BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Other Football League 2018/19

Very surprised at that. If this season wasnt a transition season for Blackpool I don't know what is. New owner, McPhillips walking at short notice, first full season Oyston free. I'd have expected him to be given the summer and the start of next season at the very least given his CV in that division. 

If Heckingbottom is the alternative Blackpool might wish they'd kept Grayson.

It was a really disasterous run he was on - 1 win in 12 (sound familiar?) so can understand it.

That said given the circumstances and his previous record - 4 promotions is no fluke- I'm a bit surprised they didn't give him longer. 

Perhaps the game is moving on past him as his last few jobs havent gone well but 4 promotions suggests he has something about him and Sunderland has been a negative on so many manager's careers I'm not sure it counts! Will be interesting to see if they appoint better. Am not sure that they will. 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Very surprised at that. If this season wasnt a transition season for Blackpool I don't know what is. New owner, McPhillips walking at short notice, first full season Oyston free. I'd have expected him to be given the summer and the start of next season at the very least given his CV in that division. 

If Heckingbottom is the alternative Blackpool might wish they'd kept Grayson.

Blackpool's owner said that promotion to the Championship over next few years in the summer. 

Didn't Blackpool signed 12 players in the January transfer window?

50 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

It was a really disasterous run he was on - 1 win in 12 (sound familiar?) so can understand it.

That said given the circumstances and his previous record - 4 promotions is no fluke- I'm a bit surprised they didn't give him longer. 

Perhaps the game is moving on past him as his last few jobs havent gone well but 4 promotions suggests he has something about him and Sunderland has been a negative on so many manager's careers I'm not sure it counts! Will be interesting to see if they appoint better. Am not sure that they will. 

Think he's made 3 poor steps in his career

Walking out of a secure job at PNE where his stock was high to join crisis club Sunderland - can understand the logic behind it but Sunderland a complete basket case.

Joining Bradford when they were being run by the German nutter who sacked McCall and appointed the youth team manager so he could run the team.

Joining Blackpool - in theory a sensible move to an ex club just after being taken over but it seems their fans weren't overly keen and they appear to have ideas beyond their station. As I said last week I'm not sure where Blackpool think they should be but I think mid-table League One is about right.

50 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Think he's made 3 poor steps in his career

Walking out of a secure job at PNE where his stock was high to join crisis club Sunderland - can understand the logic behind it but Sunderland a complete basket case.

Joining Bradford when they were being run by the German nutter who sacked McCall and appointed the youth team manager so he could run the team.

Joining Blackpool - in theory a sensible move to an ex club just after being taken over but it seems their fans weren't overly keen and they appear to have ideas beyond their station. As I said last week I'm not sure where Blackpool think they should be but I think mid-table League One is about right.

Agree shows how much the right club at the right time is. Rowett also marred his copy book jumping to a rapidly sinking Stoke (I think). It really makes a difference choosing the right club.   I wonder if 3 may be a bit much to be a coincidence but having said that none are easy circumstances at all and a lot of decent to good managers have failed there so I wouldnt count that one against him. Next job for him though will be huge. 

• Backroom

Dunn in temporary charge, interesting

Isnt he an agent these days?  I thought he was branching into that 

edit according to his LinkedIn he runs major league sports management 

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/david-dunn-21767783

Clients include Blackpool forward Joe Nuttall; surely you can’t be both agent and manager?

Edited by Tom

42 minutes ago, DE. said:

Lambo's horror run at Ipswich comes to an end with a 4-1 smashing of Burton Albion. Other results didn't go their way today though so still 7th and outside of the playoffs. 

You would think it was easy to get out of the division going off the credit Mowbray gets for doing so. 

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You would think it was easy to get out of the division going off the credit Mowbray gets for doing so. 

Ipswich have nowhere near the squad we had tbf. Not a single player who could hold a candle to the likes of Mulgrew, Dack, Graham, Nyambe, Raya, Lenihan, etc. We had a squad that shouldn't even have gone down from the Championship let alone been in League 1. Ipswich totally bombed out of the Championship and are arguably at their level with their current squad. With that said a decent manager would definitely get them out of that division. Lambert with a lot to do in the next few months if he wants to be managing in the Championship again next season.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

He did at the time, 2 years ago. Strange time to take this approach considering hes getting plenty of praise for today and rightly so.

Strange for you to feel the need to comment.

"Biggest budget in the league" "best squad" all phrases bandied about to downplay his achievement. Plenty of teams with the biggest budget or "best squad" didn't go up. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

Great result for Fleetwood against Peterborough. Barton doing very well.

AFC Wimbledon got a great point at Rotherham..ex Rovers coach Glyn Hodges there as manager. 

Blackpool played well until the sending off. Loss in end. Supposedly want Nathan Jones as manager to replace Grayson there. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Great result for Fleetwood against Peterborough. Barton doing very well.

AFC Wimbledon got a great point at Rotherham..ex Rovers coach Glyn Hodges there as manager. 

Blackpool played well until the sending off. Loss in end. Supposedly want Nathan Jones as manager to replace Grayson there. 

Listening to Radio Lancs it sounds like the Blackpool lads were busting a gut for Dunny. I like Joey Barton - a Robbie Savage with ability.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Listening to Radio Lancs it sounds like the Blackpool lads were busting a gut for Dunny. I like Joey Barton - a Robbie Savage with ability.

I’m not keen on the fact that he is a criminal , a fairly vile human , but he’s not in my camp, I’ve a couple of pals who have fleetwood season tickets who aren’t mad about him through principle or the chairman and his recent views ... fairly rare in football as we are normally so partisan 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Strange for you to feel the need to comment.

"Biggest budget in the league" "best squad" all phrases bandied about to downplay his achievement. Plenty of teams with the biggest budget or "best squad" didn't go up. 

Both true but if you are genuinely implying that Mowbray wasnt showered with praise and adulation when we got promoted then you are re writing history, whether it be on here or in person with 30k fans turning up to sing his name v Oxford, people turning up in town to see him and the team and celebrate, he got plenty of praise for it. 

I just think that theres a general undercurrent of people trying to imply that the fanbase is either unwilling to praise the manager when warranted or being unsupportive to the players and its untrue.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Both true but if you are genuinely implying that Mowbray wasnt showered with praise and adulation when we got promoted then you are re writing history, whether it be on here or in person with 30k fans turning up to sing his name v Oxford, people turning up in town to see him and the team and celebrate, he got plenty of praise for it. 

I just think that theres a general undercurrent of people trying to imply that the fanbase is either unwilling to praise the manager when warranted or being unsupportive to the players and its untrue.

I never mentioned the players, nor do I recall anyone else doing so. As for Mowbray, I don't think I'm involved in the "undercurrent" you mention ,as I'm saying it straight out.