BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ipswich away match thread

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

That's why I've been upset with the quality of the recruitment to date. TM would appear to have been recruiting to provide back up to the old faithful whereas to my mind we needed at least 2 or 3 to go straight into the side.

Agreed although I’m not sure I’d have said ‘upset’... more ‘concerned’.

2 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I agree with your analysis of recruitment.

Don't think you can judge the quality of recruitment until they're properly up and running. No one was blown away with Dack. It would have been nice to have signed an obvious improvement on Graham for today though. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Which is exactly why I’ve not been over the moon with our signings. It’s odd to bring in players in the Championship who aren’t better than the existing L1 players and who can’t displace any of them.

But...

Bell not better than Williams?

Wasn’t Rothwell supposed to have been good in preseason?

More likely is that Mowbray is being loyal to his old guard.

Tbf Mowbray has always maintained that the team that won promotion will be given a chance this season. We’ll see if they can raise their game in these first few games. I’m sure we will see the likes of Davenport, Rothwell, Bell, Travis and Palmer introduced into the starting 11 if others can’t hack it.

I think we struggled at times last season without Armstrong’s pace and Payne’s creativity, so it will be interesting to see how we go against much better opposition.

I thought from his comments over summer it was obvious Mowbray was going to give last year’s team the chance to prove themselves at this level. If I was picked to start and looked over at that bench I’d be very clear that if I didn’t win my one-on-one battle then the hook wouldn’t be long coming. Good man management IMO.

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I thought from his comments over summer it was obvious Mowbray was going to give last year’s team the chance to prove themselves at this level. If I was picked to start and looked over at that bench I’d be very clear that if I didn’t win my one-on-one battle then the hook wouldn’t be long coming. Good man management IMO.

But not necessarily so in recruitment: “Come to Rovers, Bauer, I know you are starting for Charlton but you could be on our bench making Mulgrew and Lenihan work harder”.

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

But not necessarily so in recruitment: “Come to Rovers, Bauer, I know you are starting for Charlton but you could be on our bench making Mulgrew and Lenihan work harder”.

I suppose Clough had no idea what he was doing making Trevor Francis pick up the boots after signing him as the first million pound player. 

“Welcome to the club, you have to learn how we play, work your bollocks off in training and earn your place in the team ahead of Scotland’s captain and Ireland’s best defender, but I have faith you can do it.”

22 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Now that’s a sign of good or at least positive recruitment.

Let’s see if our side already being well gelled gives us an advantage. Or if there is a difference in quality.

The thing is we re fielding a side that constantly won ,players who know each other and got a winning mentality.

Ipswich havent ..and if we d have finished in the lower half of the Championship like Ipswich im sure we d have made changes.

Lets see how strong or weak we are before making wholesale changes.

• Moderation Lead
5 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Lineup as expected. No frills from Mogga. 

Shame Bell is still playing second fiddle to Williams. 

I agree with this tbh. Fundamentally, I have no problem with us starting the season with the players that helped us get promoted, but I’d have liked to see Palmer and Rothwell start, really. Definitely Bell as well. He’d slightly help address the alarming lack of pace in the side...