BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Got a good feeling about today, 0-2 with Dack involved in both. I suspect this will only happen after Tony realises the positive formation and line up against Carlisle is the way to go and makes some subs after an hour or so as I'm sure he'll go back to Evans and Smallwood from the start. 

On 17/08/2018 at 10:33, Stuart said:

Yeah. Momentum is overrated.

Let’s put that forward line that got 5 last time out (and could have had more) back in its box and go for a 1-0-and-shut-up-shop approach which has resulted in two draws.

He’d better get that 1-0 then because he is opening himself up for criticism if he changes a winning team and then doesn’t.

You do realise that Hull are a far better team than Carlise? If we set up with the same players that played against Carlise, we would concede a lot, didn't Carlise have 18 shots? 

4 minutes ago, callumrovers said:

You do realise that Hull are a far better team than Carlise? If we set up with the same players that played against Carlise, we would concede a lot, didn't Carlise have 18 shots? 

No I hadn’t realised - thanks. I wish you’d have told me yesterday when I made that mistake though.

I did bring back Bennett to shore up the midfield in place of Conway. But I could be persuaded to bring back Evans or Smallwood in place of Travis as well.

Where I don’t think we should let Hull off the hook though is with our attack. Palmer, Dack, Rothwell and Armstrong could cause them real problems. Dropping three of them to play Graham, Bennett, and Evans, and bringing Smallwood (or even keeping Conway) is a negative move and could well invite pressure and see us trying to play on the break with no real pace to capitalise on it.

Despite Hull’s poor start (worse than us - they are below us) this was probably a game in our draw target column. Having dropped 2 points in our first two games, this would be an opportunity to upgrade that target and go for three points then make more conservative changes later in the game. Let’s at least go for it. 1 point isn’t that much better than 0. (That’s why they changed the win tally from 2 to 3 points nearly 40 years ago - to make teams go for wins more than draws).

Fun fact: I actually like the Iraqi league version of the rule. It would give managers like Bowyer and Mowbray nightmares though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994–95_Iraqi_National_League

27 minutes ago, Stuart said:

No I hadn’t realised - thanks. I wish you’d have told me yesterday when I made that mistake though.

I did bring back Bennett to shore up the midfield in place of Conway. But I could be persuaded to bring back Evans or Smallwood in place of Travis as well.

Where I don’t think we should let Hull off the hook though is with our attack. Palmer, Dack, Rothwell and Armstrong could cause them real problems. Dropping three of them to play Graham, Bennett, and Evans, and bringing Smallwood (or even keeping Conway) is a negative move and could well invite pressure and see us trying to play on the break with no real pace to capitalise on it.

Despite Hull’s poor start (worse than us - they are below us) this was probably a game in our draw target column. Having dropped 2 points in our first two games, this would be an opportunity to upgrade that target and go for three points then make more conservative changes later in the game. Let’s at least go for it. 1 point isn’t that much better than 0. (That’s why they changed the win tally from 2 to 3 points nearly 40 years ago - to make teams go for wins more than draws).

Fun fact: I actually like the Iraqi league version of the rule. It would give managers like Bowyer and Mowbray nightmares though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994–95_Iraqi_National_League

Bringing in Graham isnt a negative move. He is crucial in the way he is a focal point, his hold up is outstanding at times and he can get us up the pitch to allow our flair players to take advantage.

I agree with you in the main in terms of not adopting a negative mentality. I'd put Bennett and Evans in the centre of midfield, and then Dack, Graham and Armstrong are definites and the only debate is whether to start Palmer or Rothwell.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Bringing in Graham isnt a negative move. He is crucial in the way he is a focal point, his hold up is outstanding at times and he can get us up the pitch to allow our flair players to take advantage.

I agree with you in the main in terms of not adopting a negative mentality. I'd put Bennett and Evans in the centre of midfield, and then Dack, Graham and Armstrong are definites and the only debate is whether to start Palmer or Rothwell.

Not him per se but it is a less attacking than Armstrong.

It’ll be interesting to see the line up after such an emphatic win last time out.

Just now, Stuart said:

Not him per se but it is a less attacking than Armstrong.

It’ll be interesting to see the line up after such an emphatic win last time out.

Both worked well in tandem last season, and Graham doesnt deserve to be dropped, so id like to see both.

Grahams hold up would allow Armstrong, Dack and Palmer/Rothwell to run into the space he vacates when coming short for the ball. 

34 minutes ago, Drover said:

Will a draw be considered momentum? Feel we need our first win in the next 2 games or heads will start to drop

Draw wouldn't be the end of the world.  Unbeaten and all that.  Win would make it a good start. Lose and you would have to say (given who we've played) that it's a poor return.

Don't fancy us today. I think we will get our first win on Weds.

2-0 Hull.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Draw wouldn't be the end of the world.  Unbeaten and all that.  Win would make it a good start. Lose and you would have to say (given who we've played) that it's a poor return.

Don't fancy us today. I think we will get our first win on Weds.

2-0 Hull.

I'd always take an away draw. I think we might get one today.

edit . That was before I saw the team. I don't fancy us with that line up, losing by one now.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, bluebruce said:

Very surprised he has stuck with Arma up front. Could mean we are going for the win, or just that we plan to hit them on the counter with Armstrong's pace.

Or simply that TM is being cautious with DG's knees.

Usual cautious Mowbray playing Evans and Smallwood

• Like 1