BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Why do we concede so many last minute goals?

Too often we try to defend as one goal lead when we should carry on playing the way we did to get the lead. If the opposition haven't scored for  80 minutes why change the tactics. It's rank bad planning.

• Like 1

Apart from the first 8 mins where we sat back and invited them on with yet another slow start that could have proved very costly I thought Rovers were very good and playing some real good stuff in patches.

Evans aside use of subs comes into question again possibly upsetting the balance when we were doing fine although I don't think the intention was completely to shut up shop at 1-0 to be fair.  It was a fantastic free kick that equalised and Reed was at fault giving away a totally needless free kick after he'd been pulled up several times for the same thing after he came on by an over fussy ref who'd clearly given a fee kick both ways every time players breathed on each other. Apart from that he looked very lively which was a plus.

Always seems with Rovers that if we don't gift a pointless goal away then the oppo will conjure up a beauty from somewhere !

Despite having similar to when we went down so far this season we've looked more than comfortable in this league yet similar to GBs time we can't grind out games regularly enough to make it really count.  We lack height now which is a waste of the great set pieces put in but you've got one centre half taking them aiming for the other all the time because no one else is over 6ft to get near them.

Lenihen again looks really ropey in a three at the back and that for me is an accident waiting to happen. Nevertheless another hard fought point in the bag, someone will cop a pasting again soon but I don't expect it to be Derby or Stoke !

35 minutes ago, Al said:

Too often we try to defend as one goal lead when we should carry on playing the way we did to get the lead. If the opposition haven't scored for  80 minutes why change the tactics. It's rank bad planning.

Stop being negative. :)

Mowbray called over first Reed and the Dack (who seemed quite puzzled by the instruction) immediately after outcry goal and we dropped deeper punting the ball up to Graham and Brereton. It was a panic move and brought Villa back into the game. Rovers should not have lost yesterday.

35 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Mowbray called over first Reed and the Dack (who seemed quite puzzled by the instruction) immediately after outcry goal and we dropped deeper punting the ball up to Graham and Brereton. It was a panic move and brought Villa back into the game. Rovers should not have lost yesterday.

Nonsense. We changed to 352 before we scored but they pushed on for the last 10- which is normal for teams who are chasing the game.

8 minutes ago, Biz said:

Nonsense. We changed to 352 before we scored but they pushed on for the last 10- which is normal for teams who are chasing the game.

It wasn't the formation it was the mindset.

16 minutes ago, Al said:

It wasn't the formation it was the mindset.

There are two teams Al. How do you expect Rovers to react if we are 1-0 down with minutes to go? It’s quite simple to accept the opposition will always go kitchen sink in those scenarios, as opposed to a few here who seem to think it’s non-reactive, utterly predictable tactics.

• Like 1

Just now, Biz said:

There are two teams Al. How do you expect Rovers to react if we are 1-0 down with minutes to go? It’s quite simple to accept the opposition will always go kitchen sink in those scenarios, as opposed to a few here who seem to think it’s non-reactive, utterly predictable tactics.

You attack them back like you did for the first 80 mins. It worked then.

3 minutes ago, Al said:

You attack them back like you did for the first 80 mins. It worked then.

But the opposition aren’t putting 4/5 behind the ball with nothing to lose, so when they’ve a set piece or a break, you naturally defend deeper in bigger numbers.

Im not trying to say there is no way round it, but I am saying a few seem ignorant of another team’s ability and/or impact late on.

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

We didnt lose Stuart. We drew. 

We change tactics before we scored due to Villa playing 2 up front

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Whilst Im sure that the tactical change was reactive following Villas change, I think @Stuart is more critical of HOW we went about countering that move. 

Well Villa top 2 were causing problems. To stop this 3 at the back counter this and stop them causing so many problems. Villa didnt trouble our goal as much as they were

59 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The minute you decide to start hanging on you're asking for trouble.

I didn't see us park the bus tbh. But you have to react to attacking substitutions of the quality they brought on.

Every team in the world has to consider the opposition, and I thought the balance we struck was ideal barring a clever foul bought by Grealish.

• Backroom

We just don't defend very well. We haven't for a long time. Our best form of defence is attack and has been pretty much the entire time Mowbray has been here. Going into the last ten minutes with only a one goal lead is pretty much the worst position we can be in (other than losing) because you can almost guarantee we're going to sit back and inevitably concede. It's pretty amazing that we held on against Brentford. Hull are just rubbish so that one was less surprising. 

Sometimes you just have to say "well done" or "good strike" whether its the first minute or the last. If a Brazilian, or a Beckham, had taken that free kick, everyone would be raving about it. It was a world class strike. 

There's always a blame culture whenever a goal is conceded, it would appear.

29 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

1) Cover the near side in your wall properly. The camera angle clearly shows a very curve-able gap for a left-footer.

2) Be careful on the edge of the box in dangerous areas. It was always a dangerous place to make a foul, and although Reed was working well to put his foot in during his cameo, it was naive to do it in that area when Grealish was running away from him.

I don't really disagree with your 'continuous improvement' sentiment but both of these technical issues are general ones, and not really related specifically  to conceding late goals. More often than not a shot round that wall into that corner isn't even on target, never mind nestling in the back of the net. It was a wonderful strike and pretty much unstoppable. As for giving the free kick away in the first place - yes, to be avoided where possible but it was still a soft decision I think. In the context of this thread I don't think the timing of that goal is an issue - I saw no evidence of us parking the bus - in fact if anything we didn't shore things up enough. 

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Sometimes you just have to say "well done" or "good strike" whether its the first minute or the last. If a Brazilian, or a Beckham, had taken that free kick, everyone would be raving about it. It was a world class strike. 

There's always a blame culture whenever a goal is conceded, it would appear.

Even Mowbray thought the wall wasn't right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Even Mowbray thought the wall wasn't right. 

It wasn't. They should have been a yard or two further over to the right. Poor play all around, Raya, the blokes in the wall. They left a hole that any decent left footed player could have put the ball down. Two yards to the right and the guy would have had nowhere to go except float one into the box.

Mowbray said the wall was a couple of bodies light and I think he is spot on but it begs the question why it didn't happen. The free kick was well executed but the gap left must have made Hourihane's mind up to go round the wall. A wider wall would have seen him having to get it over the wall and down which I think would have been more difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

This is getting beyond a joke. It's been going on too long. That's the 3rd time this season that we've conceded with the last kick of the game in how many games ? We were within an ace of making it 4 on Saturday. Don't let anybody try to tell me we haven't got a problem playing games out because we obviously have. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

• Backroom

I thought we were slightly unfortunate against Villa but that evened out and we were very fortunate not to concede again against Stoke.

Not sure if we concede more than average or it’s just always noticeable when you concede in that fashion 

During the nineties, Alex Ferguson went to an ancient Haitian shamanic witch-doctor, cursing the deepest darkest souls of our respective clubs in order to ensure that they would always score after 90, and that we would always, always concede.

Another theory - we are playing better teams and we shit ourselves.

• Like 2