BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ipswich away match thread

OK this is the kiss of death.

We lost every match I did a preview for last season.

I have never seen us win at Portman Road- I won't be going so be thankful for small mercies.

I am not going to pick Mowbray's staring 11 or bench of18 for him but it looks like it will be pretty identical to last season, give a Palmer, take an Armstrong.

Our last few trips to Portman Road have been pretty bleak (Ipswich first)

16/7  3-2

15/6  2-0

14/5  3-2

13/4  2-0

12/3  1-1

11/2  3-1

01/2  1-1

So not a happy hunting ground.

Still, if I were Ipswich, I wouldn't be wanting to open the campaign against a team promoted as impressively as Rovers were. Betting odds are marginally making an Ipswich win favourites which I think is fair but all three outcomes are pretty evenly backed.

Ipswich start their 17th Championship on the trot having parted company with 12 players (only Ben Knight to Man City for £700K for any cash) and brought only 5 in including Harrison from Bristol Rovers and Donacien from Accy Stanley. Which rather suggests they might struggle this season so this is a fixture we really should not be losing.

A good opening test for Rovers and here's hoping the momentum from last season carries us on to a win.

• Like 3

Cheers philipl.

The bookies have Ipswich as relegation material so what better way to start the campaign than three points here providing we have our own house in order. A draw at minimum confident that last season's guys can do these.

• Like 1

Logic points to a draw, but I think we can start off here with a win, would be our first on the opening day since those idiots rocked up.

Can only remember one win down there in my time following Rovers, which was back when we won the league in 94-95.

• Like 1

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Smallwood Evans

Bennett Dack Palmer

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Williams, Travis, Whittingham, Conway, Rothwell, Samuel

Would start Palmer and then when he tires we can bring on Samuel or Conway dependant on the way the game is going. Would play Bell as whoever plays down the left they will come inside so he can give us an overlap.

A game we shouldnt lose, hopefully get a win and start off a winnable run of opening games intending to keep the momentum from last year.

• Backroom

Worth noting that all of our defeats to Ipswich in the past few years were when they were under Mick McCarthy's management. Hurst will be desperate to get off to a good start, especially considering what happened last season, but I think he'll struggle there.

First day of the season is always difficult to call. Would take a draw from this one and happily move on. We can definitely win here, though, if we're set up to do so. 

• Like 3

• J*B pinned this topic

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Smallwood Evans

Samuel          Dack          Bennett

Graham

Subs;- Fisher Downing Travis Nuttall Conway Davenport Palmer

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

Going for a win here. Teams will not park the bus against us in this division and feel we have the ability to strike well on counterattacks against this lot. Still think we need some pace in the team and more striking/winger options but guess this wont be happening in time for this match now.

Dack and Palmer to add the creativity in a 0-2 win.

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Raya

Smallwood Evans

Graham

Subs;- Fisher Downing Travis Nuttall Conway Davenport Rothwell

No Palmer anywhere? Also, isnt Davenport injured?

Raya

Nyambe      Lenihan             Mulgrew        Bell

Smallwood        Travis

Bennett                       Dack                Palmer

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Downing, Williams, Evans, Rothwell, Conway, Samuel 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Raya

Smallwood Evans

Graham

Subs;- Fisher Downing Travis Nuttall Conway Davenport Palmer

The team you want or the team you expect?

Davenport is injured and palmer has been deemed not fit enough to start and play for 90 mins by TM. At least we will have him as a option from the bench. Hopefully he'll be starting by next weekend.

Id go for: 

Raya

Nyambe - Lenihan - Mulgrew - Bell

Smallwood - Travis

Samuel - Dack - Bennet/Conway

Graham

subs: Leuwiter, downing, Williams, Evans, Bennett/Conway, Rothwell, Palmer.

Our lack of forward options is worrying atm, about 2 short. But overall the squad is looking decent. Hoping for a win but a point would be a solid start, however that rarely happens for us on the opening day of the season. 

Edwards will be the player to watch out for them I reckon, would of liked to have him here. 

Can't see TM not picking Williams but surely Bell will be on the bench? After TM's comments maybe Palmer won't.

Travis could start ahead of Smallwood/Evans but more likely to come on from the bench. 

Getting excited as the opening of the season nears but so used to us starting badly.

Edited by 47er

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

Can't see TM not picking Williams but surely Bell will be on the bench? After TM's comments maybe Palmer won't.

Travis could start ahead of Smallwood/Evans but more likely to come on from the bench. I think Davenport will start, maybe ahead of Smallwood.

Very interested to see which Evans we get, the one who went missing for most of the season or the one who finished it so well. Has to be last chance for him with all that midfield competition.

Let's hope it brings the best out of him.

Getting excited as the opening of the season nears but so used to us starting badly.

Davenport is missing through injury mate 

I don't know what to expect, opening day in August is always a surprise bag, you can never tell what will happen.    Would hope for the win obviously.

Mixed feelings about this season.   A number of positives to take such as finally being rid of McCarthy and a new name to take on team affairs but we got him from lower league and he's untried at higher level.    Was far from the preferred names I wanted to come in when eventually announced.

Some players out the exit such as McGoldrick, Bru and Webster and the Waghorn issue refuses to go away, and we haven't really brought in I feel adequate replacements for key areas although some seem satisfied enough.    Marcus Evans is still in ownership - to that I have a feeling of regret - and what's with those horrible strips we're expected to wear this season ?    Magical Vegas FFS,  I don't know who came up with that idea but the design and choice of sponsorship was far ill-advised.

Pre season we've played well in spells but never really faced anyone worth mentioning.    Local games once again against inferior opposition where we (usually) win, but never really by any convincing margin.     The actual league season is completely different though but just feel we're not really prepared for a nine month campaign ahead.  Promotion seems very unlikely, play offs are a possibility but have to tell myself that mid-league seems best for another year.      You remember when Blackburn won the League Cup ?  I do, and that was the last time this club was in the top level of English football.    2002 may seem quite recent, other times it feels like an eternity.

Hope those coming down on Saturday enjoy the game, be advised again Portman Road is not the easiest venue to get to or indeed depart from.    It should be a good event.

• Like 4