BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Other Football League 2018/19

32 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Harry Kewell sacked by Notts County, they only appointed him in September

Didn't take Mystic Meg to see that one wouldn't work out. It surprises me when clubs in the lower leagues make odd appointments like this one. In my opinion it would make far more sense to appoint a manager from the leagues below who has done well. 

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Didn't take Mystic Meg to see that one wouldn't work out. It surprises me when clubs in the lower leagues make odd appointments like this one. In my opinion it would make far more sense to appoint a manager from the leagues below who has done well. 

Tbf Ipswich and Shrewsbury both did that and it didn't get them very far either. To some degree I think it's just luck and circumstance, outside of the really terrible candidates who should never have been considered (Steve Kean). 

Interesting that there have been no PL sackings yet, especially considering the dire form of most clubs in the bottom half. I guess because they're all as shit as each other it doesn't make any of them stand out as being really shit.

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

Tbf Ipswich and Shrewsbury both did that and it didn't get them very far either. To some degree I think it's just luck and circumstance, outside of the really terrible candidates who should never have been considered (Steve Kean). 

Interesting that there have been no PL sackings yet, especially considering the dire form of most clubs in the bottom half. I guess because they're all as shit as each other it doesn't make any of them stand out as being really shit.

True , although I was referring more to appointments at League 1 level and below specifically your Edgar Davids, Sol Campbells and Harry Kewells. The Ipswich appointment was so bad because they replaced one of the most seasoned, experienced and practical managers in the Championship with a lad who had one decent enough season in League 1. 

Ya, there has been threats of a few. I backed Mourinho to be the first sacked this season at the end of last season at 16/1. Was sure I was quids in a few weeks back, but I'd say the Fulham manager or Sparky will probably end up going first now. I still firmly believe that the newly promoted teams would be better off sticking with who they have, even if they go down. If Fulham or Cardiff replace their managers I think it is unlikely they will improve much.  They will just end up back in the Championship with a worse manager than they got promoted with. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

True , although I was referring more to appointments at League 1 level and below specifically your Edgar Davids, Sol Campbells and Harry Kewells. The Ipswich appointment was so bad because they replaced one of the most seasoned, experienced and practical managers in the Championship with a lad who had one decent enough season in League 1. 

Ya, there has been threats of a few. I backed Mourinho to be the first sacked this season at the end of last season at 16/1. Was sure I was quids in a few weeks back, but I'd say the Fulham manager or Sparky will probably end up going first now. I still firmly believe that the newly promoted teams would be better off sticking with who they have, even if they go down. If Fulham or Cardiff replace their managers I think it is unlikely they will improve much.  They will just end up back in the Championship with a worse manager than they got promoted with. 

I wouldnt be surprised if Fulham sacked their manager, acknowledging that it would be harsh based on the promotion. Making that decision cant be based solely on whether he deserves it based on his whole tenure there, but also whether a new manager would improve them. There are definitely managers out there who could fix their main issues without the naivety that Jokanovic is showing. From what ive seen and ive seen them in their last 2 games, they are suffering from being terrible off the ball, inconsistent team selections, being disorganised, lacking fight (Tom Cairney isnt what you want as a captain in this situation) and conceding far too many goals. I think he will need to turn it round very soon.

With Cardiff, Warnock would be slightly grating me constantly going overboard on how they are overachieving to be in the Prem at all and that he prefers to be in the Championship. But hes got a Championship squad and arent capable of more than they are doing. They are definitely fighting and scrapping.

Hughes has a worse win record than Pelligrino so he has to be on the thinnest of thin ice. Not sure what hes about anymore.

• Like 1

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hughes has a worse win record than Pelligrino so he has to be on the thinnest of thin ice. Not sure what hes about anymore.

Being miserable and shit at his job by the looks of it. At least he was only one of the two before he left us. The old Rovers' curse kicking in again. Leave at your own peril.

Interesting article re: sacking PL managers:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/4614694

And looking back at the past 10 Premier League seasons, in all but one instance where a club sacked a manager (or he resigned after poor performance) during October and November, their average points-per-game return increased over the remainder of the season.

That's 14 sackings/resignations during that two-month period, 13 with an ultimately positive impact.

And interestingly, only one club that has sacked their manager in October or November during the past decade has gone on to finish lower than their position at the time of the dismissal - West Brom last season.

I strongly believe that if we'd gotten rid of Coyle earlier and brought Mowbray in around November time we would have stayed up in 16/17.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Bookies seem to think it'll either be Bowyer or Hurst taking over at Shrewsbury. Could potentially be a good move for GB, although he's never actually worked in a stable environment so it remains to be seen how he'd fare at a relatively normal club!

Hurst going back would just be sad for all involved. 

24 minutes ago, DE. said:

Bookies seem to think it'll either be Bowyer or Hurst taking over at Shrewsbury. Could potentially be a good move for GB, although he's never actually worked in a stable environment so it remains to be seen how he'd fare at a relatively normal club!

Hurst going back would just be sad for all involved. 

Hurst going back there would be bad move. Its a different squad to the one he had there. 

Bowyer would be good choice but Im not sure he wants to be a manager anymore and prefer the role Sporting Director. Could see him joining Notts County tbh. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bowyer would be good choice but Im not sure he wants to be a manager anymore and prefer the role Sporting Director. Could see him joining Notts County tbh. 

The same Notts County who wanted Bowyer in the summer? Good shout :rolleyes:

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/gary-bowyer-harry-kewell-leading-1939558

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bowyer would be good choice but Im not sure he wants to be a manager anymore and prefer the role Sporting Director. 

Where have you got that from? Last interview I heard he  said he was waiting to get back into it.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Where have you got that from? Last interview I heard he  said he was waiting to get back into it.

Heard he been doing a director of football course whilst at Blackpool. So ive put 2 and 2 together. Hope he comes back at management level at a good sensible club. 

Hurst going back to Shrewsbury after he taped up 3/4 of their best players who handed in transfer requests with just days of the transfer window left. It would split the fans as well. Some seem to think its a good idea where others think he is worse than the antichrist - cannot see it being a good move. You would have to think Shrewsbury from Blackpool would be sideways at best for Bowyer as Shrewsbury other than their wonder season are usually relegation favourites in L1. 

Darragh MacAnthony has to be the most unprofessional chairman (Peterborough) around. I'm amazed anyone would work with him.

Pandering to the fans and calling the teams performance "a shit show", amidst giving random fans information on player wages (confidential surely), transfer negotations etc.

Some will defend it as open and honest but it is the unprofessional, undermining ramblings of an attention seeker. 

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Darragh MacAnthony has to be the most unprofessional chairman (Peterborough) around. I'm amazed anyone would work with him.

Pandering to the fans and calling the teams performance "a shit show", amidst giving random fans information on player wages (confidential surely), transfer negotations etc.

Some will defend it as open and honest but it the unprofessional, undermining ramblings of an attention seeker. 

Ya, it would drive me mental if he was the rovers owner. If he tweeted about 1% of what he does  a season that would be OK, but he is constantly on it nattering away. Must have an enormous ego. 

I remember after we bet them at Ewood he tweeted about Taylor, the centre half who used to play for Newcastle. I think Taylor,  anyway the tweet was like something a fan would say down the pub. Really cutting. Talk about hanging a lad out to dry 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...