BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Other Football League 2018/19

• Backroom

Yeovil relegated to the National League. They were only in the Championship a few seasons ago. 

Looking like Sunderland are going to be in the playoffs. Honestly thought they'd get automatic. 

• Moderation Lead
Just now, DE. said:

Yeovil relegated to the National League. They were only in the Championship a few seasons ago. 

Looking like Sunderland are going to be in the playoffs. Honestly thought they'd get automatic. 

Remember when we ‘respected the point’ against Yeovil? Good times....

• Like 2

All in Barnsley and Luton’s own hands now to join us next season.

Could even be promoted without playing midweek due to Portsmouth’s game in hand.

Just now, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Stanley safe, 5-1.

Up to 13th!

Crazy League.

I’m glad last season wasn’t like this!

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Remember when we ‘respected the point’ against Yeovil? Good times....

I prefer to remember Yeovil from an FM game I played years ago where they got into the Prem, got rich and bought a lot of my cast offs without ever threatening my position in the table. They were the Everton to my Manchester United. And they never beat me 4-0.

Better memories than that game. I think that was when I knew for sure that Bowyer was never going to get us into the playoffs.

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

Prefer Luton and Barnsley to get up than Sunderland, Charlton or Portsmouth. Just have to hope that either Doncaster or Posh can do the business in the play-offs!

Luton and Barnsley now are automatically promoted after defeats for Sunderland and Portsmouth last night- only Sunderland's 4th defeat all season by the way.

Despite so many clubs being in contention to avoid relegation on the last day of the season, Sunderland and Portsmouth have points totals which would have got them to runners up spot in about 50% of seasons.

The other advantage to Luton and Barnsley coming up and hopefully also Doncaster/Peterborough is it takes away another excuse from Rovers. If it were Sunderland, Portsmouth and Charlton coming up you can guarantee there'd be talk from Waggott and Mowbray about how tough it is to try and compete with these clubs and their support. Mowbray has been at it frequently this season talking about other sides having 'full houses' even though they don't. Luton and Barnsley are the two latest examples of smaller clubs showing that reputations and crowds are diminishing in importance as they've left Pompey and Sunderland in the play-offs. In no measure can either of those clubs be considered better placed than Rovers. Two less examples for us to hide behind. With Huddersfield, Cardiff and Fulham coming down none of which get substantially bigger crowds (or at least won't when the Premier League numbers have dropped off).

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 2

They don't half show a load of crap live on Skysports etc. don't they?  No Mk Dons v Mansfield which is a fight for automatic promotion, yet the subscribers have a lovey dead rubber to look forward to later  . . and as for the abomination that is Scottish football . . .uurrgghhh. Sky have got a damned cheek to be charging such extortionate amounts for their sports subscriptions (especially when BT Sports seem to have taken a lot of the Prem games (including all the CL).

Edited by Husky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Husky said:

They don't half show a load of crap live on Skysports etc. don't they?  No Mk Dons v Mansfield which is a fight for automatic promotion, yet the subscribers have a lovey dead rubber to look forward to later  . . and as for the abomination that is Scottish football . . .uurrgghhh. Sky have got a damned cheek to be charging such extortionate amounts for their sports subscriptions (especially when BT Sports seem to have taken a lot of the Prem games (including all the CL).

If you mean Southend v Sunderland that’s not a dead rubber. As I type, with Plymouth winning, Southend are in the last relegation place. At the other end of the table the two automatic places are sorted so the relegation battle is the obvious place to be. Mind you the fact that Sunderland are the away team no doubt means that’s on rather than Plymouth v Scunthorpe.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm sure I have memories of them being a decent side in the old First Division under Jimmy Sirrel.

.... and a young Howard Wilkinson in the 1980s. 

Sad to see Notts go but they've been badly run for years

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm sure I have memories of them being a decent side in the old First Division under Jimmy Sirrel.

When Howard Kendall was bidding for back to back promotions, they were one of the three sides which went up- they came second to West Ham. Swansea pipped Rovers on goal difference- no play-offs in those days.

Rovers only scored 42 goals but the defence was mean; only 7 conceded at Ewood all season with just one home defeat but only four wins away as well.

Chelsea finished 12th in Division 2 that year...

Just now, jim mk2 said:

.... and a young Howard Wilkinson in the 1980s. 

Sad to see Notts go but they've been badly run for years

They have a really nice ground and training facilities but as you say Jim a succession of Bassini types have been allowed to get involved and the result is non league football.

I remember a player for them called Paul Deviln who was decent. He had a pet snake which he called Derek after the then chairman Derek Pavis.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

They have a really nice ground and training facilities but as you say Jim a succession of Bassini types have been allowed to get involved and the result is non league football.

I remember a player for them called Paul Deviln who was decent. He had a pet snake which he called Derek after the then chairman Derek Pavis.

Notts fans bitterly regret the sacking of Kevin Nolan, who had them near the top of the league barely 12 months ago I think. Notts panicked after some poor results and sacked him

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Notts fans bitterly regret the sacking of Kevin Nolan, who had them near the top of the league barely 12 months ago I think. Notts panicked after some poor results and sacked him

This is what can happen if you don't 'make it' when given your best opportunity.

I remember last season they were neck and neck with Luton many points above the rest of the pack.

Notts county got truly sawn off in the play-offs (both legs) and are now non-league (heading towards admin or Baseford County) yet Luton will be coming to the mighty former Premier League Champions.

Edited by Husky

1 hour ago, Husky said:

Plenty of empty seats at 'The Stadium of Light's. One would have thought a play-off game would be full for such a well supported big club.

Media bigged this up to be a 48,000 sell out. 

I wonder what went wrong?

Only a matter of time before they're building some 10,000+ breezeblock stadium next to the M60 somewhere. Already changed their badge, kit and dumped their nickname so that will be the final stage of the transformation from what they were to what the 'celebrities' want them to be. Too much time and money on their hands. Rather than retiring into the sunset after successful playing careers or going into coaching people like Beckham and Neville are all about self-promotion and keeping themselves in the limelight. Some might say its positive for Salford to receive this investment and propulsion through the leagues. I think it's a shame especially when the owners get more coverage and publicity than the club, fans or players.

Giggs involved despite being manager of Wales, Gary Neville despite being well in at Sky Sports, Phil Neville despite being manager of England women. Sky Sports sponsoring them whilst covering the Football League. All a bit suspect.