BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Podcast Contributions Sought - your first (or favourite) Rovers memory

*BUMPED* Please see end of thread for latest update...

I’ve had some interest expressed in having a regular recurring item  in podcasts of fans talking about their first Rovers memory....when, where, who, what happened, how did you feel etc. (I’d also consider Fave Rovers memory...especially if it avoided the obvious 1995...! )

I’ve got one in the can already and I’d love to have some more...anybody fancy contributing ? 

Help writing &/or recording it is available as required....

Anyone ? ?

• Like 1

My first rovers memory in fact the first time I ever saw the famous blue and white and heard of a team called Blackburn rovers was seeing shearer score two screamers on his debut against palace. A love affair started that very second

• Like 2

I wish one of the old timers who has all the facts and figures would do a Pod of Rovers in the '60's, say up to our relegation from the First Division with a focus say on my first ever live match at Ewood, Rovers 7 Spurs 2  and the players in that superb team.

Sadly I don't have facilities out here to do it justice but one or 2 posters on here are better qualified anyway! :rover:, come on you know who you are :)

40 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I wish one of the old timers who has all the facts and figures would do a Pod of Rovers in the '60's, say up to our relegation from the First Division with a focus say on my first ever live match at Ewood, Rovers 7 Spurs 2  and the players in that superb team.

Sadly I don't have facilities out here to do it justice but one or 2 posters on here are better qualified anyway! :rover:, come on you know who you are :)

All you need is a laptop/smartphone/tablet; a Skype account & some spare time....I’ll gladly provide hints & tips ?

First memories - the smell of pipe smoke and piss and little Johnny Price looking resplendent in his Rovers kit against a gloomy Ewood Park backdrop - that would have been one of Ken Furphy's first games in charge. 

Favourite memory - The unveiling of King Kenny. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing.

One of the few times I've cried at a football game that day (the others being Wembley 1987 and 1992, VE Day game v Newcastle at Ewood just after Noel Brotherston and Micky Heaton had died and shortly afterwards at Anfield - both in 1995, Cardiff 2002 and Ewood Park v Norwich (I think) when that poem to mark Uncle Jack's recent passing was put up on the big screen).

• Like 1

My first memory as a Rovers fan was a home game to Southampton my dad took me on. Around about 2002 so I was about six years old. I think Jansen or Yordi scored and we won. I was in the JW upper and my dad picked me up when we scored.       Favourite memory is tough, I might go for David Bentley scoring a hat trick against United at home, what a game that was. The most I've ever celebrated a Rovers goal at Ewood though has to be Dunny's last minute equaliser against Burnley. Bodies everywhere. Amazing. One of my favourite away days was Jason Roberts' last minute winner away at Bolton after he picked the ball up on the half way line, unbelievable scenes. It was a Sunday game on sky so wasn't many of us there but the atmosphere after that goal went in has always stayed with me. Du du du du Jason Roberts. Big donkey. 

Edited by Butty

Apart from the obvious titles, cup wins etc. , for me the UEFA Cup run of 2006/07, in particulary the away trips are right up there.

I went to all four; Salzburg, Wisla Krakow, Feyenoord, Bayer Leverkusen. Brilliant trips with fantastic followings - especially the thousands of Blues roaming around Amsterdam! I could have burst I was so proud.

Year after a few pals went to the game Larissa in Athens and I couldn't make it, I remember saying 'I'll defo be at the next one', we got knocked out and never played in Europe again...

Edited by Mattyblue

Just to say thanks to everyone who has replied & those who fancy writing & recording a contribution...just let me know if you need any help re scriptwriting &/or recording...

My original plan was to have 1 memory per podcast but if everyone who has said they’ll do one actually does, we might have 2or 3 per episode or even a dedicated podcast specifically.

Fingers crossed...??

• Herbie6590 unpinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

I’m giving this topic a bump...when I put out the original appeal back in 2018 I did have a number of DMs expressing interest but for whatever reason, only a few came to pass & resulted in actual podcast items so I thought I’d put out the appeal again.

Those who listen to the pod regularly will have heard pieces written (& in some cases narrated) by individuals who have a particular fond memory or topic they would like to share. If you haven’t listened to the pod, please give it a try. I’m really proud of our contributors, we cover different demographics and have different takes on the club as a result.

if you’ve never written anything...there’s a first time for everything, if you fancy narrating that’s great, if you don’t we can sort that for you.

So over to you...be great to add to our pool of contributors & share some new tales of being a Rovers fan...

My first memory of Rovers was my dad taking me in the upper tier of the Riverside stand to watch us play Carlisle, 1971 I think. I can still remember the smell of the flask of large milky coffee with a generous amount of rum in it. I was hooked from that point on. 

Now this season we are back in the Riverside and the flask still accompanies us!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

My first memory of Rovers was my dad taking me in the upper tier of the Riverside stand to watch us play Carlisle, 1971 I think. I can still remember the smell of the flask of large milky coffee with a generous amount of rum in it. I was hooked from that point on. 

Now this season we are back in the Riverside and the flask still accompanies us!  

Fancy writing / recording something for the pod ? ? 

That’s one of my earliest memories too - outer wings of Riverside on the bench seats...

46 minutes ago, Pedro said:

That red hot day at Wembley in 92. I've never felt so nervous and overjoyed.  Waving flags and middle fingers at the Leicester fans who were on their coaches. 

Yellows! Yellows! Yellows!

Write a piece...write a piece...write a piece ...write a piece *pause for breath* write a piece...write a piece...?

1 hour ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

First memory - sitting on a bench over the Riverside wall watching us lose 2-0 to West Brom (1963/64). I was hooked from then on.

Favourite memory - Coming back from 2-0 down to beat Plymouth at home (15th Feb 1975) 

Agree with the Plymouth game, I too have a similar memory. I used to take a collapseable canvas stool which I would place at the front of the Riverside stand which I would stand on, so I could see over the wall, at around the same time whereby previously we'd sit on the wall, as a bobby would saunter along pitchside and tell you to get off the wall. So there I am stood on this canvas stool when our third goal went in, the ground erupted, I jumped up and down on my stool, with the canvass giving way resulting in me ending up in a heap at base of the Riverside wall! 

First memory - Sat on Mum's shoulders at the bottom of the old Nuttall St stand, watching us at some point in the early to mid-80s. The shirt was shiny and it was very exciting.

Favourite memory - Rushing home after my first term away at university, several hours on a train from Swansea just in time to get to Burnley for the 2-0 win, the first derby for 17 years.

Edited by Riverside under the drip