BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Other Football League 2018/19

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Gems like this are fading out of the modern day game though. With more data analysts than you can shake a stick at it's a very, very rare occasion you'd be finding someone out of their level at 28. There will be 100+ videos of him training and playing circulated periodically to clubs to try and get his signature. Surely if he was any good some club would have took a punt on him earlier?

You are quite right and it is a very  sad indictment of todays game. I just had a read, about Jim Arnolds career and he was even better than I remember. Granted he was back up, but he has a first division winners and European Cup winners cup medal amongst his collection. He kept a club record 19 clean sheets in our third division promotion season, under Howard Kendall and conceded only 29 league goals the following season in the old second division, when we lost out on promotion on that heart breaking day in Bristol.

Not bad for a guy signed from Non league at that age. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lraC said:

I wouldn't let that cloud your judgement, as Jim Arnold was 29 when we signed him from Non League Stafford Rangers. He was a quality keeper and followed the late Howard Kendall to Everton when he left us. I don't think he did much at Goodison, due to them also signing Neville Southall, but in my view was one of the best keeps we ever had. 

I can't comment on his ability as I havent see him play. 

We have all seen players have a worldie who when signed to a higher level are not good enough. I'm just saying to be playing at 28 for Newport it's more likely he had a good game than him being brilliant. Unless people have seen him play a few times 

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I can't comment on his ability as I havent see him play. 

We have all seen players have a worldie who when signed to a higher level are not good enough. I'm just saying to be playing at 28 for Newport it's more likely he had a good game than him being brilliant. Unless people have seen him play a few times 

I fully agree with that and wouldn't suggest making a judgement, based on one performance. It may well be that the Newport keeper wouldn't make the grade at a higher level, I was just pointing out that historically it has been done.

If nothing else, it brought back some good memories, thinking of Jim Arnold. I had the pleasure of meeting him too and he was a great guy as well as a brilliant keeper. 

• Like 1

The Football League have confirmed that Bolton will be docked 12 points next season after officially entering administration today.

I find it interesting to note that on the League's website they say they will be contacting the administrators to try and secure a long term future for the club.

Interesting because at Rovers, Charlton, Port Vale, Blackpool, Coventry, Bury etc. the League have said and done very little whilst dodgy people have wrecked clubs and have hidden behind it being private club business that they can do nothing about, yet now they're interested enough to try and help look after Bolton.

Interesting because they've proclaimed themselves to be 'competition organisers' and not 'regulators' yet the above suggests they are regulating and getting involved in the private workings of member clubs.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

The Football League have confirmed that Bolton will be docked 12 points next season after officially entering administration today.

I find it interesting to note that on the League's website they say they will be contacting the administrators to try and secure a long term future for the club.

Interesting because at Rovers, Charlton, Port Vale, Blackpool, Coventry, Bury etc. the League have said and done very little whilst dodgy people have wrecked clubs and have hidden behind it being private club business that they can do nothing about, yet now they're interested enough to try and help look after Bolton.

Interesting because they've proclaimed themselves to be 'competition organisers' and not 'regulators' yet the above suggests they are regulating and getting involved in the private workings of member clubs.

Ruben Partners LLP in... see there latest handy work at Blackpool and previously Coventry where the SISU holding company was a swapsie ending up on almost loosing there league place via the “golden share”.

Theyve no assets and a CVA needs 35 p to a pound for ordinary creditors and secured paid in full. 42 million of debt less Michael James of PBP would suggest 34 less Warburtons 2.5 million. Thick end of almost 15 million to get out of a CVA before you factor a proposed 8 million lose for a season in league one.

• Like 1

• Backroom
23 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

That's right, the people who earn the most get paid up and the "commoners' get zilch, good old PFA.

Am sure our Lowey was on the verge of being on the streets after the paltry wages he received here. What was it, a measly £20k a week or so? Where's his Asda vouchers?

27 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

That's right, the people who earn the most get paid up and the "commoners' get zilch, good old PFA.

I’m assuming that players pay into the coffers of the PFA?

Surely they should be able to rely on that organisation to help them out. Whatever we think of their salaries, times by 10 and divide by 50 because that’s their career earnings. Being optimistic £10k per week (£40k per month) for 10 years - absolute best case - becomes £8k per month over an equivalent 50 years. Still good but when you factor in that they will have a lifestyle based on their income and will still have to pay back the bank on their mortgage.

Now factor in that most of them won’t be on £10k per week.

I’ve a certain amount of sympathy IF they are paying into their union.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’m assuming that players pay into the coffers of the PFA?

Surely they should be able to rely on that organisation to help them out. Whatever we think of their salaries, times by 10 and divide by 50 because that’s their career earnings. Being optimistic £10k per week (£40k per month) for 10 years - absolute best case - becomes £8k per month over an equivalent 50 years. Still good but when you factor in that they will have a lifestyle based on their income and will still have to pay back the bank on their mortgage.

Now factor in that most of them won’t be on £10k per week.

I’ve a certain amount of sympathy IF they are paying into their union.

150 quid per season apparently

https://www.thepfa.com/players/membership

Edited by perthblue02

Newly promoted Bury in court today facing a winding up petition. Their players or staff haven't been paid for 2 months either.

Bit lower profile, so no help or publicity surrounding their plight.

Football stinks!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Newly promoted Bury in court today facing a winding up petition. Their players or staff haven't been paid for 2 months either.

Bit lower profile, so no help or publicity surrounding their plight.

Football stinks!

Rumours that their manager is going to Plymouth in the division below.

Good to see Bury survive until their next crisis.

Watched Pompey v Sunderland in back ground last night.

Both clubs woefully short on quality. Sunderland several players short of what will be needed to survive if they go up.

Ref extremely lenient with the cards also. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, philipl said:

Good to see Bury survive until their next crisis.

Watched Pompey v Sunderland in back ground last night.

Both clubs woefully short on quality. Sunderland several players short of what will be needed to survive if they go up.

Ref extremely lenient with the cards also. 

Did I imagine things, or did a Portsmouth fan try try to kick a player on the ground who’d tumbled over an advertising board?

45 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Did I imagine things, or did a Portsmouth fan try try to kick a player on the ground who’d tumbled over an advertising board?

He definitely did try (or actually did) to kick the Sunderland lad. I saw it in real time and couldn't believe it. The Pompey lump thrn wanted to fight several Sunderland players who came over to the scene. I read today though that the Sunderland player doesn't want to press charges.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

He definitely did try (or actually did) to kick the Sunderland lad. I saw it in real time and couldn't believe it. The Pompey lump thrn wanted to fight several Sunderland players who came over to the scene. I read today though that the Sunderland player doesn't want to press charges.

Pompey in the fa cup tried bashing a few outside Wembley I noticed. Drugs and football don’t mix well. 

6 hours ago, arbitro said: