BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Other Football League 2018/19

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 19:21, perthblue02 said:

Paul Scholes receives approval from the Football League to become Oldham manager

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/02/08/scholes/

Always liked Scholes. Brilliant player. I also have a bit of a soft spot for Oldham as it was my first away ground. They've always had a decent support base. I hope he does well.

The caveat is that they hate Rovers (bizarrely) so if he's shit that's good too.

Win win.

Sunderland have a right fight on their hands to go up. Looks a far more competitive division this year than last. Luton look like they will be difficult to catch, Barnsley are experienced at this level and that might stand to them. Then you have battle hardened veterans of the division in Portsmouth and Charlton knocking around. Squeaky bum time for Sunderland fans. You do not want to get stuck there for another season. 

Also, jesus I would hate to be a Peterborough fan, not just because their chairman is a moron, but because they are bloody constantly in 7th  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

I think Sunderland are of sufficient size that even if they don't go up they'll still be a force in that League regardless. But yeah with parachute cash dropping and the squad they have they'll probably have a huge job on their hands this summer. Seems their problem is drawing too many as they don't lose games.

It seems that with the exceptions of Bradford and Coventry the 'biggest' clubs i.e. those with the biggest crowds and Premier League history are gathering towards the top of that league - Sunderland, Pompey, Charlton, Barnsley - then Luton who have the momentum from last season and get decent gates themselves - then Doncaster and Peterborough who are regular top 6 pushing teams having been in the Championship recently.

Definitely more competitive than last season when we were streets ahead of the other top 6 sides other than Wigan.

39 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think Sunderland are of sufficient size that even if they don't go up they'll still be a force in that League regardless. But yeah with parachute cash dropping and the squad they have they'll probably have a huge job on their hands this summer. Seems their problem is drawing too many as they don't lose games.

It seems that with the exceptions of Bradford and Coventry the 'biggest' clubs i.e. those with the biggest crowds and Premier League history are gathering towards the top of that league - Sunderland, Pompey, Charlton, Barnsley - then Luton who have the momentum from last season and get decent gates themselves - then Doncaster and Peterborough who are regular top 6 pushing teams having been in the Championship recently.

Definitely more competitive than last season when we were streets ahead of the other top 6 sides other than Wigan.

I don't think being a force is really worth a damn unless they go up and quickly. Tricky if you get stuck in a rut there. Any of their players who decided to stick with them for "a go" at League 1 will leave, your Cattermloes etc, basically the equivalent of us not going up and losing your Mulgrews, Lenihans, Evans and Grahams. Then you have their players who performed well who will be picked up by Championship clubs, like what would have happened us with Dack. Credit to Mowbray for getting us out of there. 

10 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

It's been a very good game, and Accy don't look out of place. Smyth has been excellent.

Yeah looks quite pacey , and he's just scored, 2-0 Accy

Just looked on Wiki, only 21 and on loan from QPR

Sunderland just pulled one back

Edited by perthblue02

They wont go up and it will all be Rodwells fault.

You have to say that we picked a good time to go down. Really not good to get stuck in that division as BDS pointed out. You count on the core of your experienced Championship players to stick around to reverse what they helped cause like we did with Graham, Mulgrew, Bennett etc. They wont want to stick around for too long though and then you're fishing around for players in L1 - before you know it, you become a L1 team rather than a Championship team just relegated. They were able to attract some players in the summer who would have thought that they were hopping onto an almost guaranteed promotion charge into the league above, that attraction fades eventually. 

You have to admire Accy Stanley eh? With tiny crowds they continue to punch above their weight. Phenomenal achievement. The owner is getting an awful lot right

They are  my second favourite team, I always look out for their results. If we hadn't been promoted we'd have been playing them in a League game. I can't quite get my head around that!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 47er said:

You have to admire Accy Stanley eh? With tiny crowds they continue to punch above their weight. Phenomenal achievement. The owner is getting an awful lot right

They are  my second favourite team, I always look out for their results. If we hadn't been promoted we'd have been playing them in a League game. I can't quite get my head around that!

I too have a soft spot for Accy ever since the 60's and seeing photos of their then derelict ground.

Plus we got the gem Mike Ferguson from them in the days when being a Dingle was ok.

https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2019/february/statement-coventry-city-confirm-receipt-of-letter-from-the-efl-board/

Coventry facing expulsion from the League unless they can provide confirmation of their home venue for next season. Tricky situation as their owners are still taking legal action against the Council who won't negotiate on the Ricoh until it is dropped.

36 minutes ago, JHRover said:

https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2019/february/statement-coventry-city-confirm-receipt-of-letter-from-the-efl-board/

Coventry facing expulsion from the League unless they can provide confirmation of their home venue for next season. Tricky situation as their owners are still taking legal action against the Council who won't negotiate on the Ricoh until it is dropped.

The EFL flexing their muscles on Coventry whilst Bolton and Birmingham ride roughshod through their financial regulations. They should be looking to help Coventry not threatening them with expulsion and virtually killing off a football club.

I see Shaun Harvey is leaving the EFL at the end of the season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

The EFL flexing their muscles on Coventry whilst Bolton and Birmingham ride roughshod through their financial regulations. They should be looking to help Coventry not threatening them with expulsion and virtually killing off a football club.

I see Shaun Harvey is leaving the EFL at the end of the season.

Interesting that the League have only seemingly been forced into taking action as the deadline approaches and there seems to be a risk of a big problem developing if Coventry don't have a home ground next season and if the worst does come to the worst then they need to plan for next season. Only taking action when they've no choice but to do something.

Typical - do nothing for years as clubs are wrecked and only act as the problem begins to cause problems for them and their image.

You can bet if Coventry were planning on moving back to Northampton they'd happily approve it and leave it be for a few years.

It seems the only realistic alternative for them is to temporarily move to Nuneaton's ground up the road but it seems that might not be up to League requirements.