BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Why do we concede so many last minute goals?

You’ve got to be very careful taking off your best players as early as we did today.

68 minutes is far too early to be replacing Graham, he is invaluable in holding on to the ball and releasing pressure.

Now if it’s that he can’t last much longer than hour, we are going to have problems...

Edited by Mattyblue

2 minutes ago, Alex Rover said:

It feels odd.  Under Souness and Hughes when we were a goal up we'd lock it out.  Now if we are 1 up going into the finish, we seem to fall apart!

Our fitness under Hughes was second to none. They used to play 100 minute games in training didn’t they?

To put this mass hysteria of today into context, in Tony Mowbrays 62 league games in charge (including today), we have conceded 6 last minute goals that were winners/equalisers for the other team. I wouldn't say that was too bad to be honest.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 3

I haven’t seen any mass hysteria, just disappointment.

We looked ok until the subs. Lack of strength in depth, as we all know, need reinforcements seems to be the general consensus.

Didn’t expect one of those silly ‘hysteria’, ‘negativity’ posts from you Mark.

15 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

To put this mass hysteria of today into context, in Tony Mowbrays 62 league games in charge (including today), we have conceded 6 last minute goals that were winners/equalisers for the other team. I wouldn't say that was too bad to be honest.

Thanks Mark for the info. You are right 1000%

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

We looked ok until the subs. Lack of strength in depth, as we all know, need reinforcements seems to be the general consensus.

No Mark's post proves that people are posting things that arent true. People reaction on here has been OTT again per usual. 

8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Yeah that was a wrong phrase for on here really as like you say bar the odd post there hasn't been that much on here, i'll take that one back.

I have read a lot on my social media timelines in the last hour or two though so i think thats what prompted it.

I actually agree with Mick McCarthy on soccer saturday today, we haven't got the required experience/quality for when our better players leave the pitch, i really hope that is addressed this week as we'll get punished a lot more this season if we resort to sitting back on leads.

Edited by MarkBRFC

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Alex says it just ‘feels like it’ and asks for the stats, he isn’t saying anything untrue.

Is debate allowed?

Nothing wrong with debate. 

If we look at Coyle time it felt like we conceded late goals alot. 

Does @MarkBRFC has the stats for Coyle or Bowyer time here? 

Last time we played at this level we conceded in the last 10 minutes of games regularly. In fact I think I remember seeing a league table  were all the games had finished at 80 minutes that season, we were mid table !

Like it or not teams with a poor mentality concede at the end , teams with a good mentality score at the end.  I call it the Venky's curse. It's been happening much too often since they took over. 

The idea of bringing Conway on to give Williams an helping hand is looking at the game through the wrong end of the telescope. You play the game out in your opponents half as much as you can. You bring a winger on who's going to give their full back problems not give him the freedom of the flank to back up his own winger.

One thing you must have in that situation is somebody who can hold the ball up. Yeah, I know, it's obvious. You need a smart player who can buy the cheap free kicks that take you down the pitch and run down the clock. The sort of player who can take the sting out of your opponents. Taking both of our ball holding players off isn't the smartest thing to do. Samuel is not an hold up player, Nuttall is not an hold up player, Armstrong is not an hold up player, Gallagher is not an hold up player.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. I'll see how many goals we concede at the death and how many we score. Last time we played in this division I'd say for ever goal we scored near the end we conceded six or seven.

Anyway the clock is running, we are minus 1 goal and 2 points after today's game.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Last time we played at this level we conceded in the last 10 minutes of games regularly. In fact I think I remember seeing a league table  were all the games had finished at 80 minutes that season, we were mid table !

Like it or not teams with a poor mentality concede at the end , teams with a good mentality score at the end.  I call it the Venky's curse. It's been happening much too often since they took over. 

The idea of bringing Conway on to give Williams an helping hand is looking at the game through the wrong end of the telescope. You play the game out in your opponents half as much as you can. You bring a winger on who's going to give their full back problems not give him the freedom of the flank to back up his own winger.

One thing you must have in that situation is somebody who can hold the ball up. Yeah, I know, it's obvious. You need a smart player who can buy the cheap free kicks that take you down the pitch and run down the clock. The sort of player who can take the sting out of your opponents. Taking both of our ball holding players off isn't the smartest thing to do. Samuel is not an hold up player, Nuttall is not an hold up player, Armstrong is not an hold up player, Gallagher is not an hold up player.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. I'll see how many goals we concede at the death and how many we score. Last time we played in this division I'd say for ever goal we scored near the end we conceded six or seven.

Anyway the clock is running, we are minus 1 goal and 2 points after today's game.

Excellent post. Very astute observations.

Do not know about late in the game (80 minutes +) stats for conceding but the problem last time in the Championship was us conceding in the first 15 minutes and chasing the game. We actually topped the table (jointly with Wolves) for most goals against in first 15 mins

Last season (L1) we were bottom of the table for conceding in the first 15 mins

Edited by perthblue02

• Backroom
41 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Last time we played at this level we conceded in the last 10 minutes of games regularly. 

Yep, and we also regularly conceded two or more goals, so we're right back on track with that as well. 

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

So in 10% of games played we have conceeded late point losing goals.  Sounds a bit of an issue to me, when not just using a low single figure number. 

I wonder what the industry norm is,  lol

Edited by AllRoverAsia

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Basically what Mogga wanted to use Chapman for?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Our GD is Zero,  surely

Edited by AllRoverAsia