BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ipswich away match thread

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

No thanks. Nobody here seems to want to mention Williams's contribution to the second goal. Sure, blame him for the first goal, but he deserves credit in the second goal. Make a mistake and make up for it. What's wrong with that?

Perhaps a quicker full back may have negated Edwards threat?

10 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Not just a quick fullback, but one that can tackle. People seem to think Bell is the answer. He'll get his chance and we'll see, but I feel like there are extremely high expectations from everyone here bemoaning today's draw. Away from home. In the Championship. Having just come from League One...

I don't think it's that people think Bell is the answer I just think that they would like to see what he could do as we paid £300K for him, he was in the team of the year yet here he has spent most of the time sat on the bench.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Not just a quick fullback, but one that can tackle. People seem to think Bell is the answer. He'll get his chance and we'll see, but I feel like there are extremely high expectations from everyone here bemoaning today's draw. Away from home. In the Championship. Having just come from League One...

I don't  think it's the result. It's the manner it came about. 

I only tuned in after about 15 minutes but without being spectacular we looked fairly comfortable. The game started to change after the substitutions and after each one we got more and more shaky.

Williams was getting a roasting in that last period of the game and yet nothing was really done to help him out.  Once Dack went off we rally did struggle to get out. Ipswich were relatively punchless apart from Edward so it was a kick in the teeth to see them equalise with a fluke.

Overall I fear for Ipswich more than us. I think the frustration is that tactically we didn't help ourselves. It's easy in Hindisight  but it seems mad that  a team who were starting to get overrun in a tiring midfield, and who were getting shredded down their left side, ended up not utlilising Bell or Travis.

On the plus side, it's good to see Graham and Dack off the mark early. I thought the two centre halves did well (although Mulgrew does back off from pace) and after an apparent shaky start we did seem to press well and control the game till we tired. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

• Backroom
57 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I expect Ipswich to be at best bottom 6. 

Without any decent additions I think we will be too. I'm talking better additions than Armstrong, for the record. At the very least we need a pacy, tricky winger, somebody better than Smallwood and a decent backup to Graham for when he tires at around the 60-70 minute mark. Would need to be significantly better than Samuel, who should be nowhere near our starting eleven. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I don't think it's that people think Bell is the answer I just think that they would like to see what he could do as we paid £300K for him, he was in the team of the year yet here he has spent most of the time sat on the bench.

Couldn't agree more. Either Bell will be good enough or he Won't, but we'll only find that out once he has had an extended run of games. I can't see the point in shelling out good money for him and then not giving him a chance. Certainly his peers in League 1 seem to rate him a lot more highly than our manager so why did we sign him?

Conversely the exact opposite seems to apply to Samuel. I'd argue that if he is anything He's a centre forward who needs the ball playing in front of him to run onto. You're never going to get much joy out of him sticking him out wide yet it's almost as though with him, having formed out 400k for him, we have to shoehorn him into the starting eleven somewhere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No not really. It was a freak goal. No reason to be down hearted and really focus on how we played at times and this team will only improve bit by bit

Chaddy its not a criticism of anyone to be gutted at a last minute equaliser against you. If you wasnt gutted then you clearly are absent of any emotion. Positives aside. 

2 hours ago, Biz said:

Surprised I’ve not seen anyone critical at raya for their 2nd goal was either a total fluke or his fault! I’d go for the later 

I dont think the goal was necessarily his fault but he was error prone again. The kick in the first half and flapping in the second were big mistakes. Stockdale surplus to requirements at Birmingham but very good at this level and proven. Worth a signing?

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Chaddy its not a criticism of anyone to be gutted at a last minute equaliser against you. If you wasnt gutted then you clearly are absent of any emotion. Positives aside. 

I dont think the goal was necessarily his fault but he was error prone again. The kick in the first half and flapping in the second were big mistakes. Stockdale surplus to requirements at Birmingham but very good at this level and proven. Worth a signing?

Worries me either way. Was a shame too because the overall performance, especially being dominant for large parts of the second half.

I also felt KP45 missed a sitter and walked/passed into a few blind alleys but I’ll give the lad a chance since he’s been in the building less than a week.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, DE. said:

Without any decent additions I think we will be too. I'm talking better additions than Armstrong, for the record. At the very least we need a pacy, tricky winger, somebody better than Smallwood and a decent backup to Graham for when he tires at around the 60-70 minute mark. Would need to be significantly better than Samuel, who should be nowhere near our starting eleven. 

Yes we need players but we wont be bottom 6. around the 14th place for me, maybe even better. 

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I was gutted but I choose to always look at the positives instead of the negatives. 

Most keepers at this level make errors pal, that's just the way it is. I wouldn't be getting of him/dropping him after 1 championship game. Its about trusting Raya and backing him he will get better. 

What are Stockdale wages and fee be? plus why has Monk decide to drop both senior keepers for a under 23 keeper?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I think a draw is a decent result given the lack of quality we have currently.  Wouldhave taken it before kick off. Today simply highlighted what we knew from last season.  Defence is pretty solid  - with Williams the weakest of the 4.  Midfield is a weak area.  Smallwood is a trier but lacks quality.  Evans seems to coast. A lot of pressure on Davenport to make an impact in that area.  

Bennett is a grafter and did well in the middle and at right back but offers nothing out wide.  Samuels will probably have 1 good game in 10. Conway too slow. Dack and Graham fine at this level.  Nuttall out his depth at this moment of time. 

Four 1st team players  needed to be competitive in this league.  Pretty sure that Mowbray knows that.  Whether we get them is a different matter...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bazza said:

Williams and Samuel for me.

Half of Rovers fans would probably have put thosetwo in their starting XI so they aren't really controversial.

Putting someone like Downing or Comway in would be controversial.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, imy9 said:

Out of interest who would you say was a controversial starter?

Is that a serious question? Samuel obviously, would you have played Shearer as a winger? No because he couldn't bloody play there, samuel can't run with and cross with, the ball, so why play him as a winger? 

Subs well, nuttall and conway, you might as well get a player sent off. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Half of Rovers fans would probably have put thosetwo in their starting XI so they aren't really controversial.

Putting someone like Downing or Comway in would be controversial.

Really? I don't know anybody who would start samuel, his nickname over in darwen is donkey dom

Edited by AAK

Just now, AAK said:

Is that a serious question? Samuel obviously, would you have played Shearer as a winger? No because he couldn't bloody play there, samuel can't run with and cross with, the ball, so why play him as a winger? 

Subs well, nuttall and conway, you might as well get a player sent off. 

So who would you have played on the wing? Clearly you wouldn’t play Conway or Samuel so I’m not sure who is left...

12 minutes ago, bazza said:

Williams and Samuel for me.

Williams is hardly controversial as even when Bell signed he didn't take Williams' place in the team. We haven't signed any other left backs so nothing's changed there. No matter what you think of him Williams has been a regular starter into 3 seasons now so he's not a controversial pick at all. Samuel on the wing on the other hand? Hopefully never again. He should have been on the bench to come on instead of Nuttall today. 

2 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

So who would you have played on the wing? Clearly you wouldn’t play Conway or Samuel so I’m not sure who is left...

Rothwell played on the left behind the striker in a few pre season games so he's probably the only other option. We need to get Armstrong and Chapman/Maddison done before the Millwall game.