BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ipswich away match thread

26 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Good result for us really, especially with Bolton, Wigan and PNE all winning.

We don’t want to start off too well and be a target for other teams. Let’s be midtable for as long as possible and catch them unawares with a late play-off place.

Lots to be positive about. Goals for Dack and Graham and we’d have all taken a draw before the game especially with our record at Portman Road.

It’s a point more than Reading, QPR, Sheff Weds and West Brom.

Onwards and upwards. We all just need to trust Mowbray.

(Did I miss anything?)

We gave it a right good go?

• Backroom

I'm mainly disappointed that we didn't go for it in the second half. Ipswich had very little quality outside of Edwards yet we fell into the same cowardly mindset that got us relegated last time. There's no point going defensive because we can't do it. There's a way to play defensively and it's not throwing everybody back into defence and giving the ball away constantly. 

That said it would have been so different if Palmer had put away the easiest chance of the match. No way Ipswich are coming back from 3-1 down.

Thought it was a laboured and dull game from both sides.

Tough away point in the bag, could’ve/should’ve been more which is a bit gutting, but we will be getting more when the squad is complete.

Happy days. Football’s back.

• Moderation Lead

Just another friendly reminder that we really don’t need to see the following types of posts, which, let’s be honest, are done to antagonise or take the moral high ground re their support:

1) Calling people happy clappers or doom mongers.

2) Asking people to trust Mowbray, which they blatantly do, it’s just that if he makes poor decisions, he lives and dies by them. Just like any other football manager on the planet. Mick McCarthy observed that Mowbray’s substitutions cost us the game and he knows way more about football management than any of us.

3) Name Calling and blatant trolling.

If these points can’t be adhered to, expect a time out. We are all frustrated that we conceded a last minute goal as we all support the same club.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

No not really. It was a freak goal. No reason to be down hearted and really focus on how we played at times and this team will only improve bit by bit

It was a shot cum cross that was on target that we failed completely to defend,  that covers a host of our players who were asleep including Raya.

Nothing freaky about it,  we created it! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I really like Travis. I wonder why he doesn't get the opportunities..

He certainly slipped down the pecking order big time after his reckless red at Pompey. You’d have thought he’s learnt his lesson by now. Think he should be pushing Evans/Smallwood for a starting berth personally.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I forgot about Samuel. He was poor, but he was played out of position, and it's not a position to hold up the ball, is it? I concluded that it doesn't matter too much because Arma will be here to fill that void in time for the next game. ?

What is Samuel position though because he is certainly not a striker.

I seem to have watched a different game! First of all what a delight to be watching Rovers live on a mega-screen again. Instant reactions:

What a fabulous signing Gwion Edwards is for Ipswich- easily best player on the pitch. Harrison was one we did well to avoid though...

The Championship holds no fears for Rovers unlike Rotherham who seem to have booked an express return to League 1 already. Apart from ten minutes early on the Rovers players were at least as fit, skilful, QUICK and determined as Ipswich and probably better organised.

Two stupidly soft goals conceded- Nyambe stood off inviting the cross (he did the same again in the 43rd minute) and left back was sleeping giving Edwards the free header. For the equaliser, Raya takes too big a step to his left anticipating a deflection goalwards leaving himself floundering for the ball going all the way across and in off the post.

Palmer was anonymous except for failing to convert his chance from the six yard line. And what on earth was Nutall doing heading it back in the 87th minute, setting up a dangerous Ipswich chance when a lobbed header anywhere on goal made it 3-1?

Dack had his moments but that was all. Well as the rest of them played we are not good enough to shield Dack's lack of pace and play to his strengths.

Overall, encouraging, very encouraging. Two silly points dropped but looking forwards to an entertaining season. 

• Like 3

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Sounds like Edwards was fantastic for them today, can't understand why Mowbray didn't go for him we are crying out for some wingers and he was one of the best players we came up against last year.

Maybe we are in for Maddison after all and he's supposed to be better, let's hope we are.

3 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I agree on that,  not paying attention resulted in reacting too late. 

It was hardly a result of our tactics anyway. Raya made one or two mistakes I saw in the 70/80 minutes plus that one he was punished but lucky.

Overall though I’m impressed by us. Williams was Jekyl and Hyde. Palmer was a bit lacklustre though, will enjoy having Armstrong as a sub to run around in Nuttalls place.

Edited by Biz

Obviously frustrated with the last minute goal, but I’m pretty pleased with that performance and result overall. I would certainly have taken that result before the game.

i thought we looked solid and pretty comfortable throughout. We lacked a lot of quality going forward, but what we lacked in quality we made up for in hard work and organisation. 

Armstrong and two other quality attacking players needed. We’d be looking a lot stronger then. Bennett, Samuel, Nuttal, and Conway are not good enough in those forward positions. 

Williams found wanting.

Midfield lack bite.Evans/ Smallwood simply not gd enough.

nyambe standout player.

Raya naieve At times.

Mulgrue looked relaxed and assured.

nutall did a job and held up ball well.

palmer off pace of game and looked desperate to be on ball. Needs time to settle.

Dack less than impressed to be substituted. Conway wrong move.

Lots to be optimistic about passion certainty there.

id say we need better alternative to Smallwood/Evans as a market priority. 

Bell to start over Williams.

• Like 2