BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

I wasn't referring to what you said. I was referring to another poster. I agree with what you're saying - the sooner we win, the better our two draws will look. But I can't agree with those categorising a games as a must win when we're two games into the season.

@Stuart, to me, "must-win" refers to exactly what you said (a game that you HAVE to win to achieve your season's goal). That's just my opinion.

@RevidgeBlue, we'll go to Hull looking to beat them, but if we come back with a draw or defeat, then you start thinking. Right now, I'm not at panic stage.

So it kind of depends on the target.

Promotion was 90 points last season so by that definition no game is ‘must win’ until after 16 games.

Sam with play offs (75 points) you can write off 21 games before you get any ‘must wins’.

If avoiding relegation is our aim (typically 50 points) then we don’t need to win technically until 30 games (provided we get a couple OFA draw).

But this is complete folly because it is impossible to win every one of those ‘must win’ games when the target can technically still be achieved.

If we assume a WDL sequence (15 wins, 16 draws and 15 defeats) this would probably have us midtable. We ‘must win’ one game in every three game sequence to achieve this target.

Ergo, ‘must win’ games happen throughout the season and not only when the maths kicks in - or it’ll be too late.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AW17 said:

Don't think tickets are selling well for this one can still buy tickets for £18.00

Normal service resumed on that one then, always knew away followings would die off again after some decent ones last season.

Shame really but we're back to being mocked for our away followings again this season now the hangers on have gone.

----------------------------Raya

Bennett----Lenihan----Mulgrew----Bell

-----------------Dack-----------Evans

Armstrong---------Palmer-------Rothwell

-------------------------Graham

I'd give that a go if we are sticking with 451. Still think we would be better with 343/352. Too many square pegs in midfield in 4231.

Edited by joey_big_nose

13 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Normal service resumed on that one then, always knew away followings would die off again after some decent ones last season.

Shame really but we're back to being mocked for our away followings again this season now the hangers on have gone.

Exactly right, I was hoping it wouldn't fade so quickly but unfortunately it has. 

Back to taking 300 places. 

12 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Ironic that with all the furore over a lack of concession tickets that this is likely to be the cheapest and one of the easiest away games of the season. As an adult the days of £18 tickets are rare when up the road Leeds are likely to be charging double that to visit their tip of a ground later this season.

With that in mind I would have expected a good uptake on the £18 tickets as those adults with limited disposable cash are unlikely to find much cheaper this year. Fair enough those who take their kids are likely to be stung on the ticketing but the majority of fans don't take their kids.

In fact our first 3 away games are all quite reasonable for away adult supporters - Ipswich were charging £25 I think which is more than it should be but still less than it has been in the past when they've charged £30+. Carlisle tickets available for £7.50 and Hull for £18.

I never expected any different away followngs wise. We've just had a season with a load of new grounds, loads of derbies, big boys in a league, going for promotion etc.

Going back to mid/lower table at a level we've been used to, at grounds we've played at year after year means they will simply drop back to the standard.  

Raya

Nyambe            Lenihan                  Mulgrew           Bell

Evans                       Rothwell

Armstrong                      Dack                              Palmer

Graham

Subs:Leutwiler, Williams, Downing, Bennett, Travis, Smallwood, Samuel

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16416126.joe-rothwell-starting-to-acclimatise-to-rovers-boss-demands/

Rothwell touches on that his natural position is actually as a number 8, coming from deep.

I like the look of your team @Ewood Ace because it has attacking threats from a few different places. 2 potential issues are the fact that it leaves nothing on the bench (something we can rectify in the window) and also I cant see Bennett being dropped.

Maybe more likely to see that team next Wednesday at home to Reading?

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

Although I have a sneaky feeling we can do better than just avoiding relegation this season, surviving this season is about all the bookies think we'll do. To me, that is the priority for this season - survive and push for a real promotion challenge over the next few seasons if everything goes well. On that basis, for me, Hull City away is not a must-win. I know I'm going to be called unambitious, but I prefer to call it realistic. For me, a draw would be good. There are certain other games, for example Bolton, Rotherham, etc. at home that are must-win. I just don't see why Hull City away is one of them, unless you think our goal is a promotion push.

Promotion should be our aim until it is no longer possible.

The problem with writing off certain games with a shrug means that failure is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

For me, Hull is a must win to get us back on track after not beating Millwall. If we had then a draw might have been acceptable.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

@AW17Yes,  I did, it's a strange practice as it only allowed me to buy in the N7 block and  I only bought a single ticket. 

I bet a lot of people go on see none on the website and never bother to call the ticket office to check.

It is a strange way of doing things.

Raya

Evans                       Bennett

Graham

Picks itself.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Raya

Graham

Picks itself.

That's our best team at the minute 

40 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Raya

Graham

Picks itself.

Thats the team I would be going with.

Not much off the bench to excite though - which we will hopefully be addressing.

4 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Although I have a sneaky feeling we can do better than just avoiding relegation this season, surviving this season is about all the bookies think we'll do. To me, that is the priority for this season - survive and push for a real promotion challenge over the next few seasons if everything goes well. On that basis, for me, Hull City away is not a must-win. I know I'm going to be called unambitious, but I prefer to call it realistic. For me, a draw would be good. There are certain other games, for example Bolton, Rotherham, etc. at home that are must-win. I just don't see why Hull City away is one of them, unless you think our goal is a promotion push.

I don't really understand what any of that actually means in reality.

A draw against Hull, and also mere survival, are both outcomes that may be accepted should they happen, but they are also minimum targets, we shouldnt aim for them.

And im also not sure why you are basing your aims and objectives on the bookies expectations for.

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Ironic that with all the furore over a lack of concession tickets that this is likely to be the cheapest and one of the easiest away games of the season. As an adult the days of £18 tickets are rare when up the road Leeds are likely to be charging double that to visit their tip of a ground later this season.

With that in mind I would have expected a good uptake on the £18 tickets as those adults with limited disposable cash are unlikely to find much cheaper this year. Fair enough those who take their kids are likely to be stung on the ticketing but the majority of fans don't take their kids.

In fact our first 3 away games are all quite reasonable for away adult supporters - Ipswich were charging £25 I think which is more than it should be but still less than it has been in the past when they've charged £30+. Carlisle tickets available for £7.50 and Hull for £18.

There's always excuses with our fans really. 

Can't help but feel the followings last season helped the players go that extra mile at times too. 

• Like 2

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Smallwood Rothwell

Bennett  Dack  Palmer

Armstrong

Maybe?

Think it might be good to have Armstrong running in behind from the start when we’re away. Then bring on Danny for the out ball and scrap when we’re ahead or chasing.

Maybe unfair on Conway?

• Backroom
19 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Raya

Smallwood Rothwell

Bennett  Dack  Palmer

Armstrong

Maybe?

Think it might be good to have Armstrong running in behind from the start when we’re away. Then bring on Danny for the out ball and scrap when we’re ahead or chasing.

Maybe unfair on Conway?

I'd change it just slightly:

Raya

Bennett  Smallwood

Palmer   Dack  Rothwell

Armstrong

That sits a bit better imo. I like the idea of giving Armstrong his chance up front. Would also mean Graham could be an effective option from the bench to change the game (which is how i think he could be used at his age).

I might even put Evans in Smallwood's place, as he's played well in the first 2 Championship games.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 2