BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ipswich away match thread

We were unlucky today. Their goal was a fluke and we looked fairly comfortable, thought we were gonna see it out so it is gutting. Thought we looked aggressive and also threatening on the ball however we did tire in the last 10 mins so. Think the team showed we can compete and with 1 or 2 quality signings, which is expected, we will be alright.

Despite the disappointment of losing out on 3 points, a point away from home is a decent result. Hope we can get a win next weekend and get that first win in the bag.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

How is this Ipswich team being rated amongst the championship teams? If they are not relegation fodder and there should be worse teams below them, then there is some light after today ????

With the bookies they are 3rd favourites for relegation. Personally I think they are a side that have made some good signings and will be mid table at worst.

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

How is this Ipswich team being rated amongst the championship teams? If they are not relegation fodder and there should be worse teams below them, then there is some light after today ????

Tipped for relegation by quite a few people. They've bought exclusively from League 1 and 2, even down to the manager. They don't have players anywhere near the ability of Dack, Mulgrew or Graham. Edwards looks like he'll be their best player this season, he gave us a torrid time today. Made our players look drunk at times when he ran at them. 

2 minutes ago, matt83 said:

What’s the chant to the tune of only fools and horses?

He puts his tactics in his pockets, venus is his right hand man, cause if you want the best uns and you don't ask questions then tony, hes your man, cause where it all comes from is a mystery, he got dacky for a bargain, Richie smallwood on a free, but heres the one that's driving me to smile, that super david raya and his saving style, tra la la la la

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AAK said:

He puts his tactics in his pockets, venus is his right hand man, cause if you want the best uns and you don't ask questions then tony, hes your man, cause where it all comes from is a mystery, he got dacky for a bargain, Richie smallwood on a free, but heres the one that's driving me to smile, that super david raya and his saving style, tra la la la la

Brilliant.

7 minutes ago, AAK said:

Cheers. A mate of mine said he heard one today but couldn’t make head nor tail of what was being sung so I was mildly curious as to what it was

Watched  the game in a local hostelry on a foreign channel and thought this was a fairly poor game between 2 sides who look as though they'll be looking nervously over their shoulder all season to get to 50 points.

Desperately disappointing not to come away with the 3 points in the circumstances. The turning point was an appalling miss by Palmer on 76 mins at 2-1 up which would have secured the points. You can't afford to squander those sort of opportunities and so it proved as we conceded an extremely soft last gasp equaliser. Raya I think was entitled to see his defence attempt to close the cross out at source, then make some sort of attempt to cut it out when it comes in. Nevertheless if push comes to shove, he needs to be preventing that from going in once everyone else has missed it I think.

Overall, I think we look well short all over the pitch. Williams was a real curate's egg, great going forward today, but badly at fault for their first and defensively I think he'll be a real liability this season. In central midfield with Evans and Smallwood in situ we look bereft of quality and creativity and Bennett isn't good enough on the right.

Graham did pretty well and Dack showed some flashes of genius in the second half but the former is only good for around an hour and take those 2 out of the line up and you're not left with very much at all imo. With Graham already off the pitch I certainly wouldn't have withdrawn Dack as well because if you do then concede you've no chance of striking back.

A point which probably would have been deemed acceptable before kick off, but the way the game panned out, definitely 2 points dropped and I suspect we are going to need every point we can get our hands on.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

Thought it was a laboured and dull game from both sides.

Tough away point in the bag, could’ve/should’ve been more which is a bit gutting, but we will be getting more when the squad is complete.

Happy days. Football’s back.

Shouldn't the squad be complete before the first game.

Firstly I’d have taken a point before the game and iv not seen the highlights yet but what I’m gathering is the same issues not addressed

full backs- not good enough particularly Williams. He is a liability particularly at this level. Nyambe should be sub with an experienced pro in there.

evans/ Smallwood - not good enough, Smallwood doesn’t have enough to his game and his gasket is blown after a half. Evans doesn’t impose himself/ control the game anything like he should and his shooting is terrible, how many does he sky over the bar or kick into the ground. Neither should be starters

Samuel/nuttall - 

not good enough, crying out for a more accomplished striker to ease the burden on graham. Neither of these two are the answer.

raya- still makes too many basic errors for me. Does win points but throws away a lot too.

mowbray- has never mastered the final 10 minutes. How often do we concede late goals and how few times do we net late winners. Difference between average managers and good ones. Hurst seems to be great at getting late goals.

Overall- yes it’s great to get promotion and you feel like you should be loyal to your team but I’m afraid a few of them should have been left in lg 1, as that’s their standard. A thank you for getting us up but we have now outgrown you sorry, would suffice. It’s the nature of football. Never rest on your laurels, tough decisions must be made. Feel like Tony is trying too hard to be mr nice guy il give you a chance to some of them.

squad needs a good few transfers this coming week.

take the point and move on. I’d say hopefully lessons learned but they never seem to be 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Screenshot_20180804-174112_Twitter.jpg

Not sure who Mowbray is trying to communicate to with that message. Under normal circumstances it would be aimed at the chairman and owner but we keep being told he already has money burning a hole in his pocket and even turned down more money ‘to grow the club properly’ rather than FFP-sponsored boom and bust.

Odd.

1 hour ago, CambridgeRover said:

Williams is the main culprit. For that equaliser he could have intercepted but instead was falling over. Edwards destroyed him several times and all of Ipswich's chances came down that wing.

Bell should start for the next match.

Palmer is the main culprit. Should of made it 3-1 and game over

• Like 1

Williams wasn't good enough for the majority of last season. Some will claim he never had any "glaring errors" a la Mulgrew at Fleetwood but the fact of the matter is wingers get a run on him all too often. If he is a centre back then we should sign a proper left back and relegate him to backing up Mulgrew & Lenihan.

The match was a poor one really. I'm quite happy to know there's Davenport + Armstrong to add to that squad otherwise you're scratching your head where more creativity comes from once Dack is withdrawn.

Our subs were poor. It's worrying that, unless more business is done in the next week, we'd be down to Nuttall/Samuel as back up up front and, should Palmer & Bennett get injured we'd be left with Samuel as a winger too. He isn't comfortable there, clearly. I only hope he improves in that position as the season goes on.

I will take the point. Win the games at home, ensure you take at least a point on the road and you're in for a successful season. Does feel like 2 points dropped though. A sickening goal to concede! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imy9 said:

Armstrong and Gallagher in that team would make all the difference, with Davenport and Palmer. I expect us to have a settled side in the next few weeks. 

Are you happy with the planning then.

Think your in for a shock, along with the rest us, if you think those two are going to make a difference at this level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

I have to say for all the hype Palmer was getting his cameo was pretty disappointing. I hope it's just a lack of fitness or settling in period. 

The guy didn’t have any pre-season game time. Will take him a bit longer to bed in I’d expect.

From speaking to a couple of people who went game they said Nyambe was very good and improving every game. 

Williams played his part with the second goal which alot of people fail to mention. 

I expect Ipswich to be at best bottom 6. They are losing Waghorn by Monday. Hurst has said he will be very busy next week in terms of transfers

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JAL said:

Are you happy with the planning then.

Think your in for a shock, along with the rest us, if you think those two are going to make a difference at this level.

What do you expect this season JAL? Position in the league?

I expect at a stretch a top 10 position. I believe with those two players we have a shot. 

Also to answer your previous question, name ONE club in the championship settled and happy with their squad at this moment?