which can be used to generate non matchday income, remove the old floodlights and jumbo screen and incorporate into the design.

In the scheme of things we've more urgent issues to worry about but if the club wishes to grow, progress or develop it needs doing sooner rather than later. In an era of Ffp, especially for a club with lower end crowds, we need to make every penny possible on non matchday. Office space, conference venue, hotel etc. It's one of the worst stands in the Championship these days, rivals have built new modern facilities.

Whilst I totally agree that the Riverside is awful, I'm finding it hard to believe that there is talk of replacing it! It could be shut down completely, and a sensible pricing policy put in place, so that all could be re-housed elsewhere. And before any Riversider's shout at me, my seat in the BE upper was taken away without consultation. At the present time, would it not be better having the whole of the BE open, busy JW stand, and half a DE for home supporters? We can't fill half of the ground as it is! Money would be better spent on the squad (if this is in the offing).....surely?

Redevelopment of the Riverside would be the single best thing Venkys would have done for this club to date.

I won’t hold my breath.

Interesting that this news is leak just when Mowbray is under the most pressure though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Redevelopment of the Riverside would be the single best thing Venkys would have done for this club to date.

I won’t hold my breath.

Interesting that this news is leak just when Mowbray is under the most pressure though.

Stuart, I don't understand why? We have average crowds of less than 15,000, the capacity of the ground is 24,000 without the RS, so why spend money we need elsewhere? Wingers, LB's, CB's, another striker........the new Loon stand makes no sense to me unless they get us back to where we came from?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Whilst I totally agree that the Riverside is awful, I'm finding it hard to believe that there is talk of replacing it! It could be shut down completely, and a sensible pricing policy put in place, so that all could be re-housed elsewhere. And before any Riversider's shout at me, my seat in the BE upper was taken away without consultation. At the present time, would it not be better having the whole of the BE open, busy JW stand, and half a DE for home supporters? We can't fill half of the ground as it is! Money would be better spent on the squad (if this is in the offing).....surely?

Money spent on the squad comes into FFP calculations, so there is a limit as to how much can be done, especially having splurged a fortune on Armstrong and Brereton. Money spent on facilities does not come into FFP calculations, so there is nothing stopping the owners investing into that to whatever level they might wish. 

Investing into facilities is a much safer long term thing than investing into players. The club/stadium would be worth more with a new Riverside than without and might also help the club develop revenues. If there was a hotel/conference centre etc. run properly and making a profit of a few hundred grand a year then over say 10 years it would probably pay for itself.

I do think this is something Waggott is keen on. He mentioned it a while ago at the forum and whilst he didn't go into much detail it was obvious he had been thinking about it. Can't imagine Venkys pushing the idea although if it can be argued that it will reduce reliance on them in the long run it might be the sort of thing they approve.

• Like 2

Just now, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Stuart, I don't understand why? We have average crowds of less than 15,000, the capacity of the ground is 24,000 without the RS, so why spend money we need elsewhere? Wingers, LB's, CB's, another striker........the new Loon stand makes no sense to me unless they get us back to where we came from?

I agree, something needs to be done to get fans back - although “promotion not promotions” is probably scrawled on a post-it on Waggott’s desk.

But you can’t have a credible football ground that isn’t surrounded on all four sides by stands. On that basis, the Riverside is a shithole - and a crap view with those pillars. I know I had a ST there for years. I definitely needs redevelopment - probably before it falls down.

Any development of the ground has to be factored into player recruitment plans, it can’t be one or the other.

• Like 1

Just now, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Sheffield Utd's ground holds 32,000, they rarely fill it, yet their owner has released plans for expansion up to 38,000. Brentford don't fill Griffin Park but because it is run down and not up to standard they are building a new stadium. Preston built their new stand when they only get 10,000 on games.

If you are serious about getting to the Prem you don't wait until getting there before work begins on the stadium, you do it in advance. If by some miracle we got to the Premier League and then decided to start work we would likely have a 3 sided ground and reduced capacity stadium for at least 12 months, better doing it whilst crowds are lower and the work can be done as easily as possible.

Can't imagine much happening on this front mind.

• Like 1