BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Other Football League 2018/19

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Netflix will be delighted, surely?

I don’t see this being a regular annual programme. The US audiences would have wanted a nicely shrink-wrapped ending rather than another failure. Just look at the reaction to GoT.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

If only Sunderland had a manager who knew how to get out of that division with a "big budget".

Paul Cook?

He won the league and didn't have the highest budget.

29 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

What about the bitter, Schadenfreude demographic (like me! :D)

That’s why we watch football...

...and cheered with 6 seconds to go at the end, despite being relatively neutral. :D 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I cheered almost as loudly as if Rovers had scored and then went straight on Sunderland’s forum like a vulture.

I obviously have issues.

Haha, just been there an hour or two myself. 

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

Haha, just been there an hour or two myself. 

30 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I cheered almost as loudly as if Rovers had scored and then went straight on Sunderland’s forum like a vulture.

I obviously have issues.

Are they mad, sad or both? 

Nobody has any right to do anything but the situation at Sunderland arguably more unstable than it was here. New owners only just in the building last summer, back to back relegations, massive financial rebalancing to deliver, new manager who has never worked in England before.

Mowbray did well to get us straight back up but not doing so would have been failure, as Sunderland's season has been. Mowbray did his job, as Cook did his and Stendel did his at Barnsley. Jack Ross has failed and I expect he'll get the boot now.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Are they mad, sad or both? 

Their lowest finish in the league structure for more than 60 years and the first time ever they will be playing two consecutive seasons in division 3. Lots of anger being directed at the manager who apparently claimed he would get them promoted this season and a poor January transfer window which saw them lose Maja for free and replaced him with Grgg for 4 million who has been dire. 

A lot of what they write on there is similar to what is here really. No pace in the side, no height, two crab like midfielders with no mobility, they have an attacking midfielder playing as RB and their negative manager always tries to protect a lead instead of going for it. They are royally pissed that after being gifted a goal by Charlton that they didnt go for a shoot on sight tactic straight after as the Charlton keeper looked a bag of nerves after the own goal and instead tried to protect the lead once again. 

Edited by JacknOry

Yesterday just shows you have no right to just walk out of League 1. Puts our season in perspective and shows what a great job Mowbray did, even though some won't admit it! 

It shows what a lottery the play-offs are and how we very nearly ended up in them despite our squad being better than everyone else’s - even though some seem to think that Mowbray is somehow bigger than the club.

Just now, JHRover said:

Nobody has any right to do anything but the situation at Sunderland arguably more unstable than it was here. New owners only just in the building last summer, back to back relegations, massive financial rebalancing to deliver, new manager who has never worked in England before.

Mowbray did well to get us straight back up but not doing so would have been failure, as Sunderland's season has been. Mowbray did his job, as Cook did his and Stendel did his at Barnsley. Jack Ross has failed and I expect he'll get the boot now.

You could also argue the opposite by saying back to back relegation means they have a higher quality of player in League 1. A good few of their match day squad yesterday played Premier league with them. Their manager also spent considerably more than Mowbray. £4 million on a striker who didn't even start the final. He also signed, to name but 2 , Wylke and Power, both of whom would be on top League 1 wages. 

He will undoubtedly be sacked. I think what stood to us was Mowbrays experience in League 1, but also the the team spirit he instilled, along with the ability to grind out wins. 

Just now, Stuart said:

It shows what a lottery the play-offs are and how we very nearly ended up in them despite our squad being better than everyone else’s - even though some seem to think that Mowbray is somehow bigger than the club.

We didn't nearly end up in the play-offs. We were top 2 most of the season and finished 9 points ahead of 3rd. 9 points Stuart. That's not nearly ending up in the play-offs, sorry. 

Our squad was better, as was Sunderlands this season. The difference was our manager delivered and got the best out of them.

Not sure what you mean by your last sentence

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 5

On a side note, Charlton coming up is probably better for us anyway. They are going to lose Aribo, probably Bauer and their loan signings will be going back. Think they will struggle next season in the Championship tbh.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Their lowest finish in the league structure for more than 60 years and the first time ever they will be playing two consecutive seasons in division 3. Lots of anger being directed at the manager who apparently claimed he would get them promoted this season and a poor January transfer window which saw them lose Maja for free and replaced him with Grgg for 4 million who has been dire. 

A lot of what they write on there is similar to what is here really. No pace in the side, no height, two crab like midfielders with no mobility, they have an attacking midfielder playing as RB and their negative manager always tries to protect a lead instead of going for it. They are royally pissed that after being gifted a goal by Charlton that they didnt go for a shoot on sight tactic straight after as the Charlton keeper looked a bag of nerves after the own goal and instead tried to protect the lead once again. 

In fairness Cattermole and Leadbitter wouldn't be the two most dynamic midfielders. Give me Smallwood and Evans at that level all day. 

The Grigg transfer looks crazy now. What happened him there? 

Just now, JacknOry said:

On a side note, Charlton coming up is probably better for us anyway. They are going to lose Aribo, probably Bauer and their loan signings will be going back. Think they will struggle next season in the Championship tbh.

I thought the exact same. Sunderland could have got an injection of money if they went up and been mid table or higher. Charlton will struggle I feel. 

In fairness Cattermole and Leadbitter wouldn't be the two most dynamic midfielders. Give me Smallwood and Evans at that level all day. 

The Grigg transfer looks crazy now. What happened him there? 

Splits fans, some blame the midfield for not giving him the right service while others say it look like he doesnt want to be there. They reckon he never wanted to come but 4 million was too good to refuse for Wigan.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Splits fans, some blame the midfield for not giving him the right service while others say it look like he doesnt want to be there. They reckon he never wanted to come but 4 million was too good to refuse for Wigan.

I remember reading comments from Cook and thinking this. 

It was a real football manager buy. They would have been better off signing Conway, Smallwood and Downing off us along with Nuttall on loan! 

Didn't they sign that highly rated midfielder from Hibs, McGeogh I think his name is? That mustn't have worked out either

I wonder could we nab a few players from there. Oviedo might be worth a shout as competition for Bell. 

I remember reading comments from Cook and thinking this. 

It was a real football manager buy. They would have been better off signing Conway, Smallwood and Downing off us along with Nuttall on loan! 

Didn't they sign that highly rated midfielder from Hibs, McGeogh I think his name is? That mustn't have worked out either

I wonder could we nab a few players from there. Oviedo might be worth a shout as competition for Bell. 

Fans really rate McGeogh but seemingly the manager doesnt for whatever reason. Fans reckon he will be off.

McLaughlin is too good for L1 . Mcgeogh was identified by Ross to be ourfirst choice midfielder this season and yet has barely featured and wasnt even on the bench today . He is the only one of our midfielders capable of dictating the play and yet Ross didnt trust him..why would he stay..he will go back north

With new entries to the Championship being Cardiff, Huddersfield, Fulham, Luton, Barnsley and Charlton the only excuse for Rovers is parachute cash. Can't hide behind the usual 'massive' clubs with 25,000+ a week turning up as a reason we can't target success.

• Like 1

I was stunned to read yesterday that Cattermole is only 31 and contracted until June 21. I had him down as mid 30's and thought I was being generous. He is also on a reported £40k per week.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I was stunned to read yesterday that Cattermole is only 31 and contracted until June 21. I had him down as mid 30's and thought I was being generous. He is also on a reported £40k per week.

Jesus, they would have been better off keeping Rodwell! 

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We didn't nearly end up in the play-offs. We were top 2 most of the season and finished 9 points ahead of 3rd. 9 points Stuart. That's not nearly ending up in the play-offs, sorry. 

Our squad was better, as was Sunderlands this season. The difference was our manager delivered and got the best out of them.

Not sure what you mean by your last sentence

Shrewsbury fell away at just the right time for us. But you compared a season with the best squad in the division versus a play-off match, a one-off game, in which luck plays a huge part.

Ultimately, Mowbray did what was expected. It doesn’t mean another manager couldn’t have done it.

Last season’s best Rovers XI would have beaten Sunderland’s.