BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

5 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

As a fan, I never aim for anything; I don't manage the club. I'm just spouting my expectations - maybe the lowest ones. I want promotion. I'd love a push for the playoffs. A top half finish would be great. The bookies don't think we'll be anywhere close to that, so it's just what I expect; they're usually right!

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/winner

This seems to list clubs in order of the average odds across all major bookies (I think, haven't studied it too intently). If we used that as a measure, the bookies seem to think we will finish 14th. Nice and solidly mid-table. Teams expected to be in that bracket can always charge for the play-offs, so I don't think the bookies would be gobsmacked if we ended up in the mix.

I'm personally expecting us to finish anywhere from around 8th to 16th at the moment, but more expecting the higher end of that spectrum...this is on the assumption we do adequate business in the remainder of the window. Fantastic business might earn us a serious tilt at the playoffs, poor business...I don't want to think about. This is a league where most teams could pretty much finish anywhere in a wide range.

21 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

We’re shorter odds for the play offs than to get relegated on my betting app.

That’ll do for me.

14th is 8 places from the play-offs, and 7 from relegation, so that follows. Of course, bookies odds are in a fairly large part based on how people are betting, and people have a tendency to not expect newly promoted teams to do well, whether rightly so or not. Not sure I can think of a newly promoted team that were actually tipped for the playoffs, but there's a good few examples of teams that have done it.

Not really bothered what the bookies think but from what we have seen so far, I would assume we have it in us to be safe at the very minimum. Anything on top will come down to any more additions we bring in and whether we get lucky on the injury side of things.

Evans is likely to break down again at some point but we are more than adequately stocked there and I doubt we would really miss him that much despite playing OK so far. My main worry injury wise is Mulgrew - we were lucky to get a full season (give or take) out of him last season but he had been hampered with them prior to that. Downing as a replacement? Williams? It really does not bare thinking about really.   

48 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Has anyone managed to download the Rovers 18/19 fixtures to an Android phone calendar?

I’ve tried the link from the rovers website but it hasn’t worked. Managed to do it last season.

I can't even find the download link this year.

Last year no problem to a Samsung mobile.

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

Interesting that Mowbray said that he doesn't think he'll play Rothwell in central midfield in the Championship. Feels that he lacks the discipline of Smallwood and Evans. I think it's a big reason why Carlisle had so many free shots on goal last night. We'll probably be seeing a central midfield partnership of Evans and Smallwood for the majority of the season, with the Palmer, Rothwell, Bennett, Davenport, Conway, and co. competing for the other attacking/wide midfield spots around Dack.

I think its safe to say Davenport shouldn't be in that list. You are right on the rest. Although I hope Mowbray hasn't ruled putting Bennett in the middle out totally 

For me it should be -

Raya

Nyambe   Lenihan    Mulgrew    Bell

Bennett     Evans    Rothwell

Dack      Armstrong

Graham

Yes - a 4-3-3 formation

Cracking result despite playing against lower opposition.  Every now and then we need a result like this to give the lads a boost.  Now we hope they bring their goalscoring boots to Hull on Saturday.  I am optimistic about this one, and feel that we have a good chance to get our first win of the season.  Hoping to see a couple of new faces in the squad next week, which will give the team a boost.  I sat down with a Hull City supporter and talked about the up coming match this weekend: 

• Like 1

For me it has to be:

Raya

Nyambe - Lenihan - Mulgrew - Bell

Rothwell/Travis - Evans/Smallwood

Palmer - Dack - Armstrong

Graham

The big call in this game for TM is who he plays in midfield, especially with Travis and Rothwell impressing last night. They both give us abit more quality and are more forward thinking in how they use the ball. Although we do need one of Evans or Smallwood as defensive protection. Personally I would go with Travis and Evans. I'd be dissapointed if TM stuck with Evans and Smallwood as Hull arn't all that are their for the taking imo, although Hull fans probably think the same for us!

Edited by TruRover

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't think theres any chance of Smallwood leaving.

My suggestion on the soldiers and artists front, is that it surely should be rare that we include 3 soldiers (Smallwood, Evans and Bennett) in the same team.

Last season I'd have agreed when we had by far the best players in the league (bar Wigan) but this season, even with those 3 'soldiers', it won't be easy to stay solid. Millwall waltzed through us twice and Ipswich a few more times by all accounts. Smallwood and Evans aren't mobile enough to protect the whole of the back four on their own. No point leaving ourselves open and conceding for fun.

3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Last season I'd have agreed when we had by far the best players in the league (bar Wigan) but this season, even with those 3 'soldiers', it won't be easy to stay solid. Millwall waltzed through us twice and Ipswich a few more times by all accounts. Smallwood and Evans aren't mobile enough to protect the whole of the back four on their own. No point leaving ourselves open and conceding for fun.

I felt like the reason we were so poor in the first half v Millwall was not the number of defensively minded players, but more so the individual performances of those players. The horrendous ball retention of Evans and Smallwood in particular, as well as the lack of protection they provided was the reason that we were under pressure.

I believe we can play without a defensive winger in games, and still not play with wreckless abandon.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

It became evident last night without a proper tackler in midfield. Travis isn't good enough at that just yet, Rothwell looks to get forward, and Palmer can't be arsed, so it's down to Smallwood and Evans in the middle. Whether we like it or not.

The problem was on Saturday, in that first half when we were all over the shop, they were our 2 worst players, and didnt do their job.

40 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

It became evident last night without a proper tackler in midfield. Travis isn't good enough at that just yet, Rothwell looks to get forward, and Palmer can't be arsed, so it's down to Smallwood and Evans in the middle. Whether we like it or not.

Or bennett

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Wasn't it in the papers that Sunderland were linked with him going there on loan ? It'd be a bit of a strange move with Cattermole already being there. Maybe they could fill in for each other when they get suspended !

Richie never got suspended in fairness to him. In fact he hadn't been the same player since then. It's like getting that many yellows made him re-evaluate shit with regards his style of play. Shame, because he was flying into way more tackles then.