BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Why do we concede so many last minute goals?

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think we can all agree that if we could have just held out in a few more games we could have been right up there. I wouldn't have thought that in August.

That's because this league is a very poor league. It's competitive because everyone is crap and inconsistent. You've got premier league sides with parachute money struggling and league 1 promoted teams doing okay along with so called big clubs flattering to decieve.

Still waiting for the Leeds implosion because it's coming. Top two will be Norwich and Sheffield United. Villa will finish outside the top six along with stoke and Swansea. 

I don't think money dictates this league unlike the premier league. The right balance along with a decent plan B gets you up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Today’s the first time I’ve watched us defend off the ball when we’re in danger under Mowbray. 

After watching those two goals conceded today, I’m convinced it’s the way we’re set up to defend. 

Look back at the build up to both goals- on both occasions, the back line is zonal marking. They’re nowhere near any of the Reading lads, meaning they get free roam and do whatever they want.

Everytime they came forward, that was the case though. The back line doesn’t seem be bother picking anyone up, unless it’s a set piece.

Edited by scotchrover

On 13/02/2019 at 22:04, scotchrover said:

Today’s the first time I’ve watched us defend off the ball when we’re in danger under Mowbray. 

After watching those two goals conceded today, I’m convinced it’s the way we’re set up to defend. 

Look back at the build up to both goals- on both occasions, the back line is zonal marking. They’re nowhere near any of the Reading lads, meaning they get free roam and do whatever they want.

Everytime they came forward, that was the case though. The back line doesn’t seem be bother picking anyone up, unless it’s a set piece.

Is it zonal marking or is it defenders leaving it for someone else? I would say the former. 

Also, I genuinely look at some of our defenders sometimes and think "is he afraid to header it as he doesn't want to hurt his head?" Lenihan puts his head in to be fair. A few of the others make me wonder though 

3 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Bumping the thread because its come to be like an old friend

Yeah, and reading the first few pages of guys trying to tell me black was white makes very interesting reading. There should be some very red faces  on here.  As my dad used to say -  " Don't piss in my ear and try to tell me it's raining ".

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

On 17/12/2018 at 11:29, JHRover said:

This season we have dropped 16 points from winning positions against Birmingham (2), Middlesbrough (2), Forest (2), Villa (2), Ipswich (2), Swansea (3) and Bristol City (3). We also have had a number of 'near misses' where despite being good value for the win we almost managed not to - Bolton, Hull, Stoke - and just about managed to hold on to a narrow lead - at Stoke because they missed a penalty, at Bolton because they couldn't hit a barn door and we were arguably fortunate with a fractional offside. Yes the result is all that ultimately matters and those 9 points gained could be crucial but those wins were hard going.

Last season we dropped 10 points from winning positions - Bristol Rovers (2), Wigan (2), Rotherham (2), Scunthorpe (2) and Fleetwood (2). We also had a massive number of games where we won but ended up doing so by a single goal margin and were hanging on for dear life at the end. Off the top of my head these were away games at Walsall, Scunthorpe, Bradford, MK Dons, Peterborough and home games v Southend, Gillingham and Bristol Rovers - games we ended up seeing through and winning however could easily have been a different story.

We cast our minds back to when Mowbray first arrived it was a similar story in our wins over Derby and Wigan - whilst we got the 3 points it was desperation stuff at the end.

I'm afraid it is a trait of Mowbray's teams that we appear unable or unwilling to kill teams off and have that fragility that sees points slip through our fingers in games where we are often the better side or well on top. Nobody is bothered in the slightest if we end up winning the games in question but when we start throwing points away, especially at home, concerns will be raised.

So if we want to put Saturday's collapse on Raya's shoulders and blame him for it then fine, but i think there's more to look at here. There's also a lengthy history of letting leads slip under this manager and squad and whilst we got where we wanted to be last season we may well not do this because of it.

Especially when we factor in how many have been lost late on in games this season - Birmingham, Villa, Forest, Ipswich - all the last 10 minutes or so. A lack of resilience and ruthlessness.

I wonder what the points dropped from winning positions is now and how many came late on?

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Lack of controlled aggression in defence. Take Lenihan out of it and none of Mulgrew, Rodwell, Nyambe, Williams or Bell are what I would describe as aggressive defenders. You need some warriors in this division.  Your Hendrys, Morans, Todds and Shorts. 

Lenihan has played a big part of it, indeed he has made the most defensive appearances out of anyone.

I look at for example Bristol City, and none of their defenders are warriors as you described. Middlesbrough were missing Flint against us but looked incredibly well drilled regardless. Good defenders dont need to be thugs or even overly aggressive.

Unfortunately, Rodwell isnt a defender full stop, Bell and Williams are simply not competent defenders and Mulgrew is past his best. With our goalkeeper regularly directly responsible for goals too its little wonder we concede so much.