BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Other Football League 2018/19

13 hours ago, Tom said:

Either way that second series of the Sunderland Netflix series is going to have some drama 

If they don’t get promoted I doubt it will see the light of day.

7 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Despite Bradford City's ownership problems, Bowyer is taking a bit of a hiding from their supporters, having apparently made things even worse than they were before.

I find the comments about Rovers being back to where we were under Bowyer a bit odd. Under Bowyer, we were going anywhere but forward, as well as still feeling the strong stench from the Kean tenure. Bowyer will never get to manage a club of our calibre again - he did OK for us, and while he did well at Blackpool, he seems to have found his managerial level in the bottom two tiers of League football.

Mowbray, on the other hand, has revitalised us and stopped us taking primarily about the owners. He has also got some prestige to his name, having managed clubs such as Celtic, 'Boro, and West Brom - clubs that Bowyer won't even get close to. To me, the situation is completely different and much more optimistic than back then.

We were going forward before Venky's sold all the players. And the comments I've read from BCFC fans (from the same forum as you;) the ONE post about making them worse is there near the top of the Bowyer thread) suggest they blame the players. They are going to judge him on next season with his own squad. We can do that with Mowbray too, as long as his 'human qualities' allow him to replace the players he's loyal to with some quality Championship additions. I remember Bowyer doing that here, buying quality players than made the club a lot of money because he was good in the transfer market. 

72 and 67 points in Bowyers only two full seasons in charge after saving us from the drop. Mowbray couldn't even save us from the drop, let alone get 72 Championship points the season after. 

Silly point about 'levels' of football too. Mowbray's last job before us saw him rock bottom of League 1, like Bowyer is now. The difference being Mowbray took Cov there, Bowyer found Bradford there. 

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

We were going forward before Venky's sold all the players. And the comments I've read from BCFC fans (from the same forum as you;) the ONE post about making them worse is there near the top of the Bowyer thread) suggest they blame the players. They are going to judge him on next season with his own squad. We can do that with Mowbray too, as long as his 'human qualities' allow him to replace the players he's loyal to with some quality Championship additions. I remember Bowyer doing that here, buying quality players than made the club a lot of money because he was good in the transfer market. 

72 and 67 points in Bowyers only two full seasons in charge after saving us from the drop. Mowbray couldn't even save us from the drop, let alone get 72 Championship points the season after. 

Silly point about 'levels' of football too. Mowbray's last job before us saw him rock bottom of League 1, like Bowyer is now. The difference being Mowbray took Cov there, Bowyer found Bradford there. 

If Bowyer hadn't have been fired he would have relegated us in that season.

10 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Despite Bradford City's ownership problems, Bowyer is taking a bit of a hiding from their supporters, having apparently made things even worse than they were before.

I find the comments about Rovers being back to where we were under Bowyer a bit odd. Under Bowyer, we were going anywhere but forward, as well as still feeling the strong stench from the Kean tenure. Bowyer will never get to manage a club of our calibre again - he did OK for us, and while he did well at Blackpool, he seems to have found his managerial level in the bottom two tiers of League football.

Mowbray, on the other hand, has revitalised us and stopped us taking primarily about the owners. He has also got some prestige to his name, having managed clubs such as Celtic, 'Boro, and West Brom - clubs that Bowyer won't even get close to. To me, the situation is completely different and much more optimistic than back then.

Hmmm.

I think Bowyer did a brilliant job with us. I have more respect for him than anyone at the club since Venkys took over for his work in keeping us up and turning us around given the issues we had. Could we have finished higher in those two full seasons? Possibly, but then again we could have finished higher this season or last season so really you can carry that on indefinitely.

Things began to turn sour in his final season but I'm not sure how much of that can be pinned on Bowyer. Lets remember that by then he'd had Gestede and Cairney sold from underneath him, had been operating under a transfer embargo for several windows, was getting no funding from the owners and didn't even get to meet them in the summer of 2015. I also suspect the increasing involvement of Pasha from that point onwards played a part as he began to take more of an active role and its no coincidence that also around that time or shortly afterwards Bowyer allies in Shaw and Myers handed in their notice. I think Bowyer probably knew he was on borrowed time as Pasha wanted to assert his authority and bring in his own man (remember the rumours after the Brighton away game that he had been sacked?). Something was amiss from the summer of 2015 onwards.

Mowbray is still in the phase Bowyer was in during his first 2 years - all good - owners who keep out of the way, send him money for transfers from time to time and don't interfere. If we make it through another couple of years like that then I might start to believe they've turned a corner but it wouldn't surprise me to see things unravel again the moment Madame begins to lose faith or starts taking her advice from different people. We're now hearing worrying comments from the manager about having to go to India again this summer to speak to them and 'find out' what their ambitions are. This after apparently agreeing on a long term vision at previous meetings and having a multi-window strategy, now he has to meet with them again to discover what they want to do and presumably seek approval for a transfer budget. After all, she lost faith in Bowyer or at least allowed someone else to sack him after everyone thought he would be secure after making them fortunes in sales. Why won't she do the same with Mowbray if we don't keep progressing or if she gets up on the wrong side of bed one day?

I agree that Mowbray has that potentially crucial experience that a club like ours needs given the lack of know-how at ownership and boardroom level. A club of this size and stature with a vacuum of footballing know-how at most levels needs a proven pair of hands. If we want to go down the up and coming coach route then fine but we need to install the correct backroom and boardroom to enable that to happen.

I think Bowyer did extremely well for us and for Blackpool and given time will do a good job for Bradford.

I suppose he and Mowbray have had different opportunities in football management. Mowbray had a reputation as a decent level player, Bowyer didn't. Mowbray went up to Scotland to get his management career going which Bowyer didn't. Bowyer took over a mess of a club here, Mowbray had a smoother ride with Hibs. Mowbray got a good move to WBA in an era when British managers working in Scotland got moves to the top Championship clubs, which doesn't happen these days.

• Like 3

Big night for Accy this evening.

Doncaster chasing play-offs v Stanley

Luton chasing automatic promotion v Wimbledon

I think Stanley are currently at least a point short of what will be needed to play Bolton next season.

7 minutes ago, philipl said:

Big night for Accy this evening.

Doncaster chasing play-offs v Stanley

Luton chasing automatic promotion v Wimbledon

I think Stanley are currently at least a point short of what will be needed to play Bolton next season.

Doncaster are formidable at home. Stanley in for a tough night. A point would be excellent for them.

Stanley also travel to Portsmouth on the final day, who will need a win to get promoted or have a chance of doing. Can't see much for Stanley there.

So much rides on their home match v Plymouth. Win that and they'll be fine. A draw and they might be ok. A defeat and they'll be depending on Southend/Scunthorpe staying below them. Plymouth play Scunthorpe final day in a 6 pointer. Southend are at Rochdale at the weekend.

Just now, JHRover said:

Doncaster are formidable at home. Stanley in for a tough night. A point would be excellent for them.

Stanley also travel to Portsmouth on the final day, who will need a win to get promoted or have a chance of doing. Can't see much for Stanley there.

So much rides on their home match v Plymouth. Win that and they'll be fine. A draw and they might be ok. A defeat and they'll be depending on Southend/Scunthorpe staying below them. Plymouth play Scunthorpe final day in a 6 pointer. Southend are at Rochdale at the weekend.

Remarkable number of clubs not safe and remarkable number of games between clubs in danger in remaining few games. 

13 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Those 3 clubs all sacked him though, that's the way of it eventually.

But I agree we are in a better place now thanks to him but also to Damien Johnson (and Dunny).

• I believe remaining games make Accy nearly safe now. Only one of Plymouth Argyle or Scunthorpe United can finish ahead of Accy. Walsall and Bradford already impossible. Southend United need highly improbable wins v Rochdale and Sunderland and a Wycombe win or draw places Wimbledon below Accy.

Accrington Stanley v Plymouth Argyle
  • AFC Wimbledon v Wycombe Wanderers
    Rochdale v Southend United

Scunthorpe United v Bradford City
    Bradford City v AFC Wimbledon
    Plymouth Argyle v Scunthorpe United
    Shrewsbury Town v Walsall
Edited by philipl

7 hours ago, philipl said:
  • I believe remaining games make Accy nearly safe now. Only one of Plymouth Argyle or Scunthorpe United can finish ahead of Accy. Walsall and Bradford already impossible. Southend United need highly improbable wins v Rochdale and Sunderland and a Wycombe win or draw places Wimbledon below Accy.

Accrington Stanley v Plymouth Argyle
  • AFC Wimbledon v Wycombe Wanderers
    Rochdale v Southend United

Scunthorpe United v Bradford City
    Bradford City v AFC Wimbledon
    Plymouth Argyle v Scunthorpe United
    Shrewsbury Town v Walsall

I tried to work out the results that could send Stanley down, but I gave up. I don't think that they can based on the teams below them having to play each other. A draw at home to Plymouth on Saturday is all they need to officially secure League One football.

11 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I tried to work out the results that could send Stanley down, but I gave up. I don't think that they can based on the teams below them having to play each other. A draw at home to Plymouth on Saturday is all they need to officially secure League One football.

A series of improbable scorelines could see Bradford, Walsall, Scunthorpe and Accrington relegated. A single point v Plymouth or either of Wimbledon not winning or Southend not getting at least a point and they are totally safe this Saturday.

26 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I was trying to work it out last night. Only one of Scunny and Plymouth can catch them, which leaves one more place to avoid. I think they 'can' still go down but that would depend on Wimbledon winning both their games, and then on Southend getting 4 points from 6, and after that it would still need Rochdale, Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury and Wycombe to pick up at least a point from their games. Of course that's on the basis Stanley lose both of theirs.

They can go down, but it would be a very unusual sequence of results.

20 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Good to see Accy 3-0 up against Argyle, Nice touch to give every Plymouth fan a free pint for making the trip.

They'll need more than 1 pint after the performance the team are giving.