Sign in to follow this  
S8 & Blue

Other Football League 2018/19

1 hour ago, Husky said:

Plenty of empty seats at 'The Stadium of Light's. One would have thought a play-off game would be full for such a well supported big club.

Media bigged this up to be a 48,000 sell out. 

I wonder what went wrong?

Salford now a league club. The media bang on about the class of '92, but it is Peter Lim owns 40%. He also owns Valencia and I think gave Gary Neville a managerial job briefly. So they'll be the lower league Man City for a while.

Only a matter of time before they're building some 10,000+ breezeblock stadium next to the M60 somewhere. Already changed their badge, kit and dumped their nickname so that will be the final stage of the transformation from what they were to what the 'celebrities' want them to be. Too much time and money on their hands. Rather than retiring into the sunset after successful playing careers or going into coaching people like Beckham and Neville are all about self-promotion and keeping themselves in the limelight. Some might say its positive for Salford to receive this investment and propulsion through the leagues. I think it's a shame especially when the owners get more coverage and publicity than the club, fans or players.

Giggs involved despite being manager of Wales, Gary Neville despite being well in at Sky Sports, Phil Neville despite being manager of England women. Sky Sports sponsoring them whilst covering the Football League. All a bit suspect.

We've lost three northern teams from the Championship so far, with two gained. Would be good if Leeds stayed down and Donny came up to the Championship to redress the balance.

On 01/05/2019 at 11:52, JHRover said:

The other advantage to Luton and Barnsley coming up and hopefully also Doncaster/Peterborough is it takes away another excuse from Rovers. If it were Sunderland, Portsmouth and Charlton coming up you can guarantee there'd be talk from Waggott and Mowbray about how tough it is to try and compete with these clubs and their support. Mowbray has been at it frequently this season talking about other sides having 'full houses' even though they don't. Luton and Barnsley are the two latest examples of smaller clubs showing that reputations and crowds are diminishing in importance as they've left Pompey and Sunderland in the play-offs. In no measure can either of those clubs be considered better placed than Rovers. Two less examples for us to hide behind. With Huddersfield, Cardiff and Fulham coming down none of which get substantially bigger crowds (or at least won't when the Premier League numbers have dropped off).

Haha, it certainly would be laughable if Waggott and Mowbray cite Charlton as getting massive home support these days...

Sunderland will actually still be getting £14m in parachute payments next year haha (although likely still to be a bit of a financial basket case. Their 2018-19 accounts should prove interesting reading...).

Certainly an oddly low Sunderland-Portsmouth attendance result yesterday. Lowest attendance of Sunderland's campaign, 6k less than the season average, and 14.5k less than when the same sides played only a month ago... Fans on the Sunderland forum seem confused about it too (though apparently was a great atmosphere).

Edited by RoverCanada

Lowest league crowd of the season.

Play offs matches aren’t covered by season tickets. So no surprise, as just like here, a good number of season ticket holders just don’t buy match tickets.

Charlton are walking all over Doncaster- 2-0 in Yorkshire as it stands, but it could well be more. 

18 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

Charlton are walking all over Doncaster- 2-0 in Yorkshire as it stands, but it could well be more. 

There is a 12-point gap between 5th (Sunderland) and 6th (Doncaster) in League One. Looks like that gulf is showing in this match.

20 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

How's Downing playing? He always looked an average L1 player to me.

Willem Tomlinson is starting for Mansfield in their second leg playoff semi-final against Newport. It should be a good chance for him to prove he is good enough.

How this Mansfield Newport game is still 0-0 I don't know but a very enjoyable game with plenty of chances at both ends.

10 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

How this Mansfield Newport game is still 0-0 I don't know but a very enjoyable game with plenty of chances at both ends.

What terrific spirit shown by Newport with blocks, last gasp challenges and goal line clearances. Rovers could do worse than look at the Newport keeper Joe Day.

Just now, arbitro said:

What terrific spirit shown by Newport with blocks, last gasp challenges and goal line clearances. Rovers could do worse than look at the Newport keeper Joe Day.

Thought that myself, Cowley the Lincoln manager also saying he's one of the best in the division.

Just now, LDRover said:

Thought that myself, Cowley the Lincoln manager also saying he's one of the best in the division.

He is out of contract at the end of June.

Just now, arbitro said:

He is out of contract at the end of June.

No brainer then and you'd think it's a deal that could be done - I'm sure the player would fancy it.

Just now, LDRover said:

No brainer then and you'd think it's a deal that could be done - I'm sure the player would fancy it.

I agree. I remember him playing a blinder against Spurs in the FA Cup earlier this year and immediately after the game he rushed off to be with his wife who had just given birth to twins. He is 28 and I think would see us as a huge step up.

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I agree. I remember him playing a blinder against Spurs in the FA Cup earlier this year and immediately after the game he rushed off to be with his wife who had just given birth to twins. He is 28 and I think would see us as a huge step up.

Not seen him but you have to ask yourself why is he playing for Newport at 28

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Not seen him but you have to ask yourself why is he playing for Newport at 28

I think you have to watch his performance and judge them. His age is irrelevant but probably perfect age for us after young flapper raya