BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Why do we concede so many last minute goals?

57 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Get your point Ian, but I think late goals are slightly different.

Remember 'Fergie Time' and all that, nowt to do with luck (or refs! ;)), his team scored a load of last minute goals because they were very fit players with a never say die attitude.

By the same token, a team that concedes a load of last minute goals wil be lacking something

Nail hit right on the head. Teams that concede regular in the last minutes of the game are lacking in either mental fitness or physical fitness, or both. Fergies teams scored regularly very late on because they had the physical fitness to play for the full 90 minutes and the mental resilience to keep playing football the right way under severe time pressure. They knew that five minutes is a long time in football and chances will come if you play your football and don't just keep lumping it onto the centre halves head from the half way line.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pk1875 said:

Worth considering, if you're a goal up in the closing minutes the opposition usually throw the proverbial kitchen sink at you and up their game by 20%. Lets be honest the Ipswich equaliser was disappointing but it was also a fluke. 

If you keep the ball in the opponents half " flukes " tend not to be fatal. When you have 18 players in your own penalty area anything can happen.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nail hit right on the head. Teams that concede regular in the last minutes of the game are lacking in either mental fitness or physical fitness, or both. Fergies teams scored regularly very late on because they had the physical fitness to play for the full 90 minutes and the mental resilience to keep playing football the right way under severe time pressure. They knew that five minutes is a long time in football and chances will come if you play your football and don't just keep lumping it onto the centre halves head from the half way line.

Also helps if the ref keeps adding time on until you score. Which was what ‘Fergie time’ was: that time beyond added time that only Ferguson was afforded. Even Moyes didn’t get it. In fact I think he got less! :D 

Just now, Stuart said:

Also helps if the ref keeps adding time on until you score. Which was what ‘Fergie time’ was: that time beyond added time that only Ferguson was afforded. Even Moyes didn’t get it. In fact I think he got less! :D 

You still need to be able to take advantage of the added time. Lots of times they did.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you keep the ball in the opponents half " flukes " tend not to be fatal. When you have 18 players in your own penalty area anything can happen.

So true. We sat back for that last 15 minutes or so, or were forced back, depending on your view and this invites disaster. They can't score if the ball is in their half and we didn't have the players to do that.

1 fluke, 1 error is all it takes to lose 2 points.

• Backroom

The shot itself was a fluke but the goal came about due to a lack of closing down and our insistence on allowing Ipswich into our half for the last fifteen minutes. If we aren't fit enough to see out the 90 minutes then there's still work to do, although the heat may have played a factor. 

• Like 1

I thought Mulgrew should have cleared their second goal. He let it run, either thinking it was going wide or to Rayas hands. 

I am a bit worried about Mulgrew when it comes to keeping his concentration week in week out from a defensive point of view 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

• Backroom
57 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I thought Mulgrew should have cleared their second goal. He let it run, either thinking it was going wide or to Rayas hands. 

I am a bit worried about Mulgrew when it comes to keeping his concentration week in week out from a defensive point of view 

He got away with it a few times last year. He's going to need to be more on his game this year and step up his concentration, particularly as he doesn't have the pace to make up for ineffective positioning or poor decisions. Lenihan will be able to cover in some situations but he's learning too, and will likely be looking to Mulgrew for guidance. 

• Like 1

As soon as Conway is subbed on you just know that the opposition is going to score.

For an experienced player he sure makes a lot of daft decisions  on the ball when we're trying to secure three points. No aerial ability either, can't figure out why he was given a contract extension this summer.

• 1 month later...
On 04/08/2018 at 18:51, MarkBRFC said:

To put this mass hysteria of today into context, in Tony Mowbrays 62 league games in charge (including today), we have conceded 6 last minute goals that were winners/equalisers for the other team. I wouldn't say that was too bad to be honest.

So its 7 late goals in 68 games? 

How many late goals have we scored under Mowbray management?

7 in 68 doesn’t sound out of the ordinary so maybe it’s just our perception that we concede a lot of late goals. Yesterday’s was a sickener, watched the game with friends and once we took the lead I said we would concede in the 93rd minute. Wish I’d put a few quid on it.

The conceding of crucial late goals has been going on since we got rid of Big Sam. It got to it's worst level under Coyle when it was one of the main reasons we got relegated. I don't think we've really addressed the issue properly since then. Last season opponents  weren't really good enough to cause us problems at the death and if they were we were usually winning by more than a goal by then.

We're not sufficiently solid in defence to allow teams to come at us for 10 or 15 minute spells and get away with it. The best place to play out a game is in your opponents half not in your own.

• Like 1

In my opinion one of the reasons we drop so deep is due to a lack of leaders telling their teammates where to defend. I was lucky when I played ( all be it at a low level) our keeper used to bellow at us all the time telling us to push up when defending. if you commit a foul  its easier to defend a 40 yard free-kick than a 20 yarder. 

We won a corner over on the Riverside in the last few minutes. It should have been played short to Dack or Graham to allow them to kill the game with their ball shielding skills, but no one showed for it and it was pumped in the box with possession inevitably squandered. 

No game management whatsoever.

• Like 1