BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Other Football League 2018/19

On 01/05/2019 at 11:52, JHRover said:

The other advantage to Luton and Barnsley coming up and hopefully also Doncaster/Peterborough is it takes away another excuse from Rovers. If it were Sunderland, Portsmouth and Charlton coming up you can guarantee there'd be talk from Waggott and Mowbray about how tough it is to try and compete with these clubs and their support. Mowbray has been at it frequently this season talking about other sides having 'full houses' even though they don't. Luton and Barnsley are the two latest examples of smaller clubs showing that reputations and crowds are diminishing in importance as they've left Pompey and Sunderland in the play-offs. In no measure can either of those clubs be considered better placed than Rovers. Two less examples for us to hide behind. With Huddersfield, Cardiff and Fulham coming down none of which get substantially bigger crowds (or at least won't when the Premier League numbers have dropped off).

Haha, it certainly would be laughable if Waggott and Mowbray cite Charlton as getting massive home support these days...

Sunderland will actually still be getting £14m in parachute payments next year haha (although likely still to be a bit of a financial basket case. Their 2018-19 accounts should prove interesting reading...).

Certainly an oddly low Sunderland-Portsmouth attendance result yesterday. Lowest attendance of Sunderland's campaign, 6k less than the season average, and 14.5k less than when the same sides played only a month ago... Fans on the Sunderland forum seem confused about it too (though apparently was a great atmosphere).

Edited by RoverCanada

10 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

How this Mansfield Newport game is still 0-0 I don't know but a very enjoyable game with plenty of chances at both ends.

What terrific spirit shown by Newport with blocks, last gasp challenges and goal line clearances. Rovers could do worse than look at the Newport keeper Joe Day.

Just now, arbitro said:

What terrific spirit shown by Newport with blocks, last gasp challenges and goal line clearances. Rovers could do worse than look at the Newport keeper Joe Day.

Thought that myself, Cowley the Lincoln manager also saying he's one of the best in the division.

Just now, LDRover said:

No brainer then and you'd think it's a deal that could be done - I'm sure the player would fancy it.

I agree. I remember him playing a blinder against Spurs in the FA Cup earlier this year and immediately after the game he rushed off to be with his wife who had just given birth to twins. He is 28 and I think would see us as a huge step up.

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I agree. I remember him playing a blinder against Spurs in the FA Cup earlier this year and immediately after the game he rushed off to be with his wife who had just given birth to twins. He is 28 and I think would see us as a huge step up.

Not seen him but you have to ask yourself why is he playing for Newport at 28

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I think you have to watch his performance and judge them. His age is irrelevant but probably perfect age for us after young flapper raya 

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Any relation to Mervyn Day I wonder?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I'd never heard of him until January to be honest but some keepers don't reach their potential until much later than outfield players. It would be a low risk signing perhaps on an incentivised contract.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I wouldn't let that cloud your judgement, as Jim Arnold was 29 when we signed him from Non League Stafford Rangers. He was a quality keeper and followed the late Howard Kendall to Everton when he left us. I don't think he did much at Goodison, due to them also signing Neville Southall, but in my view was one of the best keeps we ever had. 

Edited by lraC
  • Like 1

Just now, lraC said:

I wouldn't let that cloud your judgement, as Jim Arnold was 29 when we signed him from Non League Stafford Rangers. He was a quality keeper and followed the late Howard Kendall to Everton when he left us. I don't think he did much at Goodison, due to them also signing Neville Southall, but in my view was one of the best keeps we ever had. 

Gems like this are fading out of the modern day game though. With more data analysts than you can shake a stick at it's a very, very rare occasion you'd be finding someone out of their level at 28. There will be 100+ videos of him training and playing circulated periodically to clubs to try and get his signature. Surely if he was any good some club would have took a punt on him earlier?

• Like 1