BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ipswich away match thread

7 minutes ago, AAK said:

Really? I don't know anybody who would start samuel, his nickname over in darwen is donkey dom

Yep.

I've Just had a quick look and of the first 10 people to name a starting XI on this thread, 5 of them had Saumuel in there. The rest had   Palmer in there who was never going to start.

Id have put Rothwell in there instead personally though.

Edited by Hasta

8 minutes ago, AAK said:

Is that a serious question? Samuel obviously, would you have played Shearer as a winger? No because he couldn't bloody play there, samuel can't run with and cross with, the ball, so why play him as a winger? 

Subs well, nuttall and conway, you might as well get a player sent off. 

To be fair.  Shearer was a fantastic crosser of a ball. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

To be fair.  Shearer was a fantastic crosser of a ball. 

But I would NEVER have started him on the wing?

Actually Shearer was a brilliant all rounder, as was Simon Garner. Pure footballers.

Edited by bazza
  • Like 6

Williams, Evans & Samuel wouldn't start for me.

I'd like to see Bennett back in the middle with Smallwood, and two new lads (Armstrong & ? Do not say Maddison/Chapman, they aint happening!) either side of Graham, with a new alternative to come on/in for whenever Graham is unavailable, which i think might be a lot this season.

Edited by MarkBRFC

Without individual analysis I thought from start to finish we looked organised and comfortable. The second goal was a shot come cross and either great skill or lucky take your pick.

I’m disappointed with a draw because I think we where better than that but the Ipswich fellas we where with thought they did well.

i think we have the makings of a team and from where I seated every single player starter or substitute ran and worked hard, that was without exception. Are there better players out there. Yes.

However ours players show commitment to the cause and this is a team game. At the end they looked gutted and that is a great start, because they wanted to win and it’s a long time since we had players who care.

COYB

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

Yep.

I've Just had a quick look and of the first 10 people to name a starting XI on this thread, 5 of them had Saumuel in there. The rest had   Palmer in there who was never going to start.

Id have put Rothwell in there instead personally though.

I put rothwell in my 11 and hopefully he will start the next 45 games. Next time I want to see Samuel is upfront against carlisle

On another note has anyone ever seen Evans hit a shot that didn't smash a floodlight

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AAK said:

Is that a serious question? Samuel obviously, would you have played Shearer as a winger? No because he couldn't bloody play there, samuel can't run with and cross with, the ball, so why play him as a winger? 

Subs well, nuttall and conway, you might as well get a player sent off. 

It is a serious question...who would you have played instead of Samuel? Who is the stand out performer on the bench that should have played first? 

There were no controversial starters, Williams hasn't missed a game has he in over a year? The subs, well those I can agree with...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I put rothwell in my 11 and hopefully he will start the next 45 games. Next time I want to see Samuel is upfront against carlisle

On another note has anyone ever seen Evans hit a shot that didn't smash a floodlght?

Scored a decent volley on his debut ..Vs Bolton I think..

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Oh yeah I remember that. Ok I will change to apart from his first ever shot in a rovers shirt has the guy ever had another that hasn't smashed a floodlight

Scored a good goal away at Wigan I think. Doesn't change the fact he's not good enough and looking back throughout his time here, has he ever really been good enough? He's had the odd good game but it's not enough. I'd be starting Bennett in there with Smallwood. Hopefully davenport and travis can stake a claim too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bazza said:

But I would NEVER have started him on the wing?

Actually Shearer was a brilliant all rounder, as was Simon Garner. Pure footballers.

Garner ripped Ipswich' s genuinely world class defence apart circa '82 (?).

He would have bagged a hat trick against that lot today.

Oh for that movement and pace!

• Like 1

Mulgrew and Williams poor for first goal. 

Good free kick by Smallwood for Graham goal with Lenihan and Williams. 

Good Williams cross for Dack goal after Graham great hold up play. 

Palmer should have scored there. Would expect for a loan player from Chelsea

What a great defending by Lenihan after Edwards showed some great skills. 

Ipswich 2nd goal is a fluke goal. Raya not a fault one bit. 

Ipswich main threat will be Edwards. Tricky and pacey winger. 

Just finished watching the full re-run on bein sports, unfortunately missed it live.

Thought we were very unlucky not to get the win, never really under the cosh and dealt well when Ipswich did threaten, apart from a couple of panic moments.

Graham played well winning nearly everything that was launched at him, slight worry that we do not really have anybody similiar if he gets injured.

Do not really think our subs changed the course of the game, flukey goal to equalise at the end.

Edwards a nice tidy player for them, also liked the look of their 19 year old defender that came on Wolfenden?

Edited by perthblue02

We looked really comfortable till the last 15 mins or so. I suppose Ipswich simply got more desperate as time wore on.

A pity we didn't get the third when Palmer scuffed his shot.

Loved our fitness and our pressing, first to the ball and all that, we played some delightful football at times and at least we didn't lose our first match of the season as we usually do.

A good away point, one we would have settled for before the game.

Finally, we did not look out of place in this division, far from it.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, imy9 said:

Armstrong and Gallagher in that team would make all the difference, with Davenport and Palmer. I expect us to have a settled side in the next few weeks. 

I'm guessing that's why Mowbray wanted to do hid transfer business "early". :(

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Williams, Evans & Samuel wouldn't start for me.

Then you might just have lost a bit of the team spirit.

Dropping promoted players straight away...no good reason. The squad wouldn't have that. I think TM will phase Bell in and one or two others.  It's a long season and the lads that got us up at least need to get the first game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I think a draw is a decent result given the lack of quality we have currently.  Wouldhave taken it before kick off. Today simply highlighted what we knew from last season.  Defence is pretty solid  - with Williams the weakest of the 4.  Midfield is a weak area.  Smallwood is a trier but lacks quality.  Evans seems to coast. A lot of pressure on Davenport to make an impact in that area.  

Bennett is a grafter and did well in the middle and at right back but offers nothing out wide.  Samuels will probably have 1 good game in 10. Conway too slow. Dack and Graham fine at this level.  Nuttall out his depth at this moment of time. 

Four 1st team players  needed to be competitive in this league.  Pretty sure that Mowbray knows that.  Whether we get them is a different matter...

Several nails hit well and truly on the head.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

On another note has anyone ever seen Evans hit a shot that didn't smash a floodlight

On his debut at Ewood Evans smashed in a 20-25 yard volley. Haven't seen him hit a decent shot since.

That late goal must have hurt but we've been on the wrong end of them too often in recent years, it was nice to have it for ourselves and deny the opposition for a change.    I'm guessing there must have been some random profanities, curses and rolling of eyes when that second goal arrived.    I'm not wrong am I ?   Never mind, crap happens so they say and once again we've had enough instances of being in that situation.     Perhaps a point each was eventually fair regardless of how it eventually arrived.     

Opening day always seem to be tough, you never know quite what to expect and there's always some players too eager to make an impression (particularly new signings) and errors will arise and focus isn't always maintained, I think we were both guilty of that this afternoon.      I'm not hoping for much this season, whether it's Paul Hurst, Jock Stein or Bob Paisley in charge of team affairs from now on, the fact remains our squad is nowhere near good enough to compete with other more prepared clubs of this division, add to that the "minor concern" of an owner who doesn't seem to want to bring any exciting names in / invest properly in the team.   Sure we have some new players in, but who are these kids ?   Nearly "all" I've never even heard of.    I don't think this is a solution to a long-standing problem.

So, now today is done with and we look back on what might have been, a draw seems fair.   Obviously both would have wanted the three point start but beggars can't be choosers.    Hope those who made it down had a safe journey back, took some time to sample the Town during their visit.     At the end of the day (in the true literal sense) both clubs came away with something, wasn't the best start for either but honours even, I think we'll take it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, not exactly Scarface said:

That late goal must have hurt but we've been on the wrong end of them too often in recent years, it was nice to have it for ourselves and deny the opposition for a change.    I'm guessing there must have been some random profanities, curses and rolling of eyes when that second goal arrived.    I'm not wrong am I ?   Never mind, crap happens so they say and once again we've had enough instances of being in that situation.     Perhaps a point each was eventually fair regardless of how it eventually arrived.     

Opening day always seem to be tough, you never know quite what to expect and there's always some players too eager to make an impression (particularly new signings) and errors will arise and focus isn't always maintained, I think we were both guilty of that this afternoon.      I'm not hoping for much this season, whether it's Paul Hurst, Jock Stein or Bob Paisley in charge of team affairs from now on, the fact remains our squad is nowhere near good enough to compete with other more prepared clubs of this division, add to that the "minor concern" of an owner who doesn't seem to want to bring any exciting names in / invest properly in the team.   Sure we have some new players in, but who are these kids ?   Nearly "all" I've never even heard of.    I don't think this is a solution to a long-standing problem.

So, now today is done with and we look back on what might have been, a draw seems fair.   Obviously both would have wanted the three point start but beggars can't be choosers.    Hope those who made it down had a safe journey back, took some time to sample the Town during their visit.     At the end of the day (in the true literal sense) both clubs came away with something, wasn't the best start for either but honours even, I think we'll take it.

Think we'd have taken a point before the game, I certainly would have. A shame to lose all three so late but that's football sometimes you raggy gits! :lol:  Could be worse and you could be a Macclesfield fan today, 2-1 up with 90 minutes played only to lose 3-2 courtesy of 2 penalties in added time. Absolute madness. I'm glad I've got my Saturdays back and I'm sure you are too. With us two being two of the lesser financed clubs in the league it would be nice too see one of us over exceed expectations so all the best for the rest of the season, except when you come to Ewood ;)

39 minutes ago, not exactly Scarface said:

Thanks pal, don’t be a stranger to this board as you seem a decent sort and other clubs fans who are like you are always welcome. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

As much as I like Mowbray, I think he messed up the first substitution today. Bringing Palmer on when winning was unnecessary. To put him out on the left took him away from his natural position but crucially, caused Bennett to move from the left to the right. Without the hard working Bennett in front of him, Williams was left dreadfully exposed and completely at the mercy of the dangerous Edwards who made mincemeat of him. I suggested to my son after Palmer had been on only a matter of minutes that I felt Mowbray would be regretting the change and would probably like to hook Palmer but wouldn't want to destroy his confidence by doing so. 

He then took Dack off purely to move Palmer away from the role he couldn't perform and to save face by putting him centrally, off the striker. 

The net result of unnecessary substitutions was that there was no one left to replace the obviously injured Bennett in the closing minutes. Also the talismanic Dack was sat twiddling his thumbs in the stands (at least, that's what it looked like!)

It was an uncharacteristic error of judgement by Mowbray but I think he must really rate Palmer which is pleasing to know.

You know what J, I believe you’ve got the makings of a good manager!