BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Other Football League 2018/19

On 15/02/2020 at 18:44, chaddyrovers said:

Great result for Fleetwood against Peterborough. Barton doing very well.

AFC Wimbledon got a great point at Rotherham..ex Rovers coach Glyn Hodges there as manager. 

Blackpool played well until the sending off. Loss in end. Supposedly want Nathan Jones as manager to replace Grayson there. 

Barton will hopefully be banned from football at the end of the season when his long awaited trial takes place.

Convenient of course that he can carry on through to the end of the season before standing trial for assault.

If I go to a football ground and assault someone I will almost certainly receive a banning order within a short period of time, even if it is my first offence.

Barton is still working in football almost a year after the alleged incident took place, still hasn't stood trial and has had no restrictions imposed.

Double standards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Coventry looking set for promotion but should be refused unless they have an adequate stadium in Coventry to play in.

I don't they should be refused promotion over the stadium issues. I will confess that I don't know the reasons why they aren't playing at Rioch Area

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't they should be refused promotion over the stadium issues. I will confess that I don't know the reasons why they aren't playing at Rioch Area

Coventry's owners are suing Wasps/Ricoh owners and have taken it to the European courts. They claim that the ground was unfairly sold to Wasps at a low price.

Wasps won't allow them to play there until they drop all legal action around it.

If the court action succeeds it could potentially bankrupt Wasps who could be ordered to pay millions more for the ground.

The Football League were clear after the Northampton farce that Coventry had to play in the City or within a few miles of it. Quite how they're allowed to play in Birmingham I am not sure.

They also supposedly had to progress building a new ground if the Ricoh wasnt viable. Hasn't happened.

As ever with the League their bark is worse than their bite. They'll come with these threats on their we website but when challenged or threatened will back down, as we will see with Ffp breaking clubs who still haven't been punished.

Why should Coventry be allowed in the Championship when many, many non League clubs are refused promotion for daft things like numbers of seats or size of toilets?

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Coventry's owners are suing Wasps/Ricoh owners and have taken it to the European courts. They claim that the ground was unfairly sold to Wasps at a low price.

Wasps won't allow them to play there until they drop all legal action around it.

If the court action succeeds it could potentially bankrupt Wasps who could be ordered to pay millions more for the ground.

The Football League were clear after the Northampton farce that Coventry had to play in the City or within a few miles of it. Quite how they're allowed to play in Birmingham I am not sure.

They also supposedly had to progress building a new ground if the Ricoh wasnt viable. Hasn't happened.

As ever with the League their bark is worse than their bite. They'll come with these threats on their we website but when challenged or threatened will back down, as we will see with Ffp breaking clubs who still haven't been punished.

Why should Coventry be allowed in the Championship when many, many non League clubs are refused promotion for daft things like numbers of seats or size of toilets?

If you think lower league clubs are hard done by, why deprive Coventry ,their players and fans of a promotion due to something outside their control? 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very long story, but JHRover has done a pretty good summary. When the council and a something called the Alan Higgins Trust sold their 50% shares to Wasps they paid up front. SISU, Coventry City's owners, tried to put their bid in through some shell company or something that was in receivership, which sounds dodgy to me. There has been constant talk of buying Coventry Rugby's ground, or building a new stadium on the old Speedway track that is now derelict. The former is unlikely as the rugby ground has been built up by the club and the owner John Sharp is not going to make it a tennant for a quick buck, and the latter is a non starter as there has been a huge legal battle over who owns it and what it will be used for, for years. Hence why it is derelict and there is no speedway team any more.

I agree, City fans have had enough crap to deal with over the last 10 to 15 years, and has really damaged the club's standing and the whole city. And if a stadium is not quite up to standard, a club should be given time to fix issues, as promotion is likely to mean more money. Money that can be spent on improvements.

On a side note, what is the rule about 3G pitches? The Butt's Park Arena where Coventry Rugby play (as well as the Bears rugby league team and Coventry Utd) is a 3G artificial pitch.

Not permitted in the EFL, I believe.

When Sutton United, who use one, were doing well in the cup the other year and towards the top of the National League, I remember them saying they wouldn’t be allowed in.

Edited by Mattyblue

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If you think lower league clubs are hard done by, why deprive Coventry ,their players and fans of a promotion due to something outside their control? 

It isn't outside their control to have a ground in their own city. Everyone else manages it including non League clubs who would love to swap positions.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It isn't outside their control to have a ground in their own city. Everyone else manages it including non League clubs who would love to swap positions.

Is it not? I'm not up on it. Why can't they just have their own stadium if its so simple? I just don't think the players and the fans should be deprived of a promotion due to factors without their control. I mean we had to deal with so much beyond our control. 

49 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Better scrap all Man Utd s honours then seeing as they play in the city of  Salford and not  Manchester! And Arsenal dicing with death eleven miles from Woolwich..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Better scrap all Man Utd s honours then seeing as they play in the city of  Salford and not  Manchester! And Arsenal dicing with death eleven miles from Woolwich..

They play in Trafford Borough (Stretford), not Salford.

But yeah, not in the borough of Manchester, like Citeh (and FC United).

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

• Backroom

Bolton are gone. No way they're getting out of it now. 20 points away from safety with only 16 matches left to play.

Sunderland with 4 wins on the spin are looking like they might be awakened from their stupor. Wouldn't surprise me to see them and Rotherham take the automatic spots. Coventry also in good form at the moment but think they'll end up in the playoffs along with Wycombe. 

• Like 1

Fleetwood into the top 6 today. Barton doing the business there. Rotherham got a 91st minute winner at Stanley today. Coventry second and Wycombe third with Sunderland 4th. Looked like Tranmere, Southend and Bolton are going down

in league 2, Swindon are top by 2 points, Crewe second, Exeter third point behind Crewe, and Plymouth 4th a point behind Exeter. all played 34 games. 

Lambert as we know doing a terrible job, a bizarrely huge contract will possibly unjustly keep him there.

Would expect Bolton to sack Hill sooner rather than later too. I appreciate that it is a difficult job but he certainly isnt getting anything based on results from a squad that definitely isnt the worst in the league, and has a very aggressive and disruptive personality, often criticising his players in public.

• Backroom

Hurst's position at Ipswich was already completely untenable by the time he was sacked, however if he had been hired at the start of this season I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be doing worse than Lambert is at the moment. 

55 minutes ago, DE. said:

Hurst's position at Ipswich was already completely untenable by the time he was sacked, however if he had been hired at the start of this season I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be doing worse than Lambert is at the moment. 

Lambert didn’t improve on results in the Champ Vs Hurst after he was appointed.

But still had the Ipswich fans eating out of his hand till now... Five year contract, the lot.

Strange folk, they inexplicably hated Mick McCarthy too.

At least we know Lambert’s brand of football is exhilarating and expansive.

? 

• Backroom
Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Lambert didn’t improve on results in the Champ Vs Hurst after he was appointed.

But still had the Ipswich fans eating out of his hand till now... Five year contract, the lot.

Strange folk, they inexplicably hated Mick McCarthy too.

At least we know Lambert’s brand of football is exhilarating and expansive.

? 

To be honest there's a hint of delusions of grandeur going on as far as Ipswich are concerned. A lot of their fans still fancy them as a big club based on winning the FA & UEFA Cups in the late 70s and early 80s. Never mind that they've barely achieved anything of note since then, other than a couple of good years in the late 90's and early 00's when they got promoted back to the PL and finished 5th during the first of their last two seasons in the top flight. Fact is most people remember them more for getting drubbed 9-0 by Man Utd in 1995. It has its own wikipedia page ffs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_United_F.C._9–0_Ipswich_Town_F.C.

With their budget they are nothing more than a lower to mid-table Championship club at best. It's a reality many of their fans still can't accept. 

• Like 1