BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ipswich away match thread

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Most-likely outcome: A narrow loss. Dodgy decisions. An injury or red card to an important player and message board meltdown this evening.

Lovely jubbly. It’s what messageboards are all about. Enjoy it. Join in. But keep it clean.

I’m sure some people want the board to be completely silent apart from some approving comments just after a signing.

21 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Lovely jubbly. It’s what messageboards are all about. Enjoy it. Join in. But keep it clean.

I’m sure some people want the board to be completely silent apart from some approving comments just after a signing.

It's a cracking board. One of my favourite wastes of time.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, not exactly Scarface said:

Well we'll be underway soon enough, just came by to wish your team well for this afternoon.   Not to say I'll be cheering on the opposition by that, but mean hope it's an entertaining game for both sets of supporters alike and today will be near the pick of all available Championship games.    Not feeling nervous, if you've supported ITFC for as long as myself you'll get used to a number of let downs and missed opportunity, can only hope there'll be a promotion chance somewhere in it.      No other club has been situated at second level league for as long as ourselves since we went down 16 years ago now.

I was giving it some thought just now how interesting it would be to have seen our best team of 1981 against the Blackburn Championship squad of the mid 1990's and who would come out on top.    Not for me to say any potential winner but by God we put together a team - that for a while - could compete with Europe's best and missed out on an incredible Treble achievement by a whisker.     Not that you can do anything about it all these years later but what a time that was, kids today won't have any idea of the magnitude of what was, and so nearly, occurred.  

Good luck in this afternoons contest.   ?

That would have been a great match. Bobby Robson was an absolute genius and built a cracking side. We were the best in England but only just. Heart says Rovers, head says Ipswich by a goal. SAS would have taken some stopping though.

In some ways, we are hoping that Mowbray is our Robson. They seem to be cut from the same cloth. Bobby just had that spark though. A twinkle in his eye. He loved the game.

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Not a single new player starting. Mowbray clearly thinks last season’s side is our first team.

Always thought he d go with the players from last season ..but im sure the new players will be gradually introduced in the first five games or so.

Remarkably strong bench.

Great to show loyalty to last season's squad but I cannot help remember that abject 0-1 surrender to Hull City in the FA Cup when we last played Championship opposition.

Here's hoping Bennet's goal against Everton has a positive effect on him.

3 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

That's because we haven't signed anyone who can justify a place yet. 

Which is exactly why I’ve not been over the moon with our signings. It’s odd to bring in players in the Championship who aren’t better than the existing L1 players and who can’t displace any of them.

But...

Bell not better than Williams?

Wasn’t Rothwell supposed to have been good in preseason?

More likely is that Mowbray is being loyal to his old guard.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Always thought he d go with the players from last season ..but im sure the new players will be gradually introduced in the first five games or so.

It’ll be interesting to see the starting line up after 10 games. Last season’s team with less than 15 points and it’s a poor transfer window.

20 points and the same side would make it a successful Summer’s recruitment because it would show that the existing players have raised their game. It’s going to be an interesting subplot.

As always the proof will be in the points column.

2 minutes ago, AdamRochina said:

A massive lack of pace that side..  And it's a side that sometimes struggled to create in league 1 .. Hope to see Palmer and rothwell on in second half at some point 

It's a hard working side but Dack aside, has little quality and zero pace.  As someone else said, many thought this team would easily hold its own in the champ.  Time to see.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Not a single new player starting. Mowbray clearly thinks last season’s side is our first team.

That's why I've been upset with the quality of the recruitment to date. TM would appear to have been recruiting to provide back up to the old faithful whereas to my mind we needed at least 2 or 3 to go straight into the side.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, philipl said:

Ipswich have all four summer signings starting and Waghorn out of the starting line-up. 

Now that’s a sign of good or at least positive recruitment.

Let’s see if our side already being well gelled gives us an advantage. Or if there is a difference in quality.